S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Engine light

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

I had that happen once with my S7. Stopped for fuel, turned off the car. Fueled and when I started the car the engine light came on. Stopped the engine and waited 2-3 minutes and restarted the car. No engine light. No codes were stored either....
Old 06-15-2017, 08:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's at the dealer now, so we'll see. Car has only 5300 miles on it.

This is exactly why it was hard for me to buy a German car. My AMG was only 10 months old and I got rid of it. One of the reasons was because three different electrical issues already happened. That car only had 8k miles on it before I got rid of it. i hope this S6 isn't going to be the same thing.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

and??
Old 06-22-2017, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Agelai

This is exactly why it was hard for me to buy a German car. My AMG was only 10 months old and I got rid of it. One of the reasons was because three different electrical issues already happened. That car only had 8k miles on it before I got rid of it. i hope this S6 isn't going to be the same thing.

Past Audis
2009 Audi Q5 - 4 years, 50K miles - zero problems
2010 Audi S5 - 5 years, 40K miles - zero problems
2013 Audi Q5 - 4 years, 55K miles - one $30 bulb
Present Audis
2014 Audi S6 - 3 years, 28K miles - zero problems
2017 Audi Q7 - 4 months and no problems

2004 Lexus RX 300 - 2 years, lots of problems
2006 Acura MDX 3 years, a few problems and twice the maintenance costs of 4 years of the Q5 costs (AudiCare + in-between oil changes)

I've been very happen with my Audi German cars. I think you will be happy with the Audi S6.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Control module glitch?!?! Let me tell you, there's no glitch. Something had to be wrong. Maybe in German their ok with "glitches", but in an aircraft, there can't be no glitches. If there's a glitch, you kill 300+ people.

The way they should just shrugged it off, just amazes me. It's $90k car, and it's eh... whatever.

That kills me.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like a generic emission system error and I agree there's no such thing as a glitch. Either the sensor sensed something or the sensor itself is malfunctioning.

It's easier to read if you go to the website, but I quoted the whole thing.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...-jamahl-walker

P2440 OBD-II Trouble Code: Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve Stuck Open Bank 1
by Jamahl Walker on May 26, 2016
Check Engine Light

SAVE
SHARETWEETPIN

P2440 code definition

The P2440 diagnostic trouble code is an indication that the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) has detected that the switching valve of the secondary air injection system is stuck open on Bank 2.

Related Trouble Codes

P2441 OBD-II Trouble Code: Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve Stuck Closed Bank 1

P2442 OBD-II Trouble Code: Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve Stuck Open Bank 2

P2443 OBD-II Trouble Code: Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve Stuck Closed Bank 2

What the P2440 code means

The purpose of the secondary air injection system is to pump fresh air into the exhaust system. This reduces the amount of harmful pollutants that are emitted by the exhaust. The PCM receives information from the secondary air injection system regarding pressure and flow. This information is sent to the PCM through a voltage signal.

If the secondary air injection system sends a voltage signal reading to the PCM that exceeds the manufacturer’s specifications by at least ten (10) percent, the P2440 diagnostic trouble code will be stored and the Check Engine Light will come on.

What causes the P2440 code?

Faulty air injection valve
Faulty one-way check valve
Faulty air injection pump
Faulty pressure sensor
Pressure sensor wiring that is frayed, broken, or shorted
Pressure sensor connector that is damaged or corroded
Pressure sensor connector that has bent pins
Faulty vacuum switching valve
Vacuum switching valve wiring that is frayed, broken, or shorted
Vacuum switching connector that is broken, melted, corroded
Vacuum switching connector that has bent pins
What are the symptoms of the P2440 code?

Check Engine Light is on
Secondary air injection system may be noisy
Engine may stall when idling
Engine may stall when starting the vehicle
Engine may hesitate when accelerating
P2440 diagnostic trouble code stored in the PCM
How does a mechanic diagnose the P2440 code?

Uses an OBD-II scanner to collect freeze frame data and all the trouble codes that have been stored by the PCM.

Inspects vacuum switching valve wiring for frays, breaks, and shorts.

If any vacuum switching valve wiring has frays, breaks, and shorts, repair and replace as required.

Inspect vacuum switching valve connector for damage, corrosion, or bent pins.

If the vacuum switching valve connector is damaged, corroded, or has a bent pin, repair and replace as required.

Clears all diagnostic trouble codes from the PCM and operates the vehicle or completes a test drive to see if the P2440 trouble code comes back

Inspects pressure sensor wiring for frays, breaks, and shorts.

If any pressure sensor wiring has frays, breaks, and shorts, repair and replace as required.

Inspects pressure sensor connector for damage, bent pins, and corrosion.

If the pressure sensor connector is damaged, corroded, or has bent pin, repair and replace it as required.

Clears all diagnostic trouble codes from the PCM and operates the vehicle or completes a test drive to see if the P2440 trouble code comes back.

Inspects the one-way check valve to ensure it is working properly.

If one-way check valves are faulty, repair and replace them required.

Clears all diagnostic trouble codes from the PCM and operates the vehicle or completes a test drive to see if the P2440 trouble code comes back.

Inspects the air injection pump to ensure it is working properly.

Inspects the air injection pump hoses for breaks and loose connections.

If there are breaks and/or loose connection in the air injection pump hoses, repair or replace as required.

Inspects the air injection system fuses.

If there is damaged wiring or pumps that are causing a blown fuse, repair or replace them as required.

Common mistakes when diagnosing the P2440 code

In most cases, the P2440 diagnostic trouble code is caused by faulty one-way check valves. Therefore, it is important to test them to prevent a misdiagnosis and multiple secondary air injection pump replacements. It is also important to add a drain tube onto the pump housing when replacing the secondary air injection pump, as failing to do so could cause multiple secondary air injection pump failures in the future.

How serious is the P2440 code?

When the P2440 diagnostic trouble code is stored by the PCM the vehicle may stall out or hesitate during operation, and driving under these conditions is dangerous. For this reason, the P2440 trouble code is considered serious and should diagnosed and repaired as soon as possible.

What repairs can fix the P2440 code?

Replace faulty air injection valve
Replace faulty one-way check valve
Replace faulty air injection pump
Replace faulty pressure sensor
Repair or replace frayed, broken, or shorted pressure sensor wiring
Repair or replace damaged or corroded pressure sensor connector
Replace faulty switching valve
Repair or replace frayed, broken, or shorted vacuum switching valve wiring
Repair or replace melted, corroded vacuum switching connector
Repair or replace bent pins in the vacuum switching connector
Additional comments for consideration regarding the P2440 code

Faulty one-way check valves are often overlooked when diagnosing the P2440 diagnostic trouble code. Faulty one-way check valves are a common cause of this code so it is important to check them in order to prevent misdiagnosis. If the secondary air injection pump is replaced and faulty one-way check valves are not, this could cause damage to other components of the secondary air injection system.

Need help with a P2440 code?

YourMechanic offers certified mechanics who will come to your home or office to diagnose and repair your vehicle. Get a quote and book an appointment online or speak to a service advisor at 1-844-249-6752.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nice write up. Thank you.

They basically don't want to spend any money or replace anything unless they see something broke.
Well this is strike one in my book. Two more strikes and I will never buy another Audi again.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I literally picked up my 2017 s6 from the dealer yesterday went thru the delivery process with the salesman and on my way home engine light comes on I had put 3 miles on the car called the dealer and they said to bring it in tomorrow and they will check it out. I mean 3 miles and the light comes on I come to go to work this morning still on. Kinda ridulous if you ask me
Old 08-22-2017, 04:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't want to go bashing Audi, but I have 7600 miles on the car and have already had three issues. On a car that was $90k?!?!

I'm praying this was just a fluke, because if not, I will never look at an Audi again, or German for that matter.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't want to go bashing Audi, but I have 7600 miles on the car and have already had three issues. On a car that was $90k?!?!

I'm praying this was just a fluke, because if not, I will never look at an Audi again, or German for that matter.
Same here 3 big repairs in 45K miles. I am leaning towards getting the extended warranty.

Quick Reply: Engine light