S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

How-to: Installing brake pads on an S6/7

Old 12-17-2015, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by goliath1
I wonder...do the auto manufacturers bed their brakes on new cars? Me no think so....so what gives?

Anyone have an idea?
No, it wouldn't be practical. There are two ways to bed in brakes:
  1. Take it easy for a few hundred miles
  2. Bed them in with heat, followed by letting them cool completely
If you check your owner's manual, it will call for #1. If you plan on tracking your car, you should do #2 (lots of instructions available, usually pad-specific).
Old 12-18-2015, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand the impracticality of bedding brakes on millions of new vehicles every year....so why is it so important to do? seems contradictory. millions of new cars never have braking issues....

one of life's mysteries I guess...
Old 12-18-2015, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I understand the impracticality of bedding brakes on millions of new vehicles every year....so why is it so important to do? seems contradictory. millions of new cars never have braking issues....

one of life's mysteries I guess...
It's not a mystery. For a brake pad to function properly, a thin layer of the pad material has to transfer smoothly onto the rotor surface. When this deposition layer is haphazard, you get sub-optimal braking and, worse yet, a chance of vibration. In fact, what most drivers consider warped rotors is actually pad material distributed unevenly (i.e. high spots).

Most drivers won't bed in new pads properly (multiple hard stops until fade is setting in, followed by a proper cool-down period) but then most drivers don't use all their brake's capability either. Those that do (drive in hilly areas, for instance) are the ones that will experience issues.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Floorjack. Since I wasn't under the car at all, I was okay with not using a jackstand.
is that one of those fancy compressed air jacks? I see an air hose in the pictures.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Deer hunter thanks again for the write up. I just did my fronts. I ended up reusing the spacers. Just put a little silicone on them. I still need to do the rears. 37,000 miles on the s6 fronts had 5mm of pads left. Side note, I've already put a nice Ohio doe in the back of my s6 during ohio's bow season. Lol
Old 12-19-2015, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

is that one of those fancy compressed air jacks? I see an air hose in the pictures.
It's a QuickJack, which a friend bought for his car (I used his garage for the install, since another pair of hands is always a good idea for these type of projects). We ended up using a standard floorjack as the QuickJack wouldn't reach both jacking points, IIRC (it's the small size, ideal for a Miata).

Originally Posted by itdoesitallroad
Deer hunter thanks again for the write up. I just did my fronts. I ended up reusing the spacers. Just put a little silicone on them.
No problem. Good tip on the silicon, as I was a little put out about the cost of new spacers. Thanks.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just did my rears also. Very easy. Just need rosstech software and cable to set the parking brake then just two bolts and pop the old pads out then in with the new. Both sides took less then an hour.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

my rotors and pads are shipping this week. other than the "cross shaped" spring on top of the caliper, were there any other hardware pieces that you reused? I see other stainless steel spring like devices when I search for Audi S6 brake hardware. For instance, search for this.

CENTRIC 11733043 Disc Brake Hardware

Cheap insurance to replace all these parts.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Nope, anything I replaced was noted in the write-up. In my mind, the only necessary parts to replace are the pads (and, if worn beyond spec, the rotor). In retrospect, even the sticky pads could be reused (as another poster did). Nothing else should wear.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I see other stainless steel spring like devices when I search for Audi S6 brake hardware. For instance, search for this.

CENTRIC 11733043 Disc Brake Hardware
I recently bought A7 Centric Ceramic pads and the additional hardware from RockAuto. Turns out that Centric includes the bag of hardware with the pads.

The numbers are similar: 117.33044 (front) & 117.33037 (rear)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How-to: Installing brake pads on an S6/7