S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

2016 S6 lunging issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 05:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperS4
Has happened in all 4 of my S6's. Its the transmission deciding to finally shift into 1st from 2nd. It can be a little unnerving at times but after it breaks in it pretty much goes away.
My S6 does it and so did my Golf TDI DSG. Workaround is put into paddle mode and never shift down from 2d as you come to a stop
Old 01-04-2016, 05:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My 2016 is smooth as butter. Are you sure the transmission isn't in dynamic mode?
Old 01-04-2016, 06:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by djwins
My 2016 is smooth as butter. Are you sure the transmission isn't in dynamic mode?
yes - I should have specified that. In regular "D" there is no such behavior
Old 01-04-2016, 07:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think this is intended behavior. The car turns into an absolute BEAST in Sport mode. Forget about all the comforts in comfort mode...they go out the window to deliver as much power as possible.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks everyone for the replies! And as far as mine, it happens in dynamic or comfort mode, as well as standard Drive mode as well as Sport ... Only time it doesn't happen (as was stated a few responses before) is when in Manual mode, and I have it in M2 and come to a stop ... It SMOOTHLY transitions to M1 with zero lunge or bump forward. I figure if it can do that there, why not at least in standard Drive or comfort mode?? I think I'll run it into the dealership tomorrow to see what they have to say!
Old 01-04-2016, 02:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

id also make sure that under car settings, your transmission isn't set to Dynamic mode. This could cause the lurching problem while still in D mode, I think.

Last edited by djwins; 01-04-2016 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Kevan Wall
Thanks everyone for the replies! And as far as mine, it happens in dynamic or comfort mode, as well as standard Drive mode as well as Sport ... Only time it doesn't happen (as was stated a few responses before) is when in Manual mode, and I have it in M2 and come to a stop ... It SMOOTHLY transitions to M1 with zero lunge or bump forward. I figure if it can do that there, why not at least in standard Drive or comfort mode?? I think I'll run it into the dealership tomorrow to see what they have to say!
Definitely get it checked. No sign of any stopping lung with my 2016 S6.Today I tried it in dynamic mode, in D and S and it was perfectly smooth coming to a fast stop and a slow stop.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Since it does have a dual clutch SMG transmission, a little bit of noticing popping in and out of gear is expected at low speeds. However, I wouldn't call the little bit of movement at slow speeds I find as "lunging". I rode in a 16 S6 the other day, which behaved the same way as mine.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:32 PM
1A6
AudiWorld Newcomer

All,

I have 2015 A6 with supercharged v6, 7 spd auto and my car started exhibiting this behavior back in late February 2018. Upon bringing my car to the Audi dealer, they were baffled. After involving a field tech, and four (yes 4) engineers from US corporate and Germany, and after a total shop time of about five weeks, they traced the problem down the the J533 data bus module. It was sending the wrong voltage to the transmission based on mapping which was causing the transmission to delay shifting post stop. They also cleaned the throttle body, and replaced the entire wiring harness that went to all modules and all related systems. Nothing in their database could support the symptoms and cause. My car was in the shop for most of March and April. Apparently this is not a common problem, but if your A6 is experiencing this, have your service tech take a close look at the J533 module. Good luck!
Old 07-12-2018, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same experience. It’s a function of the DSG and not much can be done about it. I can modulate it by keeping my foot on the brake until I come to s complete stop. This seems to allow the transmission to smooth out and settle down. Then when I let my foot off the brake there’s no lunging or surging.
I agree it is annoying.

Quick Reply: 2016 S6 lunging issue