S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Audi Care math

Old 01-21-2014, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FYI re totaling car

Originally Posted by MalibuCANE
WOW! Glad I got them to throw mine in for free then, LOL.
The contract states you get $125 per unused service visit if the car is totaled.

Your calculations are basically correct, except you need the cash when service is due. Assuming equal intervals, one only earns interest on about half the sum that AC costs. Then again, while I did better than 12% in the market this past year, 2008 - 2010 were a bit slower, to say the least :-). I agree, though that one could easily get the dealer to throw it in in price negotiation. I made a happy impulse purchase and it didn't occur to me. As part of the deal, you're paying something too.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Care Saves

Originally Posted by wolf101
Just to throw on my finance hat - you're getting the discount due to putting money up front. As with all things money related, they did this for a reason, as you are not only assuming that you won't crash your car before you fully utilize the service, but the money you put down now wouldn't have made more money invested elsewhere like in the stock market.

Simple math says that with inflation (~2% in the US) and a 7-10% average return on the stock market, you'd expect money today will appreciate 12% every year (given a healthy stock market). Compound this over the period of the service terms and you'll find that you're saving much less than 64%.
But still saves you money and assumes the cost of service won't rise.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ITZNS4
But still saves you money and assumes the cost of service won't rise.
Which they are very likely to do. Outside of the other cost savings, AC is a hedge against rising service costs; again, this assumes you are going to have the dealer service the car anyway.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Aside from savings on service, AudiCare gets you an additional 1% higher residual value of your car if you lease. That 1% difference itself pays for almost the entire cost of the AudiCare.

The real savings is reflected in the DSG service.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by DD1546
The contract states you get $125 per unused service visit if the car is totaled.

Your calculations are basically correct, except you need the cash when service is due. Assuming equal intervals, one only earns interest on about half the sum that AC costs. Then again, while I did better than 12% in the market this past year, 2008 - 2010 were a bit slower, to say the least :-). I agree, though that one could easily get the dealer to throw it in in price negotiation. I made a happy impulse purchase and it didn't occur to me. As part of the deal, you're paying something too.
Good points - I just wanted to take the lazy route to broach the topic of the value of money.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Wow, I did not know this .... purchased my AudiCare at the time of delivery of my Q7. At the end of the 4 years/50K miles (October 2013), I had 30K miles on the odometer and had my 35K service done. The service intervals were performed at an annual basis because I was not putting 10K miles per year. In October 2013, I thought that was the end of my AudiCare coverage.

After reading this thread about AudiCare covering the 45K service, I called my favorite service advisor who said I am still eligible for the 45K service which will be done when my odometer hits 40K which will be very soon.

So AudiCare does not expire when the factory bumper to bumper coverage ends??

Last edited by s5blitzer; 01-24-2014 at 06:55 AM.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Blitzer, Audi Care is not directly linked to the factory warranty period. It simply states it covers the four scheduled maintenances at 15/25/35/45K miles (U.S.) or up to 4 years with each one every 12 months, whichever comes first. If your car is over 4 years old and your SA is willing to cover the 45K mi service, be happy and appreciative as technically, you're 4 months past the maximum 4 years to use AC.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Blitzer, Audi Care is not directly linked to the factory warranty period. It simply states it covers the four scheduled maintenances at 15/25/35/45K miles (U.S.) or up to 4 years with each one every 12 months, whichever comes first. If your car is over 4 years old and your SA is willing to cover the 45K mi service, be happy and appreciative as technically, you're 4 months past the maximum 4 years to use AC.
Thanks for the 4-year clarification. Hope he remembers what he said to me in 2 months time. I figured he knows what he is telling me since he looked up my service record as I was on the phone with him.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I believe its 10K miles or 1 year

Originally Posted by s5blitzer
Thanks for the 4-year clarification. Hope he remembers what he said to me in 2 months time. I figured he knows what he is telling me since he looked up my service record as I was on the phone with him.
Audi Care has to be completed with 5 years of vehicle delivery. They will do the service every 10K miles or every year, whichever comes first. I didn't buy it upon car purchase because I don't drive but 8K miles a year and thought that I wouldn't do 45K in 5 years.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DD1546
Audi Care has to be completed with 5 years of vehicle delivery. They will do the service every 10K miles or every year, whichever comes first. I didn't buy it upon car purchase because I don't drive but 8K miles a year and thought that I wouldn't do 45K in 5 years.
I stand corrected - it is indeed valid within 5 years from the in service date which would explain why Blitzer's SA said it would be covered.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audi Care math