S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

2017 Audi S6 or 2018 S5 Sportback??

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Audi S6 or 2018 S5 Sportback??

Hi All, I've been lurking on these forums for years and about to switch over to the Audi Family from having a number of BMW's...

I've ordered a 2018 S5 Sportback fully loaded but have the opportunity to buy a 2017 Audi S6 moderately optioned at a decent price..

Does anyone have any thoughts on which direction I should go? Part of me wants to wait for the better technology in the S5 Sportback and optioned the way I like it but part of me wants the bigger engine of the S6. Both cars are incredible and I'm excited to drive either.

Thank you for taking the time to read/answer this!
Old 04-28-2017, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts

I was contemplating swapping my '16 S6 for a S5 sportback. I had a '16 S5 before my S6. I'm just not sure I can go back to the smaller displacement - even though I love the idea of the hatch.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Really? Are you trolling? Seems like a no brained to go with the S6. To me it's a nicer vehicle, better looking and much more compelling than the 5, even considering the new virtual cockpit. Now is a great time to pick up the C7.5 for a great price while the masses go for new 4's, 5's and Q's.

I suppose over at the A5/S5 forum they'll tell you the opposite, however.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Not surprised people cross shop these. The reason I never looked at the S4/S5 was the lack of back seat room in the B8 but I was pleasantly surprised how much room there is in the new A4 so I don't expect the S5 SP be any different. I have considered the S5 sport back now it's finally available in the US (although I haven't driven it) and it seems that Audi refined the interior of the B9 to the point it's almost better than the current C7. The hatchback is really much more practical, but we have had the S7 for a while too (although at a premium): The B9 is seriously a giant leap forward when it comes to these points, having said that the V8 is just in a league of its own and for that reason alone I would choose the S6. Also the 17s have CarPlay support and that's really the only thing I miss in my 16. I'd say (if you haven't already) try to drive a regular S5/S4 back to back the S6 and see for yourself which one you like more. I think now that I've had the S6 for a while I wouldn't want to go back but they're both amazing cars and Audi bringing the sport back here does make it a bit more compelling to at least have a look at it. Now if we could have the S6 Avant...
Old 04-28-2017, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Haha. Definitely not trolling and I'm leaning towards the S6 (hence why I posted it in the 6 forums )

having said that the hatch was appealing but not a need to have. My only issue with the S6 is it doesn't have all the options I like. I can live without red brake calipers and B+O sound system but it doesn't have the black optic package! It has the 20's but not the ones with the BO package.

Thank you for your replies. I'm sure I'll spend a bunch of time reading about them this weekend... my wife will be psyched.. haha
Old 04-28-2017, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silent Drone
Really? Are you trolling? Seems like a no brained to go with the S6. To me it's a nicer vehicle, better looking and much more compelling than the 5, even considering the new virtual cockpit. Now is a great time to pick up the C7.5 for a great price while the masses go for new 4's, 5's and Q's.

I suppose over at the A5/S5 forum they'll tell you the opposite, however.
I'm with you, SD. I have a 16' 3.0L A6 and would love to have the S6 but it's a bit pricey. I'm thinking about trading in the A6 for the 18' S5 sportback but if I had the means I'd think about getting the 17' S6 or wait to see the updated 18' S6.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

About half of the S6s for sale around me have the BO package, it's a pretty popular package overall. Are you looking at a specific dealer? It shouldn't be a problem to get a good deal anywhere now on a 17 S6...
Old 04-28-2017, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm in NYC area but happy to travel (within reason) to pick up a car. My first M3 (20 years ago) was located 300 miles away and it was great to break in the car and drive it home!
Old 04-28-2017, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have one other issue. My lease is up end of May and no one seams to know when the S5 SB's are arriving! I'm buying the Audi and can live without a car for s few weeks but when I was at the NY auto show the Audi rep said he didn't know when they will arrive. One heard middle of June, the other thought September! Anyone here have a guess?
Old 04-28-2017, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

The A5 sportbacks have been released from port and are at dealerships now. A number of S5 sportbacks are at the ports but I have not heard when they will actually be released.

Quick Reply: 2017 Audi S6 or 2018 S5 Sportback??