S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Google Earth Ends 12/2020

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Google Earth Ends 12/2020

I was looking through some of the posts on Audizine, and I saw a thread that effective December 2020, all Google Earth overlays will stop working in all Audi's. Or something like this?
Old 03-18-2018, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The current wording at audiusa.com is

Google Earth features will not be available after December 2020 for Model Year 2018 & prior vehicles. Google Earth is a trademark of Google Inc. Connect services are subject to technologies remaining commercially available, such services are not guaranteed, and may not be available after 2021 for equipped MY17-20 vehicles.
As to what they plan to do about MY18 and earlier, there's lots of speculation with no confirmation. There's another thread on this forum about it.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If they take this away, that’s another strike of why I won’t buy another Audi.

First is doing away with the v8.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a chance that Google is the reason for the overlay being possibly removed and not Audi.
The following users liked this post:
Anc (11-13-2020)
Old 04-12-2018, 04:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

But Audi didn’t think to check with them before just installing Google software in their cars?
Old 04-12-2018, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Agelai
But Audi didn’t think to check with them before just installing Google software in their cars?
The problem, as I understand it from folks who would know, is that Audi would need to transition to a new tile-based API to continue to support GE, and they were still considering whether to do it for MY18 and earlier. The statement on the Audi website gives them an out, but customer service continues to string us along with 'We're still considering it. Stay tuned!'. I'm anxious to see what happens with MY19.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rccoleman
The problem, as I understand it from folks who would know, is that Audi would need to transition to a new tile-based API to continue to support GE, and they were still considering whether to do it for MY18 and earlier. The statement on the Audi website gives them an out, but customer service continues to string us along with 'We're still considering it. Stay tuned!'. I'm anxious to see what happens with MY19.
This is correct. As someone that works in the industry and has had to maintain backwards compatible stuff, the system getting end of lifed (EOLed) at some point was a certainty the moment I saw it. Otherwise either google would have to maintain their old API forever or Audi would have to update MMI constantly to keep up; at some point the costs for doing so don't make sense anymore given how ("few") people are using it.

Realistically the Google earth overlay in MMI is already severely out of date (visually) compared to what you can get on your phone or on earth.google.com on your desktop. I think it will be a bigger loss on the new virtual cockpit cars when that eventually happens since it is so much more front and center there.

My 2 cents.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Oh no, us Canadians will lose what we never had available to us LOL
Old 04-19-2018, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have MMI (pre-facelift) car, definitely do video in motion and get a smartphone to HDMI->analog video converter and you can use the latest tech on your car. The downsides are that you can't listen to car-based audio while viewing the display or use built-in controls.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Darren Coogan
Oh no, us Canadians will lose what we never had available to us LOL
I'm from Canada. Technically you are right but see the 3G+ Tether link in my sig. I have had Google earth for years now.

Quick Reply: Google Earth Ends 12/2020