S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

New transmission recommended C7 S6

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New transmission recommended C7 S6

What's up everyone! Just posting for others reference, hopefully my little drama is of value to you.

Purchased a 13' S6 65k+- miles from Strong Audi Salt Lake City, UT. had the car trucked to me in FL.. *Purchased via phone & email.

Upon receipt of the vehicle, while operating it in S mode, I observed the ridiculously unsafe "lurch" the car will do when slowing from 5mph - 0mph as in pulling into a parking spot/garage, etc.. I noticed the tranny also awkwardly down-shifted when slowing from 20-0 (think stop lights) as well...
In D mode, it behaved w/o the drama.. Having owned numerous high TQ/HP cars, and all of them with paddle or gearshift lever shifting trannys.. I thought this behavior a little but outside of the norm I came to know (AMGs, other TTv8's, 911Turbo, etc).. I hit the internet to see if anyone else had experienced the same, and sure enough I thought I found the culprit, a simple DSG software issue.. and a simple update/reprogramming or two would resolve the issue. I put it on my to-do list for ASAP.. I drive less than a few hundred miles pr mo, so it wasn't a priority..

Once fine evening I come out to my car to see dried water droplets on the windshield.. except, it hadn't rained, and no sprinklers were in sight.. I figured a bird.. Get in, start the car: Coolant Low! add coolant (or whatever the exact txt).. Car gets trucked to (Crown) Audi dealer, I advise them to also flash my transmission software to the the most current, while addressing this lost coolant issue (something about a hose clamp going bad).. They flashed the most current software to my TCU; a few weeks of using the car sparingly go by.. Tranny seems a bit less crazy.. but still very abrupt at times.. beyond what any "sport" mode of a performance car's transmission should feel like.. Fast forward a few more weeks (only a hundred or so miles since TCU update)

I'm getting gas, I go to start car, nothing.. I presume I didn't push the start button hard enough, or maybe not at all.. I try again, car starts, RPM's drop to 5/600+-.. car wants to stall, I shift to D to try to prevent it, car lurches forward a few feet, and you can tell the car wants to stall..
I cross my fingers that I can make it 3-5miles back to the Audi dealer... I arrive.. They move the car to the back at which point any subsequent attempts to start it, cause it to stall.. this is July 3rd...

Few days later svc advisor calls me to say: The (electronically controlled/adjustable) motor-mounts are causing the engine to shut down, too much play in them, they're shot, and need to be replaced... OK.. better than a new tranny.. I tell them to proceed with the work..
Few days later svc advisor calls me to say: Motor mounts replaced, we test drove car, and it still stalls... :/ ... We're going to get Audi (corporate's) super-tech-or-whatever to assess this... they said no codes were being thrown to tell them specifically what was wrong, or why the car was shutting down..
Few days later svc advisor calls me to say: They said the transmission needs to be replaced, the full cost of the tranny is about $17k !.... LMAO... Nah.. I don't think so... I asked specifically what component w/in the tranny has failed.. he didn't know.. I asked if it was serviceable..he said he'd check (younger guy, likely not been there many years- but good kid) .. I hit the forums, and internet in general.. clearly the tranny is serviceable.. My svc advisor is back to work tomorrow, I'll be reconvening with him then to find out the latest..

If I'll update this thread as I know more..

My main gripe is with the selling (Strong) Audi, they had this car on their lot for 4 month's.. if I could recognize during my 1st use of the vehicle that it wasn't "right".. there's absolutely no way that no one at their dealership in 4 month's of possession observed the issues..Or, if that was the case, then all of their people are so ignorant to the characteristics of their vehicles they didn't notice an issue.. either version is sub-par.. I didn't say "Boo" to them when the tires they shipped me the car with were ALL dry rotted which they conveniently neglected to tell me when I inquired about them.. I paid on my own dime to update the tranny software, I didn't say a word about the coolant issue.. again, I bought a used, as-is car.. I get it.. but concealing (or an Audi dealer being ignorant to) the condition of the transmission is beyond something I could accept.

Audi corporate is babysitting this event.. the servicing dealer is trying to work with the local/regional corporate rep to see what, if anything they can/will do to assist... and they've advised the selling dealer ( #StrongAudi ) that I've reached out to log a complaint, someone named Samuel from Strong called my on Friday evening, said he was very concerned about the matter, would speak with his team, and get back with me.. I'm still waiting..... When I emailed Strong Audi earlier in the day, their F&I manager was promptly dismissive with an "I'm sorry", and then a copy-n-paste summary of the as-is agreement, etc, etc I'd have been presented with.. However, had they been honest about the cars condition.. I'd not have selected this car.. So they're either lairs, or the least capable Audi dealership around.. I wonder which one?

.. Stay tuned..
Old 07-24-2018, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

The MSRP on the 2013 - Audi - S6 - AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE is only $9,146.64, $8k for install and misc?

2013 - Audi - S6 - AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE
Audi Part Number: 0B5300056L006
MSRP = $9,146.64 Online Price = $8,506.40

Most of the time the issue is only the mechatronic in the transmission.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

M444, thank you!

I just typed a lengthy reply, submitted it..and it's not here!?

Anyway.. still awaiting details from the servicing dealer.. they've responded to my request to only address the failed components with: "the parts and labor total will almost equal the price of the new transmission installed".. !?
Still awaiting a response in-depth from the selling dealer, and from Audi's corporate local rep, as to whether or not they'll provide any monetary assistance with the situation.

I've located a local, reputable transmission repair shop that expressed confidence in, and familiarity with these transmissions, and quoted $3300+- for the repair, as well as offered extended warranty options on their work.. If Audi can't come up with something reasonable, then I'm flatbedding' it to the tranny shop.. and crossing my fingers that they are, and can do what they've stated.. I'm no psychic, but the service mgr at the tranny shop certainly appeared to know his stuff.

Will keep everyone in the loop.. as I can't imagine I'm the only one going through this.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$17k to install a new transmission seems excessive. At the least you should call a couple of other dealers and ask for an estimate.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a common DSG “ feature”. I had a 2013=and now a 2016 that lurches. I find that if you keep your foot on the brake and come to a complete stop that it reduces the lurch. It is caused by the tranny going down to first. Annoying I know but this is my only complaint. I just love this car. Like buttah. ��
Old 07-27-2018, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So.. the latest is: The selling dealer (Strong Audi Salt Lake City UT) seemingly sees no urgency, and has let me know that "I am still reviewing this deal from the time this unit entered my inventory and the information provided to me after that. I will be in touch mid next week after month end close. If I am able to completely go through all the information, I will reach out to you before that." -which I suppose is more than their F&I manager's boilerplate email... so I wait..

My local servicing dealer (Crown Audi) is in my opinion continuing to be a stand-up shop.. I don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but all I know is that as of today: I've been offered a 72% discount on the transmission replacement, and for the premium that's costing me over going with the independent's rebuild.. I figure it best to go with a brand new tranny, and have Audi themselves perform the work.. I can't say I'm happy about putting $8k+- (including motor mounts) into a used car.. but, it is what it is, and I'm very content, and appreciative of Crown Audi's (and Audi Corporate who's rep apparently authorized the goodwill gesture) compliance to my persistence in obtaining the most customer friendly outcome possible (within reason, lol) ..

They've put in the order for the tranny, it's expected in early next week, and hopefully I'll be back in my car by next weekend. I'll provide an update to let everyone know if motor mounts, and a brand new tranny, lol addressed the extra jumpiness', awkward downshifts, etc I was experiencing. I see Goliath1 said this is typical, and I did read around the forums and see a few are also experiencing it.. but my issue was evidently beyond the typical software stuff.. Let's see what happens!
Old 08-06-2018, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Old 08-07-2018, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Getting there..
Old 08-18-2018, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Honestly, sounds like an issue with the mechatronic which is serviceable. Specifically, the electronics module. It can now be bought separately for $400.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

That sucks. Hope you won't have anymore issues. You bought a car sight unseen from an Audi dealer, but it wasn't CPO? It clearly hadn't been inspected or they couldn't certify it, either way major red flag, especially if you can't inspect the car yourself before buying.

Quick Reply: New transmission recommended C7 S6