S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Night vision problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 10:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Night vision problems

Okay so i guess i will start from the beginning. I purchased a honeycomb grill from ebay (i know...) and when i installed it just about every fit perfect except the night vision camera. There is a locking collar on the front of the camera unit that would not fit so i removed it and it fit perfectly. Several months passed with no issue, camera worked fine. One day i noticed that there was a saucer shaped glass piece on the front of the camera that had become unlodged from the camera unit (didnt realize the collar held it in place) So i just removed it figuring id do some more work to the grill and re-install collar. Camera still worked fine. Than tonight when i turned the camera on i all i could see was a haze. I thought maybe it was due to rainy weather. When i got home and in the garage i tried the camera again, still haze. So i removed the camera unit and took it inside. I noticed that it had some moisture around the edges of the lense so i disassembled the camera carefully and saw that the inside of the lense had moisture. I dried everything off and then disassembled the rest of the camera to see if there was any wetness on the circuit boards. everything there was perfectly dry with no sign of corrosion. I reassembled the camera and plugged it back into my car.... still haze. so i removed the round glass saucer and the backside was wet again. So i dried it off and replaced it. still haze. so i hooked up my OBD-Eleven to run some tests. everything appeared to work fine (im not a vagcom guru at all) i tried to calibrate setting and it gave me an error so i reset it all back to factory. and it would turn on again, just still a grey haze. I tried to run a shutter test and gave me an error, than threw the code "no basic settings" now when i press the night vision camera the car gives an error saying system fault on the dash..... I dont think i changed any settings. can anyone help me? or did i just completely ruin my night vision system?
Old 05-29-2018, 05:54 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Sorry I don't have an answer to your problem, but it does sound like the camera or at least the lens is messed up. Kinda sounds like what you get if you turn it on in the rain on the highway.
FWIW the front "glass" is actually Germanium and the replacement is quite expensive so don't lose it.
$681 repair kit
https://www.audiusaparts.com/oem-par...Y4LWdhcw%3D%3D
The camera alone is more than the whole option was from the factory.
$2415 night vision camera
https://www.audiusaparts.com/oem-par...Y4LWdhcw%3D%3D