S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

How have you fixed brake squeal on your S6?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How have you fixed brake squeal on your S6?

I have been driving a 2016 S6 since new (got it June 2015) and it started brake squeal at 3000 miles. Won't describe in detail here since it's universal with these cars, but I can't take it anymore. Too annoying and embarrassing to roll to a slow stop and hear that from an $80k+ car. Dealer and his service shop have been no help. They know it's an issue and offer no solution. Unbelievable.

So I'm interested in the wisdom of the crowd here: What have you guys done, either with dealer service shops or with aftermarket parts, to fix this? If I can't fix it, I'm going to have to sell it. I'm in Northern VA.

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2017, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FarmDog73
I have been driving a 2016 S6 since new (got it June 2015) and it started brake squeal at 3000 miles. Won't describe in detail here since it's universal with these cars, but I can't take it anymore. Too annoying and embarrassing to roll to a slow stop and hear that from an $80k+ car. Dealer and his service shop have been no help. They know it's an issue and offer no solution. Unbelievable.

So I'm interested in the wisdom of the crowd here: What have you guys done, either with dealer service shops or with aftermarket parts, to fix this? If I can't fix it, I'm going to have to sell it. I'm in Northern VA.

Thanks!
i have an s8 plus and mine started squealing also around 2k miles...i swapped out pads to ceramics and squeal went away for awhile but its now back... but I'm pretty sure it's because i didnt change out rotors with the pads.

i believe there are many one here though that went with ebc red stuff and brake dust is way down with no noise however i would advise to change rotors as well. I'm also in the northern va area...i changed pads myself and is not all that difficult... it's just a pain in the *** taking off the shims to put onto new pads or you can just buy them for 200 dollars lol.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

Odd...

I have been driving my 2016 S6 since new (got it May 2016) and have never experienced brake squeal on this car, now at 6000 miles. The brake dust is excessive though, so I plan on changing the brake pads to Disc Italia Kevlar.

The Audi OEM damping discs, that go under the pad, replacements are expensive.

Disc Italia Titanium Kevlar( Titanium Kevlar)

"The Disc Italia Titanium Kevlar brake pads are designed for today's most demanding drivers. They provide very high friction co-efficient levels & increased braking performance. Disc Italia pads [although not required] are optimized to perform with drilled or slotted rotors. The unique Titanium coated fibers strengthen the pad, giving it increased pad life ensuring you receive a long lasting smooth operating brake pad, and provide the pad with greater resistance to brake fade. The Titanium Kevlar formulation emits extremely low levels of brake dust ensuring that your brake pads run virtually dust free. All this is achieved without the pad being overly aggressive on your rotors. Each pad sets include integrated constrained layered anti-squeal shims, and the backing plates come with a corrosion-resistant black powder-coated finish. Experience the future of brake friction materials, experience Disc Italia."
Old 07-10-2017, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

I have also not had any break noise issues with my 2016 S7 with 18000 miles. Not an S6 but the same basic brake system.....
Old 07-10-2017, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes I have a 2016 S6 with about 12K miles and the brake squeal has been getting worse as of late.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by m444
The Audi OEM damping discs, that go under the pad, replacements are expensive.

Disc Italia Titanium Kevlar( Titanium Kevlar)

"The Disc Italia Titanium Kevlar brake pads are designed for today's most demanding drivers. ... Each pad sets include integrated constrained layered anti-squeal shims, ...
I would be very surprised - nay, shocked - if the "integrated constrained layered anti-squeal shims" are designed to be replacements for the OEM version.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No brake noise on my S6 after 25k miles, but I have a Benz that had noisy brakes. I applied CRC Brake Quiet to the back of each pad (where it contacts the caliper) and that stopped the noise.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by m444
Odd...

I have been driving my 2016 S6 since new (got it May 2016) and have never experienced brake squeal on this car, now at 6000 miles. The brake dust is excessive though, so I plan on changing the brake pads to Disc Italia Kevlar.

You might not hear the brake squeal because of the way you actually "brake" In other words you're probably an aggressive breaker; defined as coming to a complete stop from higher speeds quicker. I notice the squeal when I gradually ride the brake and slow to a stop in a rather drawn-out stopping kind of way.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeS6
You might not hear the brake squeal because of the way you actually "brake" In other words you're probably an aggressive breaker; defined as coming to a complete stop from higher speeds quicker. I notice the squeal when I gradually ride the brake and slow to a stop in a rather drawn-out stopping kind of way.

Yes, that is probably the reason, I don't ride the brakes.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the perspectives.

Yes, to clarify, the noise isn't present when I'm braking harder, from say 50mph+. It's worst in slow around-town driving (as in DC, lots of low speed stop-and-go). It goes away for a day or two when raining or when I wash the car (removing the brake dust), but comes back as dust accumulates again. These are still the original factory brakes and pads. Now have about 15k miles on them.

Will check out some of the products recommended thus far and especially interested in additional owners' experience and tips that have cured this. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: How have you fixed brake squeal on your S6?