S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

48K8 Steering SW Update

Old 09-03-2013, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 48K8 Steering SW Update

Anyone else had this done? My steering is noticably lighter now, even in Dynamic. Not sure I like it. I would typically attribute this to "placebo effect", but I actually thought my SA told me it was a SW update for the brakes. Started driving, said "Hmm, brakes feel the same, but the steering is different" and went back and looked at my paperwork.

BTW, no other TSBs/updates on my late-build '13 (no IC screen, no transmission update, etc.).
Old 09-03-2013, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Lots of discussion on this. Here's one:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2852758
Old 09-03-2013, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Lighter? Dear gawd no. I can't imagine the steering getting anymore numb.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Lots of discussion on this. Here's one:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2852758
Thanks, I searched the S6 forum but forget sometimes abut the A6.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Posted this in the A6 thread on the steering update, but wanted to ake sure it was here as well:

Guys,
I would urge any of you that have received this update and are not happy with it to contact Audi Customer care. I for one am very disappointed that I have received a "non-reversible" software update that has compromised the sporty feel of the steering in Dynamic mode. I logged a complaint with Audi, but obviously it will take more than one complaint for them to revise the software again.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Had 48k8 yesterday

TSB 48k8 made relatively little difference. It might be lighter, I'm not sure. In any event, I think there is no degradation in road feel, as there was little to begin with. Anybody know the purpose of this TSB? My dealer (bell Audi in NJ)did not seem eager to do this unless I had a specific complaint.

My car was built Feb 2013. It already had protective grill and newer thermostat. however, the 19J1 S update/quality package gearbox control unit upgrade really removed most of the harsh downshifts which frequently kept me from driving in Dynamic with my wife aboard.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DD1546
TSB 48k8 made relatively little difference. It might be lighter, I'm not sure. In any event, I think there is no degradation in road feel, as there was little to begin with. Anybody know the purpose of this TSB? My dealer (bell Audi in NJ)did not seem eager to do this unless I had a specific complaint.

My car was built Feb 2013. It already had protective grill and newer thermostat. however, the 19J1 S update/quality package gearbox control unit upgrade really removed most of the harsh downshifts which frequently kept me from driving in Dynamic with my wife aboard.
Just got mine back yesterday after the 5k service. I haven't noticed a difference in the steering, but have only driven about 30 miles since then.
Paperwork says "This update (48k8) advises you to perform an SVM flash to the power steering control module to prevent the following condition from occurring: When making minor steering movements while driving in a straight line in Audi vehicles with electromechanical power steering manufactured within a specific period, the customer may occasionally perceive slight irregularities with the assistance provided by the power steering. This phenomenon mainly occurs when the temperature is around the freezing point. This is a comfort-related issue; therefore no warning symbol lights up."

Hooray for the 19j1 update!! BIG difference in the neck snapping down shifts in sport mode.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by nobbyv
Posted this in the A6 thread on the steering update, but wanted to ake sure it was here as well:

Guys,
I would urge any of you that have received this update and are not happy with it to contact Audi Customer care. I for one am very disappointed that I have received a "non-reversible" software update that has compromised the sporty feel of the steering in Dynamic mode. I logged a complaint with Audi, but obviously it will take more than one complaint for them to revise the software again.
Coming from a '13 S4 driver the new update essentially removes dynamic mode in the steering. This is unacceptable!! Come everyone demand Audi fixes this right!!b
Old 09-19-2013, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by nobbyv
Anyone else had this done? My steering is noticably lighter now, even in Dynamic. Not sure I like it. I would typically attribute this to "placebo effect", but I actually thought my SA told me it was a SW update for the brakes. Started driving, said "Hmm, brakes feel the same, but the steering is different" and went back and looked at my paperwork.

BTW, no other TSBs/updates on my late-build '13 (no IC screen, no transmission update, etc.).
YES it truly sucks!!! There is essentially no dynamic mode now!!! I loved my dynamic mode steering. Let's push Audi to fix this. After all we paid to have dynamic mode!!
Old 09-20-2013, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tukansam
YES it truly sucks!!! There is essentially no dynamic mode now!!! I loved my dynamic mode steering. Let's push Audi to fix this. After all we paid to have dynamic mode!!
The only way they'll know people aren't happy is if you call them and let them know. There isn't anything your dealer can do; they're given an update and told "do this". Call Audi Customer Care.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 48K8 Steering SW Update