S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

A6 --> S6 questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default A6 --> S6 questions

Hi, all. I'm considering moving from my 2012 3.0T to an 2014 or greater S6 and have a couple of questions.

- Is the active noise cancellation a part of all sound packages and does it really work? The 3.0T's, mine included, are known to have a fair amount of wind and road noise.
- Do the S6's suffer from the same steering wheel wandering from the fly-by-wire system that the A6's do? TSB upgrades have helped but it's still there.
- Anything else I should know if any of you have made the same transition?

Thanks in advance for the replies!
Old 08-25-2017, 07:59 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

The S6 ANC system is purely to cancel the specific noise created by the engine when it is running in 4 cylinder mode. It does not cancel any other noises like wind or tire noise.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a decrease in wind noise in the facelift (MY16+) due to "double glass" in the front door windows. Enough for me to notice when I traded '14 A6 for a '16 S6.

Not sure if there are any differences in steering between the pre facelift A6 and S6, but the facelift is noticeable a little better. Not by very much though, it's still no BMW steering

Last edited by Tinbad; 08-25-2017 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

No Audi has a "fly-by-wire" steering setup (you're perhaps thinking of Infiniti). It does, however, have EPS (Electric Power Steering) - much like most cars built in the last few years.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The S6 steering is much better with the dynamic steering option. It can change the steering ratios based on the drive select mode.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
No Audi has a "fly-by-wire" steering setup (you're perhaps thinking of Infiniti). It does, however, have EPS (Electric Power Steering) - much like most cars built in the last few years.
Thanks. yeah, I used the wrong terminology. I'm disappointed to see the steering issue exists in the S6 as well. Glad to hear it's better in later years so maybe that will help when I make the move. It's funny, I get used to it in my A6 and then drive my 2002 TT 225 and immediately think, "now this is how a car is supposed to feel". Same thing for my wife's crossover SUV. It's a sad state of affairs when a GMC SUV feels more "consistent???" on the road (can't think of the right word).
Old 09-12-2017, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Go123
The S6 steering is much better with the dynamic steering option. It can change the steering ratios based on the drive select mode.
Thanks. It's better in my A6 under Dynamic as well. Still not where it should be though....
Old 09-12-2017, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gk1
The S6 ANC system is purely to cancel the specific noise created by the engine when it is running in 4 cylinder mode. It does not cancel any other noises like wind or tire noise.
Awww, that's too bad. I was hoping it was like being inside of big, noise cancelling headphones. I still find myself reaching over and raising all four windows even though they are already all the way up. Waaaaay more wind and road noise than my previous C5 A6.

Originally Posted by Tinbad
There's a decrease in wind noise in the facelift (MY16+) due to "double glass" in the front door windows. Enough for me to notice when I traded '14 A6 for a '16 S6.

Not sure if there are any differences in steering between the pre facelift A6 and S6, but the facelift is noticeable a little better. Not by very much though, it's still no BMW steering
Good to hear. More and more, it looks like I will move to a 2016 or later S6 when I make the move. Even though I don't like the look as much as the pre-facelift variants.