S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Beware: TD1 after PODS recall

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Beware: TD1 after PODS recall

I'm the second owner of my 2016 S6. I have never made any mods to my car during the 2yrs I've owned it but it appears that the previous owner had an APR tune on it which was removed when he traded it in. Today, I had the PODS recall performed on my car and now they say it is flagged TD1 and my factory warranty is void. They also won't look at any of my bluetooth issues (I was hoping for an MMI update which I've seen out in the forums) because they said there was custom coding in 3 of the modules. I had my 35K major service done at another dealer and there were no issues. I'm not sure if they scanned it or not but there wasn't any TD1 at that time. Perhaps Audi is cracking down? Luckily, the car is mechanically running fine at this time. But the dealer says they won't look at any issue in the car whatsoever without a diagnostic fee. Mostly a rant but hopefully someone finds this info regarding the recall useful. Does anyone know how to get at TD1 removed?

Take-aways:
1) Don't buy a used Audi still under factory warranty without having it scanned by an Audi dealer.
2) If your car has ever been tuned, you are likely SOL on the warranty as they have to scan the car for any warranty repairs.
3) VAGCOM coding may cause you problems at the dealer.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

#1.) I would think if you purchased the vehicle as a CPO you would be covered? (I assume you would have purchased it that way)
#2.) This is exactly one of the reasons I'm not having that recall done unless they insist on doing it before I trade it in for my next new vehicle.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeS6
#2.) This is exactly one of the reasons I'm not having that recall done unless they insist on doing it before I trade it in for my next new vehicle.
So you'd rather expose your front passenger to an airbag that fails to deploy instead of saving their life? Might want to rethink your priorities. In the event of a catastrophic accident where a passenger was killed or maimed lawyers would eat you alive in a lawsuit where an airbag fix was available and you knowingly didn't get it done. TD1 is not a good enough reason to delay the PODS fix. Not even close. Get the PODS recall done A.S.A.P!

In 1995 when airbags were just arriving on the scene I was involved in a head on collision. I was driving a brand new airbag equipped Nissan Maxima and the other guy was in a Dodge Ram dually (total mismatch weight wise). He made a left turn into my path. I had no time to even touch the brakes. Hardcore head on impact at approx 55 mph. The only reason I'm alive is because of the airbag. I came out of the accident relatively unscathed with the pattern of the airbag material imprinted on my face and chest and a hairline crack on the tip of my Tibia from my knee hitting the bottom of the dashboard. Thank God there we no lasting affects or worse. I'd hate to think what life would have been like for my kids growing up fatherless.

Last edited by up-n-coming; 02-26-2019 at 10:37 AM.