S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Am I missing a subwoofer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Am I missing a subwoofer?

So I was cleaning out my trunk today and I noticed a big gaping hole on the left side of rear deck that is obviously the cutout for a subwoofer. However there is no subwoofer there, just the hole.

I have the B&O sound system, and while it is not lacking for bass, it doesn't shake the walls either.

I went on line and I found this schematic for the B&O system in the S6:

If you notice, there is a subwoofer on the left side of the rear deck. I DO NOT HAVE THIS.

However, I do have a subwoofer type thing in the spare tire well, similar to what you see in the S7 with the B&O.

Did they move the subwoofer in the S6 from the rear deck to the spare tire well?
Old 02-02-2014, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, I was going to tell you to check your tire well. I think it was late MY13 that they made the switch.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a thread about this a couple of months ago. They definitely moved it, it's in the spare tire well.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From a manufacturing and inventory perspective, obviously it's simpler to deal with one subwoofer for both models rather than a different one for each. But another reason they may have moved the S6 subwoofer into the spare tire well was to alleviate the rattling rear sun shade from the low frequencies.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

I would think the primary reason they moved it was to increase the space lost from the sub's protruding under-hang from the rear shelf in the trunk followed by manf. consistency.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I would think the primary reason they moved it was to increase the space lost from the sub's protruding under-hang from the rear shelf in the trunk followed by manf. consistency.
Have you seen the stock sub? It's no bigger than a pimple on a gnat's ***. :-)

EDIT: I am only referring to my car with the Bose system. Perhaps the B&O sub was bigger...

Last edited by S4thrills; 02-03-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Vijay
So I was cleaning out my trunk today and I noticed a big gaping hole on the left side of rear deck that is obviously the cutout for a subwoofer. However there is no subwoofer there, just the hole.

I have the B&O sound system, and while it is not lacking for bass, it doesn't shake the walls either.

I went on line and I found this schematic for the B&O system in the S6:

If you notice, there is a subwoofer on the left side of the rear deck. I DO NOT HAVE THIS.

However, I do have a subwoofer type thing in the spare tire well, similar to what you see in the S7 with the B&O.

Did they move the subwoofer in the S6 from the rear deck to the spare tire well?
The photo is actually backwards if you look at the right side of the rear deck the sub-woofer is there and covered with metal from the car, and the left side has what ever that little speaker is pictured on the right deck in the illustration you posted. I had the same reaction as you a couple of weeks though and thought I was robbed.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobosmd
The photo is actually backwards if you look at the right side of the rear deck the sub-woofer is there and covered with metal from the car, and the left side has what ever that little speaker is pictured on the right deck in the illustration you posted. I had the same reaction as you a couple of weeks though and thought I was robbed.
What I have on the left is a big gaping hole in the metal with some insulation material over it and the overlying rear deck grille. You are correct, however, that there does appear to be something small on the left, and something larger on the right between the metal and the speaker grille, although I am not certain that it is a sub.

I do, however, have the unit that is in the spare tire well that is not shown on the first pic of the S6, but is shown on the pic of the A7. It seems odd that I would have both the under deck and tire well subs.

????
Old 02-03-2014, 05:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Vijay
What I have on the left is a big gaping hole in the metal with some insulation material over it and the overlying rear deck grille. You are correct, however, that there does appear to be something small on the left, and something larger on the right between the metal and the speaker grille, although I am not certain that it is a sub.

I do, however, have the unit that is in the spare tire well that is not shown on the first pic of the S6, but is shown on the pic of the A7. It seems odd that I would have both the under deck and tire well subs.

????
Well I just looked at my spare compartment and low and behold there appears to be a sub like in the S7 pictures. I guess I was looking for anything that would alleviate my concerns of being deprived a sub-woofer
Old 02-03-2014, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by S4thrills
Have you seen the stock sub? It's no bigger than a pimple on a gnat's ***. :-)

EDIT: I am only referring to my car with the Bose system. Perhaps the B&O sub was bigger...
Well, on mine IIRC, the B&O sub and amp is large enough to block about 3-4" of trunk height clearance on the left side. While there's the space advantage of having it in the spare well, I wonder what happens to the bass when the trunk is full of luggage.

Quick Reply: Am I missing a subwoofer?