S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

buying a used s6... any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 12:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default buying a used s6... any tips?

I'm looking at buying a 2013 S6 with about 60k miles, one owner car, test drive felt good, clean carfax. Since all warranty is expired, any things I should look out for? The dealer I'm going to has a 5 day return policy during which time I plan to take it to a shop for PPI (technically post purchase inspection).

Any recommended tweaks/mods I should look into after purchase? I don't plan to go crazy, but i drove a different car with an AWE exhaust and it sounded amazing, and not at all loud on the highway, so i'm thinking about that. I'm also tempted by the ecu/trans upgrade for 100 hp.

It has the base Bose audio system, which is ok, but i'll probably want to upgrade eventually... any folks done upgrades that are worth sharing?

I also wanted to check the battery to see if it's been replaced since those tend to go after about this long, but it looks like it's buried way in the trunk. is there an easy way to view it, or do i have to rip everything out?
Old 01-03-2018, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at how to get to the battery too (to install a pigtail). My car is new, but should be the same. The problem is afer removing the spare tire, there's a styrofoam part that needs to be removed to finally get to a metal plate that after removal, shows the battery. Problem is there's an air suspension module lodged into that styrofoam part, that has to be lifted out to be removed, but there's a green line going into the aluminum tank. I wouldn't force that green line myself, so maybe by removing the air tank (like somebody suggested) we could be able to lift that part out of the way, but we'd surely need a second pair of hands. Let me know if you buy the car, and if you were able to get that part out without removing anything. Finally, seems like you'd need to 'code' the new battery, so keep that in mind too. Good luck.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I am very interested in this thread. I am considering buying a 2014/2015 S6 next year and would like to know what kind of problems I should be aware of.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So I recently purchased a 2014 S6 CPO (42k miles) from my local Audi dealership. Test drove the sucker and instantly fell in love with the V8T! During my test drive, I noticed several things that I heard, felt, visually seen. The car was initially transferred from another Audi location. I'm guessing they didn't do a thorough 300 point inspection claimed.

1. Rear sunshade did not work. - Dealer is replacing the assembly motor (two weeks ETA part arrival)
2. Rattling noises from the driver side speaker panel - Dealer found coins!!!
3. Slight vibrations when braking - Turns out the rotors needed to be replaced by being out of specs (thickness).
4. Rear window roll-up - Dealer is replacing the motor

The GM, Sales Manager and Service Manager was apologetic and asked if it was OK to keep the car and will go through EVERYTHING! In the meantime, they provided me a 2018 A6 loaner. For the past eight days, the GM kept me posted by daily calls/texts. For my troubles, the GM extended my Audi care and threw in “All Weather” floor mats. My car will be ready this Friday for me to inspect and sign off.

For those buying from a Non-Audi dealership, it is best to do a pre-purchased-inspection (PPI). It may cost you a couple of Benjamins, but you’ll get a peace of mind knowing everything will be inspected. If that’s not an option, then I would create/bring a checklist breaking down each component. Instead of me writing it out, check this link out. Good luck!
Old 01-08-2018, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by GlacierS5
So I recently purchased a 2014 S6 CPO (42k miles) from my local Audi dealership. Test drove the sucker and instantly fell in love with the V8T! During my test drive, I noticed several things that I heard, felt, visually seen. The car was initially transferred from another Audi location. I'm guessing they didn't do a thorough 300 point inspection claimed.

1. Rear sunshade did not work. - Dealer is replacing the assembly motor (two weeks ETA part arrival)
2. Rattling noises from the driver side speaker panel - Dealer found coins!!!
3. Slight vibrations when braking - Turns out the rotors needed to be replaced by being out of specs (thickness).
4. Rear window roll-up - Dealer is replacing the motor

The GM, Sales Manager and Service Manager was apologetic and asked if it was OK to keep the car and will go through EVERYTHING! In the meantime, they provided me a 2018 A6 loaner. For the past eight days, the GM kept me posted by daily calls/texts. For my troubles, the GM extended my Audi care and threw in “All Weather” floor mats. My car will be ready this Friday for me to inspect and sign off.

For those buying from a Non-Audi dealership, it is best to do a pre-purchased-inspection (PPI). It may cost you a couple of Benjamins, but you’ll get a peace of mind knowing everything will be inspected. If that’s not an option, then I would create/bring a checklist breaking down each component. Instead of me writing it out, check this link out. Good luck!
Very helpful thank you! But, and I am sorry if this sounds rude, but that sounds like alot of problems for a car that is only 3 years old. Those issues sound more like problems on cars nearing the 8 year mark, especially the rear sunshade motor breaking. Coins falling into the speaker panel means that the panels got loose. Perhaps the previous owner had coilovers or some excessively low/stiff suspension which caused the panels to loosen up?

Have you encountered any engine/transmission/suspension related problems?
Old 01-08-2018, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I've noticed quite a few S6 owners commenting that they needed to get their motor mounts replaced at around 45k miles.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by waisoserious
Very helpful thank you! But, and I am sorry if this sounds rude, but that sounds like alot of problems for a car that is only 3 years old. Those issues sound more like problems on cars nearing the 8 year mark, especially the rear sunshade motor breaking. Coins falling into the speaker panel means that the panels got loose. Perhaps the previous owner had coilovers or some excessively low/stiff suspension which caused the panels to loosen up?

Have you encountered any engine/transmission/suspension related problems?
Not rude at all, those things are just unpredictable. I'm just glad I'm getting new parts, etc. No engine/tranny or suspension issues. They performed a leak/compression test as well.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Glad to not see (with one exception) that the screen doesn't crap out easily, after getting in and out every time ignition is cycled. Hey, a semi-relatead question: My car is new, but the front windows (haven't tried the rear) are super slow. Is it normal? I know they're double-pane, but seems like the motors are breaking down. He he. Just curious. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GlacierS5
Yeah, I think it's a popular misconception (no offense intended) that a CPO car means it's pristine with everything working close to 100%. CPO standards vary across the industry and dealers cut corners and often just ensure the minimum safety-related items are checked (tire tread, brake pads, etc.) In fact, I've read that cars in "minor" accidents have also been CPOd. Think of the CPO as an extended warranty and not as a guarantee that everything's perfect.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by turbonator
Yeah, I think it's a popular misconception (no offense intended) that a CPO car means it's pristine with everything working close to 100%. CPO standards vary across the industry and dealers cut corners and often just ensure the minimum safety-related items are checked (tire tread, brake pads, etc.) In fact, I've read that cars in "minor" accidents have also been CPOd. Think of the CPO as an extended warranty and not as a guarantee that everything's perfect.
Yup, I totally agree. It's a crap shoot when buying used. The only tools to go by are Carfax, receipts & records, and PPI. I've heard horror stories of folks that bought from used car lots and their so-called extended warranties. At least with a CPO gives you a peace of mind. On that same note, just got off the phone with the Service Manager (very meticulous) letting me know they found a small stress fracture on the passenger side DP. He didn't say where exactly, but I'm glad he caught that.

Quick Reply: buying a used s6... any tips?