S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Anyone buy an extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 02:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
My wife just bought the extended warranty for her M5 from USAA which is Assurant. I looked at costs for my S6 and compared them to the Audi warranty. Not only was it cheaper but it covered a lot more including the expensive electronics like LED headlights and ACC. However, it was a lot more punitive with mods. Any changes to anything will void the entire warranty, related or not.
So are you saying that the Audi extended warranty doesn't cover LED headlights, etc. This is precisely the reason I want the extended warranty !!!!
Old 11-13-2013, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Vijay
So are you saying that the Audi extended warranty doesn't cover LED headlights, etc. This is precisely the reason I want the extended warranty !!!!
Correct. FYI, the "Audi Pure Protection" plans are not Audi factory warranties, they are third party, i.e. Fidelity. There are typically three or four levels available with "Platinum" being the most comprehensive (and most expensive).

from Fidelity:
http://fd-warranty.com/audi/coveragelevels.html

<table align="center" border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="95%"><tbody><tr><td>Platinum:
</td> </tr> <tr class="coverage"> <td class="coverage" bgcolor="#435BA1">In addition to offering the same features of the Powertrain, Silver, Gold, and Gold Plus, Platinum coverage expands to cover virtually all assemblies of your vehicle, giving you the "Ultimate Peace of Mind" protection.
Platinum coverage is "Exclusionary" which is the type of plan commonly referred to as "Bumper-to-Bumper" coverage, so it's actually easier to list what isn't covered. Here is the list of exclusions:
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="coverageoutline">
"Under Platinum coverage the following components are excluded:
Brake linings, brake drums and rotors, disc brake pads, standard transmission clutch components, air bags, solar powered devices, hinges, glass, lenses, sealed beams, trim, moldings, door handles, lock cylinders, tires, wheels, batteries, light bulbs, upholstery, paint, bright metal, freeze plugs, heater and radiator hoses, exhaust system, shock absorbers, audio, security or other systems not factory installed, work such as front-end alignment or wheel balancing, constant velocity joint boots, safety restraint systems, cellular phones, electronic transmitting devices (except for those specifically listed under Silver, Gold, or Gold Plus coverage), radar detectors, appliances, near object avoidance systems and all laser radar cruise control components, vinyl and convertible tops".

Note that besides headlights, "near object avoidance systems and all laser radar cruise control components" are also excluded which would mean ACC, Side Assist, Innovation IR detection, lane assist, parking sensors and presumably cameras would not be covered.
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Last edited by snagitseven; 11-13-2013 at 04:36 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I negotiated the extended warranty thrown in as part of the deal.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I leased for 48 months to avoid any out of warranty issues. The last thing I want is this car out of warranty. Plus I'm sure I'll be ready for something else by then. I figure some stage 2 or 3 tuning packages will keep me busy for a while :-)
Old 11-13-2013, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by qqq1970
I negotiated the extended warranty thrown in as part of the deal.
I'm sure you got a great deal on your purchase but an extended warranty, Audi Care or an Audi baseball cap has a cost to the dealer. In reality, anything "thrown in" is really a further discount equivalent to the dealer's cost of the item. Theoretically, one could negotiate their cost amount with a discount on the price or increased trade-in value. If the dealer has to pay for it, at the end of the day, it ain't free.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vijay
Exactly. The only reason I would really want a warranty on this car would be for the electronics which are not covered.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
Exactly. The only reason I would really want a warranty on this car would be for the electronics which are not covered.
Exactly.

That's why I'm paying for the Geico insurance. It does cover electronics.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I have to make a correction to my previous post re the Audi Pure Protection Fidelity warranty "near object avoidance systems and all laser radar cruise control components" not being covered. Apparently, their online info has not been updated and that exclusion line has been omitted in the sample contract I was sent. Those items would be covered with the Platinum warranty. All headlights are still excluded.

However, I did notice another clause in the contract that gives me pause. It basically states that components that would otherwise be covered can be determined to be wear items and not covered after 50K miles. This is concerning as it gives the insurer an out at 50K miles and the ability to refuse coverage. There is also a vagueness on which other parts they can apply this to with the phrase, "...not limited to..".

I was considering an extended warranty but am now having second thoughts.

On Page 5, #20 in the contract (all policies including the top Platinum):

THE FAILURE OF A COVERED PART DUE TO A GRADUAL REDUCTION IN OPERATING PERFORMANCE AS A RESULT OF NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR FOR VEHICLES WITH 50,000 MILES OR GREATER. PARTS SUBJECT TO THIS PROVISION SHALL INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO: STEERING AND SUSPENSION BUSHINGS, BALL JOINTS, TIE ROD ENDS, STEERING AND SUSPENSION LINKS, AND STEERING ARMS.

Then there's this exclusion:

BURNT VALVES, WORN OR CARBON FOULED PISTON RINGS, THE CORRECTION OF OIL CONSUMPTION, OR ANY REPAIRS FOR REDUCTION IN ENGINE EFFICIENCY THAT MUST BE PERFORMED ON YOUR VEHICLE;
Old 11-14-2013, 03:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I have to make a correction to my previous post re the Audi Pure Protection Fidelity warranty "near object avoidance systems and all laser radar cruise control components" not being covered. Apparently, their online info has not been updated and that exclusion line has been omitted in the sample contract I was sent. Those items would be covered with the Platinum warranty. All headlights are still excluded.

However, I did notice another clause in the contract that gives me pause. It basically states that components that would otherwise be covered can be determined to be wear items and not covered after 50K miles. This is concerning as it gives the insurer an out at 50K miles and the ability to refuse coverage. There is also a vagueness on which other parts they can apply this to with the phrase, "...not limited to..".

I was considering an extended warranty but am now having second thoughts.

On Page 5, #20 in the contract (all policies including the top Platinum):

THE FAILURE OF A COVERED PART DUE TO A GRADUAL REDUCTION IN OPERATING PERFORMANCE AS A RESULT OF NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR FOR VEHICLES WITH 50,000 MILES OR GREATER. PARTS SUBJECT TO THIS PROVISION SHALL INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO: STEERING AND SUSPENSION BUSHINGS, BALL JOINTS, TIE ROD ENDS, STEERING AND SUSPENSION LINKS, AND STEERING ARMS.

Then there's this exclusion:

BURNT VALVES, WORN OR CARBON FOULED PISTON RINGS, THE CORRECTION OF OIL CONSUMPTION, OR ANY REPAIRS FOR REDUCTION IN ENGINE EFFICIENCY THAT MUST BE PERFORMED ON YOUR VEHICLE;
It is strange that a warranty does not cover headlights yet Audi's Term Care Select maintenance plan covers complete headlight replacement under it's term.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by teelo
It is strange that a warranty does not cover headlights yet Audi's Term Care Select maintenance plan covers complete headlight replacement under it's term.
Not really. Fidelity'sTerm Select (it's not Audi's and only available to cars under 10K miles) provides a more expensive level of warranty protection above the Platinum program. If you spend enough money, you can get headlights and some other items covered.

Quick Reply: Anyone buy an extended warranty?