S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

How have you fixed brake squeal on your S6?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FarmDog73,

I have to agree with you on a couple points. I notice more during the week at the dust builds up. I normally wash my car on the weekends.

Also I notice it more when driving slow on residential streets more maybe when driving in a parking lot and are slowly breaking.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have had the same issue since probably 5k miles on my 16. I also only notice it at the end of the week once the dust builds up. It happens when I come to a slow stop, so probably the way you brake makes it more noticeable.

The only fix for me is weekly washes of the brakes with the power washer
Old 07-12-2017, 05:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've been running Disk Italia ceramic pads for about 6 months now and have had no squealing, and only wash the car every few weeks with no special cleaning of the rotors. Wheels stay pretty clean and dust free even without frequent washing (dramatically cleaner than when using stock pads).

When I replaced the pads I did not replace rotors and I re-used the old Audi shims. I did use Permatex Brake Quiet (spray) to stick the re-used shims to the new pads. My driving style is occasionally spirited but I'm still stuck with lots of slow & stop-n-go driving (a way of life here in Northern Virginia).
Old 07-20-2017, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Wheel wax is supposed to really help with the dust.

Best Wheel Wax? | Audi-Sport.net
Old 07-20-2017, 01:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have this issue as well - 2015 S6 with roughly 19k miles on it. Only at low speeds - call it 10 mph and braking on local driving and the squeal makes me wonder if my pads are done.

Taking it into service for the 3 year (25k) in the next week so will see what the dealer says. Guessing they will try to ride me on a full rotor/pad replacement...
Old 07-20-2017, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Brake squeal has mostly to do with how you use them. Bedding the brakes is important, especially for more performance oriented brakes. Brakes on European cars are designed to handle slowing down from high speeds on the Autobahn. The average American driver racks up their miles in stop and go traffic and never properly exercises the brakes. Bedding the brakes will get some heat into them and lay down a layer of pad material on the rotor. This layer will improve stopping power and also pretty much eliminate brake squeal. Unfortunately, daily driving that barely heats up the brakes will cause that layer to be gradually scraped off the rotors until the pads are touching bare metal again. So this layer needs to be maintained to achieve the best brake performance and lowest noise.

I do regular canyon carving and aggressive driving and I've never had brake squeal on any of my performance cars. If you can't use the brakes the way they are designed to be used or don't have the roads to properly bed them in, then you should probably look into downgrading them to something more suited to your driving style. Start with a less performance oriented pad.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Small update - went to dealership for my 3 year/25k mile check up without any mention of low speed brake squealing to see if they brought up any issues with rotors/pads. No issues whatsoever, with brake pads having plenty of life and rotors in good shape. Specifically asked afterwards and given the typical response of squeal at low speeds "happens".

This was my first service (audi care) as I am the second owner of the car (17k miles) so will continue to keep an eye on it and likely go aftermarket once the rotors/pads need to be replaced. Will do a proper bedding then.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:41 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

I know a mechanic who swears by this stuff, but you have to remove the pads apply, allow to dry then re-assemble. Unfortunately not a lot of info on the website.

Quiet Brakes® | MOC
Old 08-20-2017, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Farmdog, I used to get this on my 944T occasionally and more recently on my CLS550. Just try some aggressive breaking, like at the end of the freeway off ramp once or twice a week. Should take care of it.

MHS6
46 mi
Old 01-01-2018, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

My new S6 is squealing a little when pulling into my garage, but haven't heard it other than that. This car had 35 miles when I bought it, so likely it underwent WOT acceleration and hard braking, as the stupid salesmen love to do that on brand new cars, even before reaching full operating temperature. Brakes are not supposed to be used like that before a 200-mile break-in, so could be that for all I know. Never had any squealing on my previous high-performance cars, including my last Porsche. Hope that little squealing doesn't worsen over time. Otherwise I'd replace the pads with ceramic ones. So far only the 'disk italia' have been mentioned. Need to find a service manual to see how easy or difficult is with our calipers.

Quick Reply: How have you fixed brake squeal on your S6?