S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

A4 to S6 upgrade. What to expect?

Old 02-16-2015, 05:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zekeman
If the '17 facelift looks like that, personally I'm unmoved. Front end looks like a Ford and there simply is nothing special or that much of a change - not feeling it at all.
Z
That's funny. I looked at the pics and thought the front looked pretty sweet but that the back looked like a Chrysler.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by amelen
2016 was an exception since the re-fresh was done on the EU schedule. I wouldn't expect the new A6 to be sold in the U.S. for at least 2.5 more years. Going on sale mid-2017 as a MY2018 is a safe bet.
I would be stunned if Audi released the C8 models next year. For starters, why would they bother doing the facelift if they'll only get one year out of it? The next point, is that when looking at the A6s, the C5 came out in 1997 (calendar year, not MY), the C6 came out in 2004 (again, calendar year), and the C7 came out in 2011. Those are 7 year intervals, so releasing a MY 2018 in 2017 would still be a shorter interval than they've done with the last two cycles.

Another thing to remember for those of us S6ophiles is that the S6 doesn't come out when the A6 comes out. The C5 came out in 1999 (2 years after the C5 A6), the C6 came out in 2006 (again, 2 years), and the C7 came out in 2012 (still a year after the A6). In fact, they haven't offered the S6 every year in the US.

If history shows us anything, the C8 A6 might come out in 2017 (MY 2018) and the C8 S6 might not come out until 2018 (MY 2019). If they decide to wait the 7 years between cycles or delay the S6 by two years, it could be 2019 before the next one comes out. My guess is that the C8 S6 comes out in 2018, or the summer of 2017 at the earliest.

Audi has been very forward thinking for some time now. With a company like Audi, if you wait a couple years you are going to get a better version of the car. If you get the first year of a new generation, you might want to wait because they will iron out a few kinks after the first year.

I've waited long enough.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Parkles
I would be stunned if Audi released the C8 models next year. For starters, why would they bother doing the facelift if they'll only get one year out of it? The next point, is that when looking at the A6s, the C5 came out in 1997 (calendar year, not MY), the C6 came out in 2004 (again, calendar year), and the C7 came out in 2011. Those are 7 year intervals, so releasing a MY 2018 in 2017 would still be a shorter interval than they've done with the last two cycles.

Another thing to remember for those of us S6ophiles is that the S6 doesn't come out when the A6 comes out. The C5 came out in 1999 (2 years after the C5 A6), the C6 came out in 2006 (again, 2 years), and the C7 came out in 2012 (still a year after the A6). In fact, they haven't offered the S6 every year in the US.

If history shows us anything, the C8 A6 might come out in 2017 (MY 2018) and the C8 S6 might not come out until 2018 (MY 2019). If they decide to wait the 7 years between cycles or delay the S6 by two years, it could be 2019 before the next one comes out. My guess is that the C8 S6 comes out in 2018, or the summer of 2017 at the earliest.

Audi has been very forward thinking for some time now. With a company like Audi, if you wait a couple years you are going to get a better version of the car. If you get the first year of a new generation, you might want to wait because they will iron out a few kinks after the first year.

I've waited long enough.
All very good points, particularly with respect to the S6 being released at a later date than the A6. So, I'd get 2 maybe 3 years before the 2016 S6 is replaced.

Here's a bit of background from my perspective. My current Audi (A4 B8) was purchased in 2009. 6 years later, when I look at a new 2015 A4, I'm not seeing significant design changes (i.e. still within the 7 year refresh cycle). In some weird way, it feels like I'm still driving a new(ish) car. Since I typically keep a vehicle for 5 years, I'd like the same experience with my next vehicle - whether that's an S6 (preference), BMW 5-series, MB C63 or others in this class.

If I buy a 2016 S6 now (expected ETA if ordered today would be August 2015), the S6 would only be 2 years old (or maybe 3) when that "new" car feeling disappears as the C8 begins hitting showrooms.

I also think the recent facelift is a requirement for Audi to maintain sales volume in the final model year (or two). The my2016 structural and engine changes should have been a minimal retooling cost for Audi. As a result, I don't agree that these will slow introduction of the new generation. In fact, with Audi's desire to increase global sales volume with new and better differentiated models, they may decide to expedite the new generation.

Also, keep in mind that BMW is replacing the 5-series in 2017 as well. They are on track to do this a couple months in advance of Audi - so C8 delays are unlikely.

And yes.....I play the same mind games with myself when it comes to smartphones as well.

Last edited by bradaudi; 02-16-2015 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bradaudi
If I buy a 2016 S6 now (expected ETA if ordered today would be August 2015), the S6 would only be 2 years old (or maybe 3) when that "new" car feeling disappears as the C8 begins hitting showrooms.
I ordered mine three weeks ago. Estimated delivery is the first week of April. Still, to your other point, in 4 years there will likely be a C8 on the road.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I went from a B8 S4 with only an exhaust mod to an A6 3.0t and yesterday after a year with the A6, to a 2013 S6. I thought the A6 would give me similar performance to the S4, but that was not the case. The S4 had stout performance and in my 6MT, could be shifted optimally. In the A6, power was somewhat linear but to me, took a long time to build up. Once it got going it got going, but compared to the S4 it took a little too long to me to get there. Hated the way the A6 shifted as well. Way too many shifts, way too fast. The S6 is in another class of power compared to the S4 and A6. As the wife commented yesterday, the gas pedal has the feel of something with an unlimited well of power waiting to be tapped into. There is a very slight lag, but if you floor it, the S6 rockets off the line and from my limited driving so far, feels as though that power will not run out. Shifting is completely different than the A6. I could not imagine going back to a regular A4 after my first S4; I can't imagine going back to anything below the S6 (save maybe a TTRS) after two days in the S6. I can't even imagine what a RS7 or S8 must feel like based on the S6's performance.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sat down with the Audi dealer yesterday to get pricing on a 2016 S6.

Total price: $90,115 CAD - this includes head up display and black optics package (base: $88,500). This is with a 1% loyalty discount applied.

With the addition of winter tire/wheels, stoneguard, window tint, pdi, delivery, total price is $99,128 CAD.

A 1% discount for the Audi Supplier Program would be applied to the financing rate. This takes me from 4.9% down to 3.9% financing.

The supplier discount seems low though. I checked my sales invoice for my current A4 and it showed a 7% Audi supplier discount which I'm still eligible for. Is anyone aware of a change to the discounts?

For any Canadians following this - does the approx. $100k CAD for an S6 seem reasonable? What type of discount should I be able to negotiate?

Last edited by bradaudi; 02-28-2015 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sat down with the Audi dealer yesterday to get pricing on a 2016 S6.

Total price: $90,115 CAD - this includes head up display and black optics package (base: $88,500). This is with a 1% loyalty discount applied.

With the addition of winter tire/wheels, stoneguard, window tint, pdi, delivery, total price is $99,128 CAD.

A 1% discount for the Audi Supplier Program would be applied to the financing rate. This takes me from 4.9% down to 3.9% financing.

The supplier discount seems low though. I checked my sales invoice for my current A4 and it showed a 7% Audi supplier discount which I'm still eligible for. Is anyone aware of a change to the discounts?

For any Canadians following this - does the approx. $100k CAD for an S6 seem reasonable? What type of discount should I be able to negotiate?
In the U.S. it's 6% off MSRP. I'm not sure if it's different for Canada.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Oops, meant to add the following to the above. I showed my dealer a few of the articles regarding Audi's plan to upgrade the A6 in 2017.

He contacted his Audi Area GM and we received the following e-mail reply today:

"It’s true that the prologue will inspire the next gen A6 design.

That said, the timing in the articles is a little misleading. The A6 PI we see launching next month is a 2016 model. The next generation will not launch until the middle of the 2017 calendar year (at least 2 years from now), likely with a 2018 label on it. Beyond that, the S6 variant would likely not follow for 6-12 months."

This is actually very similar to the comments I received on this forum as well - so, well done!

I'm still nervous about a $100k investment only being current for 2.5 years - but it is what it is.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by amelen
In the U.S. it's 6% off MSRP. I'm not sure if it's different for Canada.
Thanks. I'll pass that along to the dealer. I know the markets are different - but that's a significant difference in discounts. I also just discovered that Audi Canada has stopped participating in the European Delivery program, which many Audi owners in the U.S. have indicated is a great experience. We have a trip to Europe planned later this year, so a bit disappointing from that perspective.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

People said the same about the S4 facelift, and the vast majority of S4's I see now are B8.5's. I suspect the facelifted A6/S6 will looks impressive in real life, though obviously if you're a fan of the more aggressive LED headlights in the current model, the A6 front end probably looks a little tamer to you now.

You're not alone - I think there are many that won't like the 2017 A6 change - for Audi the change is quite significant. Maybe that makes buying a 2016 S6 a better investment. Unfortunately, I expect that purchasing the last model year in a generation will result in faster depreciation and some element of buyer's remorse.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A4 to S6 upgrade. What to expect?