S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Back to an S6

Old 02-09-2015, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 2014 S6 and sold it last summer. Have had an A8L 2014 since then. Big mistake. Comfortable to be sure, but not fun. Just placed my order for a 2016 Sepang Blue Pearl S6. Here's how I ordered it.

Black optic package
Sport package
Prestige
Carbon inlays
Rear side airbag

I left off the cold weather package (I live in Minnesota). I wanted the flat bottom wheel and heated fronts and mirrors is really all you need.

I also left off the drivers assistance package. Most of this features work some of the time at best. Adaptive cruise stops working on long trips. Lane keep really never worked. I will miss the 360 degree camera view. Not a big deal.

I also thought the sport package was an okay deal because I don't think I will have to buy the awe exhaust again to make it sound proper (like I did before).

The 4G hotspot will be a nice win for sure (stream Netflix on the iPad in back for the little one). I will smoke the tail lights with laminix when they update their patterns. I think that looks nice. So, back to the club. Sorry for being away so long. Also. Audi club gave me the 6% coupon without the 6 month wait if I bought the lifetime. $800 for over $4k in savings. Easy math.

Last edited by stillwaterS6; 02-09-2015 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

It did sound great before.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations... Enjoy when it arrives. I do think you'll end up getting the AWE exhaust again; that just sounds too good to not have.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stillwaterS6
I had a 2014 S6 and sold it last summer. Have had an A8L 2014 since then. Big mistake. Comfortable to be sure, but not fun. Just placed my order for a 2016 Sepang Blue Pearl S6. Here's how I ordered it.

Black optic package
Sport package
Prestige
Carbon inlays
Rear side airbag

I left off the cold weather package (I live in Minnesota). I wanted the flat bottom wheel and heated fronts and mirrors is really all you need.

I also left off the drivers assistance package. Most of this features work some of the time at best. Adaptive cruise stops working on long trips. Lane keep really never worked. I will miss the 360 degree camera view. Not a big deal.

I also thought the sport package was an okay deal because I don't think I will have to buy the awe exhaust again to make it sound proper (like I did before).

The 4G hotspot will be a nice win for sure (stream Netflix on the iPad in back for the little one). I will smoke the tail lights with laminix when they update their patterns. I think that looks nice. So, back to the club. Sorry for being away so long. Also. Audi club gave me the 6% coupon without the 6 month wait if I bought the lifetime. $800 for over $4k in savings. Easy math.
Great build! Almost identical to my order
Old 02-11-2015, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by stillwaterS6

Black optic package
Sport package
Prestige
Carbon inlays
Rear side airbag

I would be interested in hearing more about what led you to the A8L first and anything else you can share as to why you punted. I'm currently wrangling with my decision between A6 S6 or A8 SWB.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

Every time I see Stillwater I think of this: The Current | Steve Irby ? A quiet ?thinkaholic? who made loud his life?s work

Kicker World Headquarters and Visitors Center & Museum - Architizer

Old 02-12-2015, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I may have missed it, but are the US spec 2016 S6's confirmed to be shipping with a flat-bottom steering wheel? I have yet to see an official photograph or test drive of a stock S6 equipped with a flat bottom steering wheel. Or are you just planning ahead on purchasing one and installing it yourself?
Old 02-12-2015, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

A friend has a 4.0t A8 and that thing is a bullet. Would be even more ridiculous with a tune. I think the one thing I can speak to, having only test-driven a S6 and his A8 is that overall the S6 is sportier and the power delivery is a little more aggressive in the S6. Not unlike the difference in power delivery between say a S4 and an A6 3.0T, although the S4 produces more power. But the A8 with the 4.0t engine is certainly no slouch.

Originally Posted by Puzz1
I would be interested in hearing more about what led you to the A8L first and anything else you can share as to why you punted. I'm currently wrangling with my decision between A6 S6 or A8 SWB.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

So the A8L decision:

I sold my S6 and had just my Miata for the balance of the summer. Once it started to get real cold I needed another car. I was looking on the lot for an A7, but a car seat didn't really work in the back (door opening shape). They had a used A8L with brown interior and I really liked it. It had all the options (massage seats, power sunshades) but wasn't super expensive because it was the 3.0 V6. So I got it.

Driving the A8 is a utility. A very comfortable utility. There is no sense of occasion. Also, most of the tech didn't work. Lane Keep sucks. Adaptive cruise struggles with lane changes and curves (I have had it break because there was a car directly in front of me but in the other lane. It's as though the system doesn't take in to account steering angle. Also, the A8 seems to have less usable space in the center console. The cup holders are small, the arm rest cubby is more shallow than an A6 and the cubby in front of the shift on the A6 isn't there. For being a bigger car, there wasn't many places to stuff.

So, in the end I am going back to the car that holds a sense of occasion. You get in and it's just cool. I optioned it without the driver assistance, with the things that should help with a more engaging drive and called it a day.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

The US order guide explicitly calls out the flat bottom wheel. If you get cold whether, i calls out specifically the flat bottom delete.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Back to an S6