S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Bought 2 Audi's: Ordered S6

Old 02-10-2018, 07:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought 2 Audi's: Ordered S6

Went to dealership today to look at a new Q7 for wife (current Q7 TDI on lease ending soon), and check out the S6 for me. Didn't have an S6, so I drove an S7 instead.

Were not any S6 currently built, or on the way that I could live with, so I had to order one. He had one in the queue that he could change.

S6 Prestige
Daytona Gray
Carbon Atlas trim
Comfort Seats in Flint Gray (wanted ventilation)
20" Black Optic package
Driver Assist
Audi Rings

Unfortunately, I could not trade the current Q7 in early (TDI) so I will drive her old car until mine comes in. Probably early June. This is going to seem like forever.

After spending much of my evenings obsessing about finding one equipped that was close, I am happy to have that part done. Just don't want to wait that long.

Apparently I am a real oddball. I don't prefer black interior. 90% of available cars have black, 5% have red, and 5% are all other colors. And dealerships don't load up too many options at once. I guess it pushes the car into the wrong price point.

I have had BMW's, and won't buy a Mercedes (but the e63 AMG almost got me), Lexus is too "muted". Besides, most people don't know what an Audi is, let alone an S6. They know they are German, but it's not a Mercedes and not a BMW, so they mostly ignore them.

Counting the days....

Rob
Old 02-11-2018, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Rob, I went through the order process last year. I was considering a S6 and a S8, and ultimately went with the S8, but the experience is the same. I believe that if you are going to purchase new, it is really important to get exactly what you want. If you like it, you will keep it longer, and that makes the numbers work out a bit better. It's worth the wait! Mike
Old 02-11-2018, 09:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Mike.
S8's are nice.

It's harder to order these new - 16 weeks (probably less, although I hear that they are getting held up in port by EPA lately) is a long time to wait. With BMW and some of the others that are assembled in US arrive in 5-7 weeks. The slow boat across the atlantic and all....

I believe they can let me know what boat it leaves on and I can track it. At least it will give me something to do while I wait.

Rob
Old 02-11-2018, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

I encountered the EPA delay. It was actually the CARB delay in certification, and it only applied to states which followed the California certification. I don't think you will be affected by any certification delay if your's is a 2018 model; the 2018's have already been certified. I was caught up in the delay because my S8 was built in the first few weeks of the 2018 model run. Mike
Old 02-11-2018, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Rwdiehl
Went to dealership today to look at a new Q7 for wife (current Q7 TDI on lease ending soon), and check out the S6 for me. Didn't have an S6, so I drove an S7 instead.

Were not any S6 currently built, or on the way that I could live with, so I had to order one. He had one in the queue that he could change.

S6 Prestige
Daytona Gray
Carbon Atlas trim
Comfort Seats in Flint Gray (wanted ventilation)
20" Black Optic package
Driver Assist
Audi Rings

Unfortunately, I could not trade the current Q7 in early (TDI) so I will drive her old car until mine comes in. Probably early June. This is going to seem like forever.

After spending much of my evenings obsessing about finding one equipped that was close, I am happy to have that part done. Just don't want to wait that long.

Apparently I am a real oddball. I don't prefer black interior. 90% of available cars have black, 5% have red, and 5% are all other colors. And dealerships don't load up too many options at once. I guess it pushes the car into the wrong price point.

I have had BMW's, and won't buy a Mercedes (but the e63 AMG almost got me), Lexus is too "muted". Besides, most people don't know what an Audi is, let alone an S6. They know they are German, but it's not a Mercedes and not a BMW, so they mostly ignore them.

Counting the days....

Rob
Congratulations Rob! I love the build you choose... aside from the Comfort seats! haha j/k! But yes, most of the S6's out there are not going to have the gray interior colors. That's the ONLY thing that prevented you from finding one with in say... 500 miles of you. Also yea it seems that most dealers try to keep the MSRP under 80K, so having it loaded up with options bridging it up to over 85K is really rare for a dealer build.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Mike.
Yeah, I wanted the ventilated seats. Had sport seats in my BMW's. They were very supportive but I wanted to try something a little more comfortable on longer drives. Will be my daily driver.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hope you're not disappointed with the 'comfort' seats. I've had ventilated seats in all my cars for a while, but when I tested a new S4/S5 with them, was greatly disappointed. First, and most importantly, the ventilation didn't work at all (similar to a Lexus RC-F I had before). Second, the seats looked like crap by comparison. Third, the leather looked and felt like crap by comparison too. Don't understand why Audi puts crappy leather on the comfort seats, vs the sport ones. And finally, I actually felt the sport ones more comfortable, and with much more support, obviously. The best sport seats I've owned. The Porsche adaptive ones (my second best) were a bit restricting (especially on the cushion, cramping your left leg when resting foot on the dead pedal), but these are not. Just perfect. And I traveled 800 miles straight. Wish they were ventilated, but no way I'd trade them for the ventilated ones, even if they worked. So bought the car on the floor. Saw an A8 with the ventilated seats, and leather wasn't as crappy as the S4/5, but nowhere as good as the Valcona on the sport seats. And with silver stitching, the seats look they belong on a Bentley. Very classy, and very comfortable. Let us know how good they are, so people that are on our position, have an objective point of view. I'd only consider them if I was too big for the sport seats, but fortunately, I'm not (only 160#). Good luck.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by elp_jc
Hope you're not disappointed with the 'comfort' seats. I've had ventilated seats in all my cars for a while, but when I tested a new S4/S5 with them, was greatly disappointed. First, and most importantly, the ventilation didn't work at all (similar to a Lexus RC-F I had before). Second, the seats looked like crap by comparison. Third, the leather looked and felt like crap by comparison too. Don't understand why Audi puts crappy leather on the comfort seats, vs the sport ones. And finally, I actually felt the sport ones more comfortable, and with much more support, obviously. The best sport seats I've owned. The Porsche adaptive ones (my second best) were a bit restricting (especially on the cushion, cramping your left leg when resting foot on the dead pedal), but these are not. Just perfect. And I traveled 800 miles straight. Wish they were ventilated, but no way I'd trade them for the ventilated ones, even if they worked. So bought the car on the floor. Saw an A8 with the ventilated seats, and leather wasn't as crappy as the S4/5, but nowhere as good as the Valcona on the sport seats. And with silver stitching, the seats look they belong on a Bentley. Very classy, and very comfortable. Let us know how good they are, so people that are on our position, have an objective point of view. I'd only consider them if I was too big for the sport seats, but fortunately, I'm not (only 160#). Good luck.
I guess this is subjective. I prefer the comfort seats to the sport seats on the S6, although I prefer the BMW multi-contour seats to either one of those choices. I find the S6 sport seats to be too stiff and the bolsters annoy me. The BMW seats are in a completely different league in terms of comfort in my experience:
Attached Thumbnails Bought 2 Audi's:  Ordered S6-seats.jpg  
Old 02-15-2018, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The leather on my S6 Comfort Seats is just fine (it's Valcona as well, and much classier than the standard Audi seats). Not sure what leather is used in the S4/5. I agree that the Sport Seats look great and are very comfortable (although I've only tried them out briefly, I can usually tell right away if a seat is going to work for me). As for the ventilation function, I have no complaints either. While it doesn't blow air-conditioned air, it works as intended on hot days. Oh, and the massage function is a treat - I use it every single day.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, it is such a rare option, that I have not actually sat in one. Maybe I can check one out when I go to the bay area. Even if it is mediocre cooling, it will still help. We generally have multiple stretches of 3 weeks at a time of 100+ degrees in summer. Usually topping out at a 112-114 number.

I did pull my order from the original dealer (that screwed me) and went to another and placed the order there.

You know it must have been bad when neither the sales person nor the sales manager even ask you why you are cancelling your order and getting your deposit back. Apparently they made enough money off of the Q7 that they didn't feel the need to sell me the S6. Crooks.

I have to say I have been happy with every "car buying process/deal" outside of Fresno, and unhappy with almost all that I have purchased in Fresno.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bought 2 Audi's: Ordered S6