S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Brake Rotor wear on Lease Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 01:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Rotor wear on Lease Question

Hi all

I am 2 years into a 3 year lease on a 2016 S6. 28,000 miles or so.

I anticipate that I will need to replace my brake pads in the spring. Of course, it is ideal to replace the brake rotors when you replace the pads, but that adds a significant amount of cost, which is not desirable this late into the lease.

First question I have is whether Audi inspects brake rotor wear as one of its items on lease return. It doesn't appear so from the documents I have seen.

So if I replace the pads but don't replace the rotors, will that be acceptable for the lease return. This assumes that my rotors are within specs for wear when I replace the pads (i.e. not a safety issue)

Darryl
Old 03-07-2017, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm curious as to the life expectancy of the brake pads, (and I guess the rotors for that matter) I would have thought 3 years for sure, more like 4 years. Although I've heard it can also depend on driving style. I've never had to replace brake pads, and rotors on a vehicle since I was a teenager.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MikeS6
I'm curious as to the life expectancy of the brake pads, (and I guess the rotors for that matter) I would have thought 3 years for sure, more like 4 years. Although I've heard it can also depend on driving style. I've never had to replace brake pads, and rotors on a vehicle since I was a teenager.
It definitely depends on driving style but also on the pad compound that is selected by the OEM (or that you select when replacing). Similar to tires, softer compounds offer better braking but shorter life (and sometimes more dust)

With the S6, I imagine the weight of the car and the desire for good braking performance led them to select an aggressive compound that wears more rapidly. I also believe that car companies make an assumption on the wealth of the customer and their sensitivity to maintenance costs.

I have a lot of experience with aftermarket brakes and pads from past racing but I have never tracked my S6. While I drive in a sporty manner I don't think it's out of the ordinary for this car.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Tracking this car will accelerate brake wear beyond all reason - I know from experience. That said, my front rotors were still within spec and I just changed the front pads (and misc. other required items). I would say that you should be able to do the same and Audi will be completely happy when you turn the car in at lease end.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have 52,000 miles on my S6 and on original pads/ rotors. Depending on your driving style you may be OK. I have never tracked my car but I am APR Tuned. I don't abuse the brakes but I did buy the S6 for the performance it brings which means I use much of the capacity of the brakes often in my daily driving. I do quite a bit of highway driving also.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by redrocker55
I have 52,000 miles on my S6 and on original pads/ rotors. Depending on your driving style you may be OK. I have never tracked my car but I am APR Tuned. I don't abuse the brakes but I did buy the S6 for the performance it brings which means I use much of the capacity of the brakes often in my daily driving. I do quite a bit of highway driving also.

Yea I suspect I won't need to replace my pad and/or rotors before I trade it in for a newer model (3-4 years)
Old 03-08-2017, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently bought my 2014 certified pre-owned with 29,000 miles and the dealer replaced the rotors and breaks. It was a lease turn in and the original owner obviously didn't replace them. I test drove 4 others before buying, all with 30k ish miles and every single one had new pads/rotors or needed them. I assumed it was a given for the S6 that every 30k or so they need replaced.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Front pads/rotors changed at 35,000 miles, rears at 41,000 miles, car traded in 5 days ago at 41,600 miles unexpectedly when right deal on new 17 S6 came along. Someone's gonna get a really nice 14.

If I leased the car, it would have been pads only.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was it the miles or specific features missing on your 14 that prompted buying the 17? I have 32K on my 13 and have been thinking along the same lines. I have most of the features that I want in my current ride. Keeping the V8 also sounds good to me, otherwise I would seriously consider an 18 or 19. I am also considering an extended warranty - I have until late June to decide.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

It was the perfect storm of conditions. Car in stock with the right color with the right options, over $10,000 off MSRP after current promotions, and $43,000 trade in for the 14. Face-lift and new features helped push us to do the deal. The new one is vastly nicer and does not have the same jerkiness with the transmission. The ride feels much tighter too.

You won't be disappointed if you make the switch.

Quick Reply: Brake Rotor wear on Lease Question