S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Pre Sense Braking out of control - to leave on or turn off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pre Sense Braking out of control - to leave on or turn off?

I've had to recent incidents where the pre sense braking almost caused two accidents.

The first one (kinda my fault) was when I was in the middle lane of a three lane hwy and I saw the car in front of me brake. I was a bit too close to him. I veered halfway into the left lane to get out of trouble when the presense slammed on the brakes. Had a car been coming fast on the left lane I would've been hit.

The second one (and this one scares me because unlike the first one it wasn't the fault of my bad driving) I was on a road under construction and there was one of those metal plates on the asphalt covering a hole. I slowed down and as I was about to go over it the car slammed on the brakes. Had I had a car my tail he surely would've hit me. The pre sense feature thought the road plate was a wall or a car.

I love that this feature can save me from an accident, but it may get me into one first. Has anyone had an experience like this? Does anyone have theirs deactivated?
Old 07-02-2013, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S6Express
Has anyone had an experience like this? Does anyone have theirs deactivated?
I've had mine deactivated since the first time it went on and freaked me out.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by S6Express
...The second one (and this one scares me because unlike the first one it wasn't the fault of my bad driving) I was on a road under construction and there was one of those metal plates on the asphalt covering a hole. I slowed down and as I was about to go over it the car slammed on the brakes. Had I had a car my tail he surely would've hit me. The pre sense feature thought the road plate was a wall or a car.
That's really weird since per the manual, Presense Plus does not react to stationary objects.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
That's really weird since per the manual, Presense Plus does not react to stationary objects.
In this case it must've thought the steel plate was moving.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I've had my S6 for about 5 months/5,000 miles. The only time it went off when I didn't want it to was when I was on track.

I've received the warning about 5 times on the street, but it never actually applied the brakes to make the situation unsafe.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had the warning symbol and chime activate (usually due to a car turning right directly in front of me), but never had the brakes activate. It seems that you might have a calibration issue and the dealer should investigate.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Check and see what setting you have your adaptive cruise set at. There are three settings like drive select; comfort, standard and sporty. If yours is in sporty then the pre-sense will kick in very quicky and early. Comfort obviously gives the most amount of leeway.

They are all tied together.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HyperS4
Check and see what setting you have your adaptive cruise set at. There are three settings like drive select; comfort, standard and sporty. If yours is in sporty then the pre-sense will kick in very quicky and early. Comfort obviously gives the most amount of leeway.

good call on that one Hyper.

I feel like audi got it backwards though. Sporty should give the most leeway and comfort should react the quickest. Or maybe i am backwards. It just seems that if you are going to be driving sporty or on a track then you would want the pre-sense to be less aggressively looking for objects in front.

Oh well at any rate - This has kicked in a couple of times for me, but honestly can't say it has almost caused an accident. It kicked in and actually helped avoid an accident due to back seat midget distractions. Needless to say it is a good safety feature in my mind. It has never come on when i am driving alone and able to concentrate on the task at hand.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

.. There are three settings like drive select; comfort, standard and sporty.
I think you meant "Auto" vs "standard" and "Dynamic" vs "sporty". (Although Dynamic is kinda sporty). And then of course, there's the "Individual" mode where each of the ADS options can be set to any of the three modes including the ACC.

I'm still confused how an inanimate metal grate lying in the road could trigger a Presense Plus brake action. Something is definitely not right with his system if that's what triggered it. Scary.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Man, Hyper. I thought you had hit the nail on the head. Got in the car this morning and surely knew my adaptive cc was going to be on the most agressive setting. It wasn't. It was on the farthest car length setting. I'll have to ask the dealer to look at the system, but I already know what they're going to say. The dreaded "can't duplicate symptoms".

Quick Reply: Pre Sense Braking out of control - to leave on or turn off?