S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

No sound alert with Pre Sense Plus

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 05:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No sound alert with Pre Sense Plus

There should be a sound alert
when my 2013 S6 is too close to a car in front traveling at the appropriate speeds for this to occur according to the manual(a feature of collision avoidance.) A visual red car icon does appear on the dash display and the HUD but no audible alert can be heard.The S6 is currently in the dealership to have this checked out. All alerts and braking gard are turned on in the Car Systems config.The S6 has innovation package. I have tried one to three car lengths on on the ACC stalk along with various speeds accelerating up to a car in front trying to simulate various conditions. Audi YouTube demo clearly states that Phase One of the Pre Sense Plus shows a visual and audible alert. Still no audible alert in real life conditions .Any suggestions?
Old 06-30-2013, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Mine doesn't make a sound either. Didn't know it was supposed to.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

I've played around with this pretty extensively. The warning chime has occurred only three or four times, but it's there. My take on this is it's set to come on just before the brakes auto-apply when you're just about to hit the car in front. (My presense plus brakes have only engaged once in 12K miles). The difficulty in testing this is you almost have to hit the car in front to see it work. Usually, I'll chicken out and step on the brakes which defeats the chime and the auto-braking.

I feel presense plus is calibrated too narrowly, in my car at least. The red warning symbol timing is ok but the chime and possibly the brakes could be programmed to engage a bit sooner than they do now. Well, on second thought, maybe not the brakes, as they would be engaging more often and too soon but certainly the chime could sound sooner and still after the red symbol. Perhaps the chime sensitivity can be modified Vag-Com - someone may already have figured this out?

I believe you have to have the presense plus (not just presense rear) which is only available with the Driver Assistance and Innovation packages to get the forward presense features. At least in the U.S.

Last edited by snagitseven; 06-30-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have tried on several occasions even with my sales rep who is a techie and could not get the alert to chime. Did this with the risk of rear ending someone as has been mentioned.The red car icon appears but no audible. It's lame to think it will go off just before impact.Distractions can occur in spite of our best efforts to keep our eye on the road all the time.The red visual is useless since you're watching the road anyway.The S6 is at the dealership for the second time after they said everything checks out.
I even had them watch the YouTube video produced by Audi... to be continued...
Old 06-30-2013, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

^^What snagit said. I get the red visual alert when I'm tailgating, but the audible alert has only come on twice - once when some jerkwad in a stopped lane next to me pulled into my lane right in front of me, causing me to test my ABS, and the other time when I ran up on someone quite a bit harder than I should have.

If you're just running up on someone a little, it won't go audible on you. It doesn't chime until there's some pucker factor.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One would think the chime would come on long before the car applies the breaks to give you the warning and a chance to do something before the car decides for you. I see this as a fault in design if it doesn't work this way. If it only chimes when/after the car applied the breaks what good is it.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Lazydog
One would think the chime would come on long before the car applies the breaks to give you the warning and a chance to do something before the car decides for you. I see this as a fault in design if it doesn't work this way. If it only chimes when/after the car applied the breaks what good is it.
As I wrote in my previous post, the chime will sound before brakes are applied. In any case, I'm in agreement with you that the chime should be sooner in between the red symbol and the brakes.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have had my car beep at me several times and display the distance warning in the dash. The beep is very quiet and does not override the MMI volume as far as I recall. It could certainly be louder in my opinion. I have never had the car automatically apply the brakes however.

In each case the situation was that another car was turning off of the single lane road that I was traveling on, and the car thought I was on a collision course. Unless the car in front is completely out of the lane, the collision prevention system sees it as an obstacle in the road. I believe this would be the best way to try and induce an intentional intervention as you only need to swerve a little bit to avoid the car if the car does not intervene.

On a side note, I do not know if this system will recognize a stationary vehicle the same as a vehicle that was moving and then stopped. It seems to favor moving objects which makes sense.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ///M Traitor
On a side note, I do not know if this system will recognize a stationary vehicle the same as a vehicle that was moving and then stopped. It seems to favor moving objects which makes sense.
Reports I've seen would indicate Presense Plus only reacts with moving objects.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Reports I've seen would indicate Presense Plus only reacts with moving objects.
Correct. The manual specifically warns that ACC or Pre-sense will not detect an already stationary object.

Quick Reply: No sound alert with Pre Sense Plus