S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Audi S6 vs. Lexus GS F

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Location: A place where I'm halfway to getting my degree. But with life reminding me, it's not easy.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by semperfi91
I had the pleasure of test driving both of these vehicles this weekend over in Seattle (had to go to the Griffey night at Safeco Field on Friday).

After lunch, we stopped by the Lexus dealership. I wanted to compare apples to apples so I just asked the guy if they had a car with a minimum of 450 HP. The guy said they have the GS F with 467 HP. I asked if they had one to drive and he said they had a 2016 available. So out on the road we went. Put the car in Sport + mode for the drive. The heads up display not only shows you the speed that you're going, but also a little mini speed limit sign of the road that you're on. And when you go past a speed limit sign on the road, the HUD changes as soon as you pass it. I thought that was pretty cool. I was not a fan of the little mouse that you use to navigate your way around the computer screen to change radio stations and what not. I will say the thing that I liked much better on the Lexus over the S6 was the sound. I really thought that the sound of the S6 was great. The GS F was awesome! As far as performance went, I couldn't say one was better than the other as I really couldn't open up the S6. I did, however, take the GS F up I-405 north quite a ways and was astonished at the responsiveness. It was truly a test ride like I haven't done before. They had a 2016 available for $71,900 which was the same price as the 2016 S6 I test drove.

Overall, I liked the interior of the S6 better (possibly becuz I've got the Q7 and just know it better). Both are extremely fast obviously. I'd pick the GS F for the sound of the engine for sure. I know I could get a Milltek exhaust upgrade for the S6 which would really make it sound great, but just stock sound, the Lexus had me.

Great two cars to drive though!

p.s. - Audi of Seattle has 1 of 50 of the new RS7 for only $147k. Absolutely breaktakingly gorgeous!
I actually didn't know that about the GS F when it comes to speed warnings. For as much as I look up the features for that car, I keep finding new little things. That is cool. I hear you on the mouse track pad. Many lexus drivers don't like it. As well as the infotainment system itself being a little dated. I'd love for Lexus to get something like Audis MMI or BMW's I-drive. For as much as I love Lexus, that is one major gripe I have with them (as do others). The car does make really good power. It's just that I as well as others, agreed that its intial MSRP was just a bit high, which is why they have't sold much. And even now, the prices have dropped so people are getting for 17k-20k off MSRP depending on where they are buying. If you would have been able to fully open the s6, you would've noticed the low end torque compared to the GS F. Turbo charging vs N/A and what not.

I agree with what you said and really appreciate your write up. Both are great cars for their own reasons and just goes to show it's great to live in a world where there are different choices. Lexus does have that N/A growl that people love and is going away with downsizing. Word is their supposed to make a TT V6 for the next GS F with HP output with over 500+ (Just made their first TT engine and put it into the 2018 LS. First LS to have V6 instead of V8), so we'll have to see. Also, I really like the sound of a turbo 6 vs 8. I'm probably in the minority, but I just like it better. More airy/slightly higher pitched?

and a measly 147k, you say? I wonder if they take school loan debt as a currency?
Old 04-18-2017, 01:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by semperfi91
I had the pleasure of test driving both of these vehicles this weekend over in Seattle (had to go to the Griffey night at Safeco Field on Friday).

I used to own an A6 wagon and upgraded to the Q7 TDI which will be bought back soon.

My girlfriend and I stopped by the Audi dealership in the U District and asked if they had an S6 available for a test drive after explaining that I am a current owner of the TDI and will be purchasing one soon. Brad said they had a bunch of A6's available, but not an S6. So we decided to take the A6 3.0 Supercharged out for a drive around the U District and up I-5. Felt great! Smooth and quick and much different than what I've been used to for the last two years.

We get back to the dealership and Brad says "lemme check to see if there's an S6 in Lynnwood". He comes back and tells me that they just got a 2016 S6 there in Seattle so back out on the road we go with that one. Much different than the A6. The sound was what really got me. We took that out for a spin around the block as I-5 was pretty much a parking lot. Not a lot of seat time, but pretty awesome none the less.

After lunch, we stopped by the Lexus dealership. I wanted to compare apples to apples so I just asked the guy if they had a car with a minimum of 450 HP. The guy said they have the GS F with 467 HP. I asked if they had one to drive and he said they had a 2016 available. So out on the road we went. Put the car in Sport + mode for the drive. The heads up display not only shows you the speed that you're going, but also a little mini speed limit sign of the road that you're on. And when you go past a speed limit sign on the road, the HUD changes as soon as you pass it. I thought that was pretty cool. I was not a fan of the little mouse that you use to navigate your way around the computer screen to change radio stations and what not. I will say the thing that I liked much better on the Lexus over the S6 was the sound. I really thought that the sound of the S6 was great. The GS F was awesome! As far as performance went, I couldn't say one was better than the other as I really couldn't open up the S6. I did, however, take the GS F up I-405 north quite a ways and was astonished at the responsiveness. It was truly a test ride like I haven't done before. They had a 2016 available for $71,900 which was the same price as the 2016 S6 I test drove.

Overall, I liked the interior of the S6 better (possibly becuz I've got the Q7 and just know it better). Both are extremely fast obviously. I'd pick the GS F for the sound of the engine for sure. I know I could get a Milltek exhaust upgrade for the S6 which would really make it sound great, but just stock sound, the Lexus had me.

Great two cars to drive though!

p.s. - Audi of Seattle has 1 of 50 of the new RS7 for only $147k. Absolutely breaktakingly gorgeous!

I'm curious as to the sound of the Lexus GSF that you are talking about. I'm sure this has is because the Lexus is a naturally aspirated 5.0L compared to the turbocharged 4.0 displacement of the S6. It's funny how everyone has different things that really change the overall perception of a vehicle. I was watching a review about the S6 and they were talking about the sport package option and has said that the big reason you'd opt for the sports package option was for the sport exhaust, and not because of the Sport differential, and the dynamic steering. To which I feel very strongly about both the dynamic steering and the sport differential, this car would not be as fun to drive with out those two things.

I love the subtlety that the S6 exhaust has regularly, and then in dynamic, the sound is slightly more aggressive, but adds those pop's and crackles to downshifting, which is great, and really puts a smile on your face while driving.

You have me curious now as to the sound of the Lexus GSF.
One thing for sure that is really worrying me, and we keep getting closer and closer to it... I'm not going to by a S6 or S7 with a turbo V6, I'll never look at this car again after they make that change. Because one thing for sure is you can't deny the sound of a V8 compared to a V6 no matter what.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Location: A place where I'm halfway to getting my degree. But with life reminding me, it's not easy.

Originally Posted by MikeS6
I'm curious as to the sound of the Lexus GSF that you are talking about. I'm sure this has is because the Lexus is a naturally aspirated 5.0L compared to the turbocharged 4.0 displacement of the S6. It's funny how everyone has different things that really change the overall perception of a vehicle.

One thing for sure that is really worrying me, and we keep getting closer and closer to it... I'm not going to by a S6 or S7 with a turbo V6, I'll never look at this car again after they make that change. Because one thing for sure is you can't deny the sound of a V8 compared to a V6 no matter what.
One of the better rev time videos I can find on YT

Of course, to really experience it (like with any car) yo have to hear it in person. Starts @ 2:17
Old 04-18-2017, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MikeS6
I'm curious as to the sound of the Lexus GSF that you are talking about. I'm sure this has is because the Lexus is a naturally aspirated 5.0L compared to the turbocharged 4.0 displacement of the S6. It's funny how everyone has different things that really change the overall perception of a vehicle. I was watching a review about the S6 and they were talking about the sport package option and has said that the big reason you'd opt for the sports package option was for the sport exhaust, and not because of the Sport differential, and the dynamic steering. To which I feel very strongly about both the dynamic steering and the sport differential, this car would not be as fun to drive with out those two things.

I love the subtlety that the S6 exhaust has regularly, and then in dynamic, the sound is slightly more aggressive, but adds those pop's and crackles to downshifting, which is great, and really puts a smile on your face while driving.

Pretty much what my Audi tech here back home in Yakima stated. He said that the GS F would sound more like a race car because it didn't have the twin turbos. The S6 had a low rumble/growl sound which was pretty cool also.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

When I first got my S6 I was parallel parking it and there was a cop standing on the sidewalk. When I got out of the car he walked over to me and said: "Damn! That engine sounds amazing!"