S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

HomeLink with Sommer garage door opener

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default HomeLink with Sommer garage door opener

For future searches, let me start out with the proper instructions to program the C7A6/S6 with the Sommer direct drive garage door opener:
  1. Clear the programming settings by selecting in the MMI screen: Car - Car systems - Vehicle Settings - Garage Door Opener - Clear Programming Settings - Yes.
  2. Wait until the HomeLink LED turns off.
  3. Press and hold button 2 for approximately 20 seconds until the HomeLink LED lights solid/contant. Ignore the MMI message about programming button 2.
  4. On the garage door opener, press the LEARN button (an indicator light will come on).
  5. In the vehicle, press the desired HomeLink button you want to program within 10 seconds (read below for caveat). The programming LED on the opener should flash. If it does not flash, repeat the steps again until the programming works.

Here's the story:

I bought a new garage door opener about 6 weeks ago to replace one that was damaged during a lightning surge. I opted for a Sommer Synoris 550 (aka Direct Drive) because of the reviews.

The instructions on the U.S. HomeLink site do not work for the C7S6 but the same instructions worked for my B8S4 and my Nissan Titan. You can read the original thread here: Original Thread

I talked to HomeLink tech support who told me it was an issue with the car and that I should contact Audi. So I contact Audi via chat on the AoA website and the person tells me it's a HomeLink issue and that I should contact them. Obviously this route was not going to work.

Props to my local Audi dealer, Jim Ellis Audi Atlanta, for helping out and ultimately coming through. They sent a tech out to my house to "help me" program the garage door opener. He brought his own instructions, which were the same as mine, and could not get the HomeLink programmed. He came back later with a brand new S6 off the lot to see if it was a problem with my S6 or all S6's. The new S6 had the same issue.

A couple of weeks go by and yesterday they tell me they might have a solution. They had been "working with Germany" and it turns out the HomeLink instructions for the opener are different per the EU website (I haven't been able to find the same site in my search). The same tech visits yesterday after work with a print-out in hand and on the first try it works...with a caveat. We were only able to get button 2 programmed and not button 1 which I previously used and preferred.

The instructions suggest that button 2 is used to put the HomeLink into a special programming mode and subsequently press the button that you want the opener to learn. He tried various combinations for about 20 minutes and finally gave up when I suggested that I'm ok with using button 2.

When I get some time, and when it's not so hot out, I'll try again on my own to see if I can get the other buttons to work. The dealership is interested in my feedback if I get the other buttons working so they'll know what to do if this comes up again.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '15 A6 and a '15 Q7, the Sommer Direct Drive 550 homelink didn't work on either car. Very frustrating. Did you get it to work yourself, or only the one time with the aid of the technician?
Old 12-04-2014, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 132 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Similar problem

I don't have a sommer, but I had a hard time programming the homelink in my A6. Cleared the buttons in the car, as you described. Pressed button #2 in car, then went in front of car & held the garage door remote opener until the DRL(or turn signals) flashed 3 times. Then pressed "learn" on the opener motor assembly & quickly went to the car to press button #2. Worked on my second attempt. Had previously tried same with button #1, & couldn't get it to work. Perhaps ?? only the #2 button works on openers with rolling codes. I may try button #1 on some homelink activated lighting, later.

Caution: don't have anything in path of door - it may activate doing this procedure.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 288enzo
I have a '15 A6 and a '15 Q7, the Sommer Direct Drive 550 homelink didn't work on either car. Very frustrating. Did you get it to work yourself, or only the one time with the aid of the technician?
I got a 2014 Q5 after I posted this originally. Since I didn't remember off the top of my head how to program the S6, I went to the Homelink site and noticed that for the Q5 (and newer A6), the instructions match what the tech told me. It worked first time on the Q5 with the procedure on the website:

HomeLink
Old 01-15-2015, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Have a 2014 A5 and have tried the above procedure and many others with no luck. Any additional suggustions?
Old 05-27-2016, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=RobC;24471843]
  1. Clear the programming settings by selecting in the MMI screen: Car - Car systems - Vehicle Settings - Garage Door Opener - Clear Programming Settings - Yes.
  3. Press and hold button 2 for approximately 20 seconds until the HomeLink LED lights solid/contant. Ignore the MMI message about programming button 2.
  4. On the garage door opener, press the LEARN button (an indicator light will come on).
  5. In the vehicle, press the desired HomeLink button you want to program within 10 seconds (read below for caveat). The programming LED on the opener should flash. If it does not flash, repeat the steps again until the programming works.

Thanks. This worked on my A8 2013. I also noticed on the sommer direct drive website they now list the same instructions. Homelink.com lists different instructions which do not work. I sent them an email. Maybe they will update their website
Old 06-28-2018, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you RobC. We just changed from an '07 A8 to a '13 A8, and neither Audi' nor Sommer's procedures would program the '13's Home Link button for the one door with a Sommer opener. Your procedure worked perfectly. THANK YOU so much for saving me (and probably many others) a lot of frustration.

Gary Knox
Old 08-10-2020, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 5

Originally Posted by RobC
For future searches, let me start out with the proper instructions to program the C7A6/S6 with the Sommer direct drive garage door opener:

Here's the story:

I bought a new garage door opener about 6 weeks ago to replace one that was damaged during a lightning surge. I opted for a Sommer Synoris 550 (aka Direct Drive) because of the reviews.

The instructions on the U.S. HomeLink site do not work for the C7S6 but the same instructions worked for my B8S4 and my Nissan Titan. You can read the original thread here: Original Thread

I talked to HomeLink tech support who told me it was an issue with the car and that I should contact Audi. So I contact Audi via chat on the AoA website and the person tells me it's a HomeLink issue and that I should contact them. Obviously this route was not going to work.

Props to my local Audi dealer, Jim Ellis Audi Atlanta, for helping out and ultimately coming through. They sent a tech out to my house to "help me" program the garage door opener. He brought his own instructions, which were the same as mine, and could not get the HomeLink programmed. He came back later with a brand new S6 off the lot to see if it was a problem with my S6 or all S6's. The new S6 had the same issue.

A couple of weeks go by and yesterday they tell me they might have a solution. They had been "working with Germany" and it turns out the HomeLink instructions for the opener are different per the EU website (I haven't been able to find the same site in my search). The same tech visits yesterday after work with a print-out in hand and on the first try it works...with a caveat. We were only able to get button 2 programmed and not button 1 which I previously used and preferred.

The instructions suggest that button 2 is used to put the HomeLink into a special programming mode and subsequently press the button that you want the opener to learn. He tried various combinations for about 20 minutes and finally gave up when I suggested that I'm ok with using button 2.

When I get some time, and when it's not so hot out, I'll try again on my own to see if I can get the other buttons to work. The dealership is interested in my feedback if I get the other buttons working so they'll know what to do if this comes up again.
Like most of you, i've spent too many hours banging my head about this garage door opener. I believe the steps above worked for my 2014 Q5 with AMI (thought though that I may have had to go back and push the programming button one more time but could be wrong), but I wanted to share my new frustration with solution... I upgraded my wife to a 2017 Porsche Cayenne and again went down the rabbit hole. I found the following step worked for her car and were completely different than what the dealership was trying to tell me and what the manuals said to do. Hope this helps: HomeLink Programming
1. For first time programming HomeLink to a Sommer garage door opener, press and hold all 3 HomeLink buttons for approximately 30 seconds, releasing only when the HomeLink indicator light turns off or the display reads Channels Defaulted.
  • For vehicles with LED lights, the light will start solid, then flash. Continue holding until the LED light goes completely off.
  • For vehicles with a display, the display will first read "Channels Clearing", then "Channels Cleared", but continue to hold until the display reads "Channels Defaulted"
2. To ensure HomeLink is in the default training mode, press and hold each of the buttons individually. When pressed, the individual HomeLink button should react as follows:
  • For vehicles with an LED light the indicator light will blink rapidly.
  • For vehicles with displays the display will read "Channel (1, 2 or 3) Transmitting"

A second person will be necessary for the next steps.
3. At the garage door opener receiver (motor head unit) in the garage, locate the learn button. This is a red button on the bottom of the motor head unit.

NOTE: If there is difficulty locating the training button, please reference the garage door opener manual, visit our website www.homelink.com or contact us at 1-800-355-3515.

4. Press and release the learn button. This activates the "radio" light. Once the button is pressed, there are approximately 10 seconds in which to initiate the next step.

5. In the vehicle, firmly press and hold the desired HomeLink button to be programmed for ONLY two seconds and release. Repeat the "press/hold/release" a second time to activate the door. (You may need to repeat the sequence up to 3 times to complete the training process.)

retrieved from: https://support.partner.liftmaster.c...-1480440746358