S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

How-to: Installing brake pads on an S6/7

Old 04-19-2018, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the help here!

I want to make sure I have all the parts available (going to do Disc Italia rotors, which indeed are Brembo/Audi cross-drilled and slotted rotors, with the Disc Italia pads), and I want to be sure I get all the parts I need. I've seen shims mentioned here. Do I need those, and if I do, what should I buy? Are there new bolts or other materials I should buy like the N91147601 caliper bolts? I imagine I should get the 4G0-615-121-E wear indicator (just one, right?).

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2018, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by schalliol
Thanks for the help here!

I want to make sure I have all the parts available (going to do Disc Italia rotors, which indeed are Brembo/Audi cross-drilled and slotted rotors, with the Disc Italia pads), and I want to be sure I get all the parts I need. I've seen shims mentioned here. Do I need those, and if I do, what should I buy? Are there new bolts or other materials I should buy like the N91147601 caliper bolts? I imagine I should get the 4G0-615-121-E wear indicator (just one, right?).

Thanks!
The caliper bracket bolts should be replaced (one use), but some people reuse them.
The wear indicator can be reused, if the light was never triggered (no wear on the sensor).
The shims (Brake Pad Damping Plate kit) are meant to be replaced, but some people have been able to reuse them.
The following users liked this post:
09S5 (03-22-2022)
Old 04-19-2018, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

This is really helpful. Thanks! My pad light went off, so I’ll need that too.

That dampening kit is EXPENSIVE!
Old 04-24-2018, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If I do new Disc Italia Rotors/Pads, will I need a pair of 4H0615269C springs on the front? The shims are already expensive enough, but are these really $70 each and do I need two?
Old 04-24-2018, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If I do new Disc Italia Rotors/Pads, will I need a pair of 4H0615269C springs on the front? The shims are already expensive enough, but are these really $70 each and do I need two?
No, don't need new springs, use the old caliper springs.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Whew! Thanks!

I bought the Disc Italia Rotors and Ceramic pads from Nopi, and the dampening springs for "only" $161.90 from sales@fcpeuro.com, and the brake pad sensors and caliper bolts from ECS (for some reason the front sensor is $3.52 right now).

My S6 has about 55K, and I don't know if the rotors really need to be done, but based upon the mileage everyone is indicating, it seems like I should just go ahead and do them.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whew! Thanks!

I bought the Disc Italia Rotors and Ceramic pads from Nopi, and the dampening springs for "only" $161.90 from sales@fcpeuro.com, and the brake pad sensors and caliper bolts from ECS (for some reason the front sensor is $3.52 right now).

My S6 has about 55K, and I don't know if the rotors really need to be done, but based upon the mileage everyone is indicating, it seems like I should just go ahead and do them.
Hi,let us all know how you find these over stock when you have them fitted.Thanks
Old 05-10-2018, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Replacing the rotors is pretty easy (but not easy on the wallet). Look for a screw in the same radius as the wheel bolt holes. Remove the screw and, as long as the caliper has already been removed, the rotor should just about fall off. If it doesn't, it's only held on with corrosion. In that case, give it a smack with a BFH. Clean all corrosion off the mounting surface with a wire brush and/or brake cleaner and, as they say, installation is the reverse of removal.
Do you guys recommend 'turning' the rotor at a parts store if you are reusing the rotor? Provided it still meets minimum specs.
I would think with a worn rotor it will eventually wear the pad unevenly and starts to vibrate in high speed braking.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless you noticed vibrations before changing your pads, I wouldn't bother, as all you would do is unnecessarily remove material from the rotor. If you do notice vibration, you likely just have some pad material build-up (high spots) and a light turning might be indicated. Trust me, you're very unlikely to warp these rotors - they're essentially supercar spec (pinned to be fully floating and meaty as hell).
Old 04-13-2019, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It looks like Girodisc now has Front Floating Rotors for Audi C7 S6/S7/S8, 22.0 lbs each.

Link, Achtuning: link does not work...

https://www.achtuning.com/girodisc-a1-187-front-brake-rotor-pair-audi-c7-s6-s7-and-d4-s8/

"Girodiscs A1-187 lightweight 2-piece rotor system is a direct replacement for OEM brake discs. Girodisc rotors bolt directly to the car and work with OE calipers. Upgrading your brakes with lightweight high performance replacements maintains the factory brake bias as well as the ABS efficiency. Girodisc A1-187 rotors weigh 22.0 lbs ea vs. 27.4 lbs ea for the stock front discs. This reduction in rotational and unsprung weight allows for quicker acceleration and suspension response. The rotor utilizes a curved vane design, developed in racing to act as a centrifugal pump to force cooling air through the disc.

The rotor and hat have a floating mount system, which utilizes 10 drive pins. These pins take the load from braking actions while maintaining the axial and radial float between the hat and disc. The pins are secured by grade 12 cap screws with hardened washers. In order to keep the rotors from making noise when cold, the pins are mounted with anti-noise spring washers on the rotor side which allow the rotor to grow with heat expansion but eliminate the rattle and noise associated with floating rotors. This float also allows the rotor to self center between the pads.

Once the rotors are worn to the minimum thickness specification of 32mm, the rotor ring can be replaced separately from the hat at a reduced cost."

Last edited by m444; 04-13-2019 at 04:08 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How-to: Installing brake pads on an S6/7