S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Boom goes the turbo...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boom goes the turbo...

Bone Stock 2013 with about 49k miles. Unfortunately, it is a couple of months out of warranty (of course).

I was driving with my son home from the office last week and the car started to idle rough at a stoplight. We drove the rest of the way home and the car stalled in our driveway and would not restart. I originally suspected a bad tank of gas as I had just filled up that morning (10-15 miles of driving). I had it transported to the local dealer on a flatbed.

Ironically, I had been shopping for a new daily just a couple of days before and almost traded it on a new SQ5. Joke's on me...

They just called and said that the fuel was fine, but the turbos were blown and not turning at all, starving the engine for air.

More background, the recall for cooling / o-rings was done 8/29/17.
Car is dead stock, and is my daily. Never been really pushed, no launch control, no track time (have a Cayman S for that).

The dealer is checking with Audi to see if any "goodwill" possibilities exist.

Baring that, I am looking at options:
1. Have the dealer fix it - $9000 estimate
2. Order stock S6 turbos and have an independent swap them (About $4,000 in parts and ?? in labor)
3. Order RS6 turbos and have an independent swap them (About $4,000 in parts and ?? in labor) - will this require reprogramming right away or can I run with just the turbos for now?
4. Roll the thing into my storage unit / shop and do the swap myself - could be fun, time is an issue.
5. Go nuts and build a full on monster (APR stage 3 etc)

Any other ideas that I am missing?

I love this car but had the suspicion I was sitting on a bomb, turns out I was right.

Thanks in advance,

Derek
Old 03-26-2018, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Derek978
Bone Stock 2013 with about 49k miles. Unfortunately, it is a couple of months out of warranty (of course).

I was driving with my son home from the office last week and the car started to idle rough at a stoplight. We drove the rest of the way home and the car stalled in our driveway and would not restart. I originally suspected a bad tank of gas as I had just filled up that morning (10-15 miles of driving). I had it transported to the local dealer on a flatbed.

Ironically, I had been shopping for a new daily just a couple of days before and almost traded it on a new SQ5. Joke's on me...

They just called and said that the fuel was fine, but the turbos were blown and not turning at all, starving the engine for air.

More background, the recall for cooling / o-rings was done 8/29/17.
Car is dead stock, and is my daily. Never been really pushed, no launch control, no track time (have a Cayman S for that).

The dealer is checking with Audi to see if any "goodwill" possibilities exist.

Baring that, I am looking at options:
1. Have the dealer fix it - $9000 estimate
2. Order stock S6 turbos and have an independent swap them (About $4,000 in parts and ?? in labor)
3. Order RS6 turbos and have an independent swap them (About $4,000 in parts and ?? in labor) - will this require reprogramming right away or can I run with just the turbos for now?
4. Roll the thing into my storage unit / shop and do the swap myself - could be fun, time is an issue.
5. Go nuts and build a full on monster (APR stage 3 etc)

Any other ideas that I am missing?

I love this car but had the suspicion I was sitting on a bomb, turns out I was right.

Thanks in advance,

Derek
Can you let us know if Audi approves the "goodwill" I'm curious. Also at 49,000 you are still inside of the mileage for the warranty, that sticks that you went over the 4 years by just a few months?
Old 03-31-2018, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MikeS6
Can you let us know if Audi approves the "goodwill" I'm curious. Also at 49,000 you are still inside of the mileage for the warranty, that sticks that you went over the 4 years by just a few months?
my car was over warranty by 3 weeks and I was under 45,000 miles. Audi wouldn't do anything for me.

I picked up some brand new RS7 turbos from Germany for 3600 off ebay.
I swapped in the RS7 turbos and ran them on my current APR stage 2 tune for about 6 months now, and it was fine. I just got my stage 3 tune last week because it was on sale.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Russjameson
my car was over warranty by 3 weeks and I was under 45,000 miles. Audi wouldn't do anything for me.

I picked up some brand new RS7 turbos from Germany for 3600 off ebay.
I swapped in the RS7 turbos and ran them on my current APR stage 2 tune for about 6 months now, and it was fine. I just got my stage 3 tune last week because it was on sale.
Wow. Really? Not even a discount? I would expect them to offer and cover 50% of the repair at least as I've heard that happen on warranties expired much longer. Did you take it up with AoA at all?
Old 04-04-2018, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tinbad
Wow. Really? Not even a discount? I would expect them to offer and cover 50% of the repair at least as I've heard that happen on warranties expired much longer. Did you take it up with AoA at all?
Yep, I was told there was nothing they could do.
they could replace everything from 10,000 to 13,000 depending on what was damaged.

I fixed it all including RS7 turbos, new intercooler and hoses, and oil lines for $5,100.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

did you have the tune when the turbos went? or at that time was it stock ?

Originally Posted by Russjameson
Yep, I was told there was nothing they could do.
they could replace everything from 10,000 to 13,000 depending on what was damaged.

I fixed it all including RS7 turbos, new intercooler and hoses, and oil lines for $5,100.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CHIO
did you have the tune when the turbos went? or at that time was it stock ?
I was stage 2 when they went.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have been watching this thread since last week. ( I listed my S6 for sale last week). Can't believe AoA has not gotten heavily involved. My car has only 40K on it and has been bullet proof., (And it's not stock) . Just can't believe the turbo's would just leave you. Something is not quite right! --Lets see if we can get some more input.

Good luck.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm new to the forums, but I just wanted to note that I had a bone stock 2013 S6 with 60k miles on it when both turbos failed. I was riding ~50mph when I came to a stop and noted a rough idle (thought it was one of the engine mounts). On my way to the dealer, I also noted a barely audible grinding noise when accelerating, which I now know were the turbo impellers .

All routine services + oil separator (less than <500miles ago) were done at dealer, no CEL up to or after failure, etc. Complete surprise.

Dealer wants $15K for the swap. They are contacting AoA, but I am not too hopeful from Russjameson's experience in the above comment. This car has been a maintenance nightmare so far.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently had an oil leak (1 quart in 1,300 miles). It was an oil line seal to one of the turbos. It happened right after I had the service recall performed on the coolant lines. Tech said it was unrelated. I hoping I saved my turbos.

Quick Reply: Boom goes the turbo...