S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Ebay downpipes, great decision

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Russjameson
Hey everyone.
The quality of these downpipes is excellent.
The fitment is perfect.
Install took about 2 hours on ramps not even using a lift.
I was stage 1 APR when I installed them.
I did use 2 - O2 bung extenders for each downstream O2 and had zero codes for a week.
I did feel a difference with just the downpipes.
I also felt a difference when I got the stage 2 tune on top of just the DPs.
I am scheduled for a dyno in a week and a half to compare gains. We also found out that you can go 90% throttle from 1500 RPM and kick it to WOT at 3000 RPM to keep it in 4th gear for the entire pull. Wish I would have known that when we did the dyno at Stage 1.

As far as sound, it has gotten exponentially better, no drone while cruising, it's actually tame in drive, and when you put it in sport it sounds like a different animal. Chris from Richmond heard them last Saturday, he can vouch for the sound.

if anyone else has any questions please ask away.
I guaranty these are just as good if not better than some of the way more expensive DPs on the market. You wont regret getting them.

Russell
yes i heard this in person and sounds great...i just purchased the ceramic coated ones so ill test that out and let you guys know.

Originally Posted by m444
Very nice looking downpipes, but no cats, limits the usefulness.

I will probably get the AMS downpipes with Cats.
what are the usefulness of cats ? Only thing that could be better about them is smell of burnt fuel but personally i love that smell. Also russ's catless dps didn't have much of that smell.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by cleex024
...what are the usefulness of cats ? Only thing that could be better about them is smell of burnt fuel but personally i love that smell. Also russ's catless dps didn't have much of that smell.
Other than cleaner air, less hassle with CEL codes & J-pipe extensions, not much.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it was just a 'silly' question of me regarding "stage 1" tune on the catless DP's but thanks for the additional info (boots creep....if that would happen). Obviously a dedicated catless tune would be ideally, first of for errorfree issues but indeed to make use of the extra flow of the catless DP's.

But wondering, since i have a yearly car emissionstest , what would happen if i swap back to my OEM downpipes and remain on the catless stage 2 tune? Offcourse very tempuary and basicly just for periode of car inspection. Would it through errors (guess not as they are programmed out?) and would the OEM cats still 'perform' (afaik they aren't electronicly controle or something like 'diesel particul filters').
*i contacted my tuner if they know more etc.
In the first place it is just for more efficient exhaust flow and help reduce engine bay temps, the 'small' gained power isn't a must for me.
Any info would be appreciated .
Old 07-11-2017, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So I have a set of these that I bought months ago for my s6. I got flamed on audizine for even asking about them but I ended up pulling the trigger on them anyway. They are paired with an awe touring exhaust and it sounds amazing. Just like the OP said, the quality is top notch and fitment is great.

Their communication is great as well. I think they also have a high flow cat option. I remember him sending me a picture of a set.

Originally Posted by dasquade7
Well it was just a 'silly' question of me regarding "stage 1" tune on the catless DP's but thanks for the additional info (boots creep....if that would happen). Obviously a dedicated catless tune would be ideally, first of for errorfree issues but indeed to make use of the extra flow of the catless DP's.

But wondering, since i have a yearly car emissionstest , what would happen if i swap back to my OEM downpipes and remain on the catless stage 2 tune? Offcourse very tempuary and basicly just for periode of car inspection. Would it through errors (guess not as they are programmed out?) and would the OEM cats still 'perform' (afaik they aren't electronicly controle or something like 'diesel particul filters').
*i contacted my tuner if they know more etc.
In the first place it is just for more efficient exhaust flow and help reduce engine bay temps, the 'small' gained power isn't a must for me.
Any info would be appreciated .
what state are you in? In Texas it's only obd2 and they might not even do a visual. As long as your tuner doesn't code anything out to mess with readiness (aprs coding with code the rear sensors out causing a failed parameter on readiness) you will pass obd2. The I'll only state I know that still does the sniffer for obd2 ready cars is California if I'm not mistaken.

For a very short time it shouldn't do much if any damage to the oem dps but again, why would you need to swap back if you don't live in California?
Old 07-11-2017, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for your feedback and thanks for going into the stream and you bought them.
I'm from Belgium. Here they are VERY strick on any kind of modifications what so ever on the car. Anything non OEM they find, will need to be explained for etc. Emission test is with 'sniffer' in exhaust, no obd scanning (so far). That is bit why i can't take the risks. Already strange enough they didn't spot my milltek (illegal non res).
For the car inspection i don't see issues as i would return to stock, it is just for daily driving i look for a durable and reliable spacer fix.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dasquade7
Thanks for your feedback and thanks for going into the stream and you bought them.
I'm from Belgium. Here they are VERY strick on any kind of modifications what so ever on the car. Anything non OEM they find, will need to be explained for etc. Emission test is with 'sniffer' in exhaust, no obd scanning (so far). That is bit why i can't take the risks. Already strange enough they didn't spot my milltek (illegal non res).
For the car inspection i don't see issues as i would return to stock, it is just for daily driving i look for a durable and reliable spacer fix.
Oh I understand. I'm from Romania so I know the European inspection system, and Belgium is even worse. But if you are worried about that, don't you have random on the road inspection stations? Everything is a risk really.

But if you're looking for something that is cost effective for good quality then the Russian dps are good. And running stage 2 for a bit while doing the inspection should be ok. Just keep in mind that the nuts and seal from turbos to dps are supposed to be one time use and a bit costly to purchase every year. Also you would probably be out without a car for a few days since the car has to basically sit and cool almost all day before doing any of the work on it.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mihneagabriel
Oh I understand. I'm from Romania so I know the European inspection system, and Belgium is even worse. But if you are worried about that, don't you have random on the road inspection stations? Everything is a risk really.

But if you're looking for something that is cost effective for good quality then the Russian dps are good. And running stage 2 for a bit while doing the inspection should be ok. Just keep in mind that the nuts and seal from turbos to dps are supposed to be one time use and a bit costly to purchase every year. Also you would probably be out without a car for a few days since the car has to basically sit and cool almost all day before doing any of the work on it.
No real on the road inspection stations. Sometimes 'douane' (kinda of goverment agency) but mostly it is for checking trucks and if you run illegal 'red' fuel. I don't worry too much about that (not doing much road use daily).
Yearly inspection is also bit of a hit or miss thing, but rather be safe. Fact is, not risking catless and like pointed, don't really want to go highflow...
Indeed leaning throughwards the russian ones (apperently there are at least two independant ones making these in Russia) and want thermal coated by default.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Dyno - Stage 2 APR with these downpipes

506 AWHP
549 AWTQ
Old 07-20-2017, 09:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mihneagabriel
I got flamed on audizine for even asking about them but I ended up pulling the trigger on them anyway.
You were certainly not flamed...many were advocating your efforts for exploring other, less expensive options while others voiced the opinion of not putting no-name brand parts on an expensive car.

Glad it's working out for you though
Old 07-20-2017, 09:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Russjameson

506 AWHP
549 AWTQ
Do you have a baseline dyno or a stage 1 dyno graph from the same dyno for comparison? Or track times?

Quick Reply: Ebay downpipes, great decision