S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Bose versus B & O Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bose versus B & O Stereo

I recently switched from a 2014 S6 with the Bose stereo to a 2018 S6 with the B & O stereo. I've also had the Bose stereo in my 2009 Q7TDI, and my S.O has a 2013 A4 Allroad with a B & O.
I'm not an audiophile, nor do I claim to have exceptional hearing. However I do like listening to music, and I can clearly hear some significant differences between the two systems.

I see the following characteristics in the B & O
1) Low frequency notes are clearer (less muddy). Bass is more tactile. It plays 'louder' more cleanly.
2) Imaging is MUCH better, particularly the higher notes. There is a distinct sound stage and instruments can be heard from a specific part of the car, as opposed to just being audible in the Bose
3) Softer notes in the soundtrack can be clearly heard. I'm hearing instruments in songs that I haven't heard in my previous car. This is particularly true of high frequency percussion like cymbals, high-hats, kettle drums etc.

And yes, NPR sounds better as well.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Bose is crap.. no surprise here considering B&O is a pricey upgrade
Old 04-26-2018, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by The Yeoman
Bose is crap.. no surprise here considering B&O is a pricey upgrade
I know nothing about audio equipment sound & quality. I admit I've always been puzzled by the price for the $4900 upgrade, so much so that at the time I tried to do a little bit of research to understand it. I'm not a huge music listening fanatic, I'm happy with status quo, I'd honestly be ignorant to, and unable to appreciate the differences the B & O sound system would deliver. The two things that attract me to it, strangely enough would be the cosmetic ones. Those twitters that pop out of the dash are so cool, I'm sorry. I also really like the look of the contrasting brushed aluminum speakers on the door panels. The actual sound quality and system functionality that the system would deliver would be a side benefit for me. So then I need to rationalize that price tag, and I have a pretty big problem that makes me want the best that products have to offer, so I'll spring for the gold most of the time. In this case however $5,000 is a lot of money for what I perceive as a money grab, more than an actual better sound system.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

When I ordered my S7, I took some music that I normally listen and played it on both. The B&O sounded far superior to me. I ordered it and have no regrets.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Agreed, but also!

Originally Posted by bluestraveller
I recently switched from a 2014 S6 with the Bose stereo to a 2018 S6 with the B & O stereo. I've also had the Bose stereo in my 2009 Q7TDI, and my S.O has a 2013 A4 Allroad with a B & O.
I'm not an audiophile, nor do I claim to have exceptional hearing. However I do like listening to music, and I can clearly hear some significant differences between the two systems.

I see the following characteristics in the B & O
1) Low frequency notes are clearer (less muddy). Bass is more tactile. It plays 'louder' more cleanly.
2) Imaging is MUCH better, particularly the higher notes. There is a distinct sound stage and instruments can be heard from a specific part of the car, as opposed to just being audible in the Bose
3) Softer notes in the soundtrack can be clearly heard. I'm hearing instruments in songs that I haven't heard in my previous car. This is particularly true of high frequency percussion like cymbals, high-hats, kettle drums etc.

And yes, NPR sounds better as well.
Owned a 2011 A4 Prestige which included B&O, but that was the main reason I went to Prestige, the sound in that car was incredible until the day I sold it this year. Truly immersive and spectacular. I had driven in 2011 A4 with Bose and simply wasn't impressed.

Purchased a 2018 S6 this year, and while I was dismayed to find out that my $75,000 car required another 4900 to get my beloved B&O it was never a question for me because of the experience I had had in my 4. The joy of driving and listening to music are synonymous for me, and I knew I would be kicking myself if I didn't make it happen. The extra 5k wasn't nothing to me, as i was stretching to make the S6 happen on my budget, but I am truly happy with the purchase. Sound is great, and for all of the reasons you list.

Here is my chief complaint, which isn't a personal complaint anymore because I have bypassed it and moved on. BUT, the Apple Carplay system is awful. I am an apple guy, All Apple computers at work and home, phone, wireless, etc. Love their products, but it is much inferior to the Audi MMI in every way except one - the voice recognition, which is annoying. The audi quality is somehow diminished with a WIRED apple car play setup, then it is with the WIRELESS bluetooth setup through the MMI, and certainly worse then the WIRED MMI hookup - which is what I stick with. MMI is great, its not flawless, there are some annoying qualities for sure, but the audio is, even to the untrained ear, superior.

I get why AUDI would introduce Carplay, I don't get why they allowed it to be overlayed into a car that is so perfect in so many other ways, when it is clearly not refined enough to be there. I just turn it off on my phone, and am a happy camper - I do wish I could use SIRI though to surf my music a bit more rather than on the MMI display or my phone.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'd have liked to have B&O over Bose, but didn't have a choice, since it was the new S6 on the floor or nothing. But having sampled many B&Os before, I wasn't blown away, plus the Bose on this car is better than all others I've owned and heard before, so not that disappointed at all. Guess the other reason for that is I fine-tuned the sound thru the Spotify's equalizer, so at least the highs are much better now. I have zero doubt the B&O is better than Bose, but really doubt it's $5K better, based on my past experiences. Oh, and definitely not a fan of more chrome in the car, plus more moving parts, so overall quite happy with the Bose. By the way, the best car system I've heard by far is the Meridian on my brother's Land Rover. It makes all others sound like crap by comparison, and I've owned many supposedly high-end systems, like Burmester and Mark Levinson.
Old 04-28-2018, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Meh.... Aftermarket FTW.

Old 04-28-2018, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Every time I use the "dead pedal", I'd have to replace a driver.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ha ha. There's no way I'd get rid of the dead pedal. MUCH rather live with the Bose. He he.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
Ha ha. There's no way I'd get rid of the dead pedal. MUCH rather live with the Bose. He he.
I wish there was no dead pedal, since my left leg usually rests in the region between the dead pedal and the brake peddle. This allows my leg to extend further to full resting position.

Quick Reply: Bose versus B & O Stereo