S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

How-to: Installing brake pads on an S6/7

Old 09-23-2015, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by goliath1
and how did you support the car?
Floorjack. Since I wasn't under the car at all, I was okay with not using a jackstand.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you very much for posting this. Great info!
Old 09-26-2015, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rather than risk scratching the caliper paint, I would recommend using a brake pad spreader after the caliper is off rather than channelock pliers. Also, the bracket bolts are supposed to be single use stretch bolts and it is better to remove the mutipoint bolts which are multi-use. One would have to ask an Audi tech at the dealership what type of socket is required to remove the 10 point bolt in order to purchase the socket in advance. Yes, it is easier to just pull the bracket bolts, but not preferable.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to post this DIY.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
Rather than risk scratching the caliper paint, I would recommend using a brake pad spreader after the caliper is off rather than channelock pliers. Also, the bracket bolts are supposed to be single use stretch bolts and it is better to remove the mutipoint bolts which are multi-use. One would have to ask an Audi tech at the dealership what type of socket is required to remove the 10 point bolt in order to purchase the socket in advance. Yes, it is easier to just pull the bracket bolts, but not preferable.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to post this DIY.
Yes, caliper spreaders would be ideal, if you have them. However, if you use "protection" (thick pieces of rubber, in my case) and are careful, the paint will be fine.

I thought about the bolt issue. The 10-point bolts are a really strange design and likely require a special tool, available only from the dealer at significant expense. Also, on my Porsche GT4 (same brakes as a GT3), those bolts are single-use items and I just assumed they would be on the Audi too (similar 6-piston Brembo caliper for each). The caliper bracket bolts are really beefy and I'm not too worried if they've stretched a bit. Probably the next time around, I'll replace them, for peace of mind. That'll be the expensive job, as likely the rotors will be toast by then.

Appreciate your input.
The following users liked this post:
09S5 (03-22-2022)
Old 11-04-2015, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Floorjack. Since I wasn't under the car at all, I was okay with not using a jackstand.
i have 5mm left on my pads so this write up is very timely. I will be replacing both the rotors and the pads. Did you use a puck with your floor jack to prevent damage to the undercarriage?

Also, removal of the entire caliper seems simpler to me. even at the risk of having to replace the single use bolts.

One method i found to retreat the brake cups back into the caliper is to use a C clamp. put a thin piece of wood on the outside and compress. either method can work.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Did you use a puck with your floor jack to prevent damage to the undercarriage?
Yes, a hockey puck works just fine. Have fun!
Old 12-16-2015, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

ordered my rotors and pads today....I'll be ready to do this activity post Christmas ...

On another note, I searched for the special socket that allows just the caliper cover to be removed for pad access only. I found one but it was $40 and I wasn't sure of the size. Point is moot however since I am changing out everything. Going to try and reuse the sticky pads by using some anti-squeal on their backsides. I'll post my results when done.
The following users liked this post:
09S5 (03-22-2022)
Old 12-16-2015, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

ordered my rotors and pads today....I'll be ready to do this activity post Christmas ...

On another note, I searched for the special socket that allows just the caliper cover to be removed for pad access only. I found one but it was $40 and I wasn't sure of the size. Point is moot however since I am changing out everything. Going to try and reuse the sticky pads by using some anti-squeal on their backsides. I'll post my results when done.
Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

One has to wonder why they used that bolt with the special head. Could it be to deter people from servicing their brakes at a non-Audi dealer location?
Old 12-17-2015, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

What Pads did you order Golith1? I just ordered front and rear pads. wearever gold pads. I wonder if there is a write up for the rears? I have the software to open up the rear calipers just hope I don't run into any problems.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

posi quiet pads, adams rotors. both from Adams. I know some have switched to ceramic but I am not sold on the stopping power. I can deal with the dust.

Gonna use loc-tite brake quiet on back of pad to reduce chance of squeal... grease all the friction points...etc.

on another related topic, I understand the importance of bedding in brakes...at least I have read everything I can on the subject. I wonder...do the auto manufacturers bed their brakes on new cars? Me no think so....so what gives?

Anyone have an idea?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How-to: Installing brake pads on an S6/7