S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

2017 A6 front License Plate Removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 A6 front License Plate Removal

Hi,

I just purchased a 2017 A6 3.0T from a private user in a State where front plates are required.

The car has 7,500 miles and it was just serviced. The deal was very good compared to buying it new.

The only issue with the car is that it has the front plate assembly on the grill. Does anybody know how the front grill looks or have any pictures with this removed? Are there any options or filler kits available to fix this without having to buy a new grill (the dealer told me that it will cost me $635 for the grill plus around 5 hours of labor @ $120/hour).

Here is a picture of the front of the car. Have been looking on other threads but couldn't find anything for a new A6. This is my first Audi, being driving a VW CC which I love but I am ready for a bigger and more powerful car!
Old 08-02-2017, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I got some plastic plugs at Home Depot for a couple bucks and I think it looks just fine.

Excuse the bugs

Old 01-01-2018, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HiTEC
I got some plastic plugs at Home Depot for a couple bucks and I think it looks just fine.
Glad I found this thread. I just removed the bracket from my new S6, which come with the stupid factory with it, since it's a front-plate state (still think dealers have to order that). The main reason is bracket blocks airflow to the radiators, which on a high-output turbo engine is never good. Left the holes alone for now, since the plugs I had laying around had a much wider stem, and no way I was going to drill even bigger holes (also in case I ever need to put it back). Will look for those plugs at Home Depot. Where exactly did you find them? I'd like something nicer looking, but at least those should work fine. I assume you didn't enlarge the holes anymore, correct? Thanks.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HiTEC

Excuse the bugs

Surprised that nobody has done any protective screens to protect the radiators from small rocks. I did this on my S4 and will be doing so on my S6. I used black gutter screen and wired it in place.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by kczach
Surprised that nobody has done any protective screens to protect the radiators from small rocks. I did this on my S4 and will be doing so on my S6. I used black gutter screen and wired it in place.
I made a guard a couple years ago.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a7-...guard-2906257/
Old 01-22-2018, 10:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Surprised that nobody has done any protective screens to protect the radiators from small rocks.
I just did it yesterday. I always use black fiberglass screening with the small holes. Never an issue with overheating. Tried to remove the bottom tray, but stupid Audi put a freaking harness at the front and couldn't remove it. But left it pulled out which created enough space to pass the screening thru. Removed the air intake and top engine compartment shelf, and safety-wired the screening at the 3 locations where the radiator has like a 'W' thing. Cut it to 27.5". A lot came out the bottom, but when everything was reinstalled, cut the excess flush with the bottom tray. The middle 2 bolts went thru the screening (made an 'X' so bolts went it easy). With the angle from the top to the bottom cooler, there's a lot of cushion for rocks and crap to not touch the radiators. Should have done that before my trip to Houston. With that stupid storm, I got pelted big time on my way out of the city. Also wish I had installed clearbra before, but couldn't do it. Thankfully no piercing of radiators, but got a few good hits. Removed and repaired as best as I could, then installed the screen. Looks like removing the grille shouldn't be too difficult. My car was drilled for the stupid front plate, and there's no way to fix that. Bought plugs that look okay, but would like an RS-looking grille. Maybe later I'll change it. Doesn't look that diffucult if it's similar to the other link. I just don't want to remove the bumper just for that. Anyway, what I really like about using fiberglass screening on the radiators is it cleans super easy, and radiators not only get protected from debris, but bugs never clog the radiators, always providing peak cooling, which is important where you're into the 100s for months. Bought the screening at Lowe's; it's pretty cheap, and lasts for several cars.

Last edited by elp_jc; 01-22-2018 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default S6 front grill carbon fiber strips - before/after

Old 11-24-2018, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Anyone have the license plate bracket they removed? I'm looking to pick one up for my black optics grill. C7.5 S6. PM me if you want to sell. Thx!
Old 11-24-2018, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dr bryan
Anyone have the license plate bracket they removed? I'm looking to pick one up for my black optics grill. C7.5 S6. PM me if you want to sell. Thx!

I’ll check but just curious why would you want to put that on ???
Old 11-24-2018, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Required by law here and they ticket often for it in places I frequent. I know it's ugly but better than the stupid tow hook mounted ones. I've already got the holes courtesy of dealership original owner bought it from:

Quick Reply: 2017 A6 front License Plate Removal