S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Mystery collision behavior in S6

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 02:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery collision behavior in S6

Hi again everybody. NJ Turnpike Troopers were astonished to witness this. Nobody at (excellent) Bridgewater Audi dealers could explain. My S6 has full collision control. Just north of Newark Airport on the 12-lane Turnpike (1) the express (car) and local (truck) lanes merge; (2) it divides into Lincoln Tunnel arm and GW Bridge arm which I was on, and (3) it rises up to cross the Passaic River and a rail line. I was in the center car lane on that slope in the slow speed merge when an 18-wheeler pushed in front of me from the left lanes - and then stopped. I stopped too, about 15 feet behind. Then he rolled back onto me. Three State Trooper vehicles stopped within seconds and protected my rear. They were all standing by the car directing traffic and checking if I needed a flatbed truck. The 18 wheeler started up and pulled ahead about 15 feet and again rolled back onto me - twice - before the cops could stop the guy. The mystery is this: why did the gearbox lock itself into Park (really) so I could not move? One Trooper said he'd seen this before, on a BMW, and guessed the radar and collision computer thought I was the one on the move, and Park was its ultimate move. He said if its like the BMW wait 2 minutes and it will release - and in fact it did. So IS this a feature, or a bug?
Old 02-09-2019, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, that's sucks, sorry to hear this.

You sure it was stuck/locked in Park and not just the brakes being strongly applied?

I'd also like to hear the truck drivers lame excuse for hitting you not once but twice?!
Old 02-09-2019, 05:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When the driver (owner-driver in his 60s) came to the back of his truck I could hear him telling a State Trooper "I had to stop, and the guy slammed into me from behind". He was told to give it a rest as half a dozen Troopers saw him go in reverse - twice! He then did say to me "gearbox or clutch failed" and maybe was grateful I did not press for a charge. Yes wheel brakes applied is definitely the systems main resort! Plus lights and noise, it sure doesnt want us to sleep through our last seconds on Earth. Parking brake is a differential lock, right? It was that. BTW the car has only a relatively small dent - not cheap as its the radiator grill but the repair shop said "Yes new Audis can withstand tremendous hits right there".