S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Premium Options and Services Post Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was considering AudiCare, but after reading the links I think it might not be worth it for me. The reasons being:

I'll already get 5k service with the car.

I'll likely want more frequent oil changes than they offer so will probably learn to do it myself (how much effort is required on an S6 to change the filter and oil?)

They don't include many maintenance items they should, like wiper blades.

Many of the checks they include a dealer will do anyway without charge (particularly at the dealer you purchased your car)

Will I actually want Audi products, or might I prefer an alternative oil, filter, or spark plugs when needed?

You have to consider the time value of money. Even with low interest rates, your money could be doing other things in the five or so years you're covered.

So my only question would be, is there anything more complicated about an S6 that would make a reasonably competent DIYer to do in their driveway? How much will oil and filter cost from dealer or Walmart (or any reason I should avoid anything but Audi filter)?

Thanks for the evals. You guys may have saved me a few hundred dollars.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jascooper
I was considering AudiCare, but after reading the links I think it might not be worth it for me. The reasons being:

I'll likely want more frequent oil changes than they offer so will probably learn to do it myself (how much effort is required on an S6 to change the filter and oil?)

Many of the checks they include a dealer will do anyway without charge (particularly at the dealer you purchased your car)

Will I actually want Audi products, or might I prefer an alternative oil, filter, or spark plugs when needed?

You have to consider the time value of money. Even with low interest rates, your money could be doing other things in the five or so years you're covered.

So my only question would be, is there anything more complicated about an S6 that would make a reasonably competent DIYer to do in their driveway? How much will oil and filter cost from dealer or Walmart (or any reason I should avoid anything but Audi filter)?

I opted for AudiCare for my S4 (then ended up getting reimbursed for it when they temporarily ran out of backup cameras and my car was delivered without one). I feel the same as you: even with full synthetic, the oil analysis I've seen for the 3.0T engine say 15k is too long an interval. So I do an extra change in between the included 15k changes. I ONLY use the Audi filter, and personally would recommend the same.

My S6 hasn't been delivered yet, so I can't verify, but it looks like the 4.0T holds almost 9 qts of oil. 9 x $8/qt plus ~$12 for a filter means your cost is about $85 to DIY. If you do every 7.5k, you're already at about $450 in oil/filters by ~40k.

Also, on the DSG B8 S4, to chnage the DSG tranny oil was ~$500 at the dealer. It's not clear to me what the S-tronic C7 S6 may require as its not the DSG tranny, but something to look into.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't plan on paying $8 a quart for oil, and I'll likely hit the yearly marks before mileage.

So I figure I'm getting 4 oil/filter changes. With AudiCare. I may be dead or the car gone before I get to tranny oil, and an indy should be a lot less than $500.

I'm thinking I'll get twice as many oil changes and maybe the transmission done for what AudiCare will cost me. For the other stuff, I'll probably be at the dealer enough that they'll be doing the checks and other things gratis. For example, I'm known for complaining about wiper blade life, and dealers will change them just to get rid of me.

And I'm far too impatient to wait 5 years to get my $800 worth of service...
Old 02-27-2013, 05:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm picking up my s6 in the next couple days. The dealer mentioned a windshield replacement program. It costs $499 and covers you for 5 years. If your windshield cracks they will replace it with OEM glass up to 5 times per year for 5 years. I live in Colorado and take plenty of rocks to the windshield. I have always gotten the chips drilled and filled before spreading. Not sure if this one sounds like a good deal or not. What do you guys think?
Old 02-27-2013, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mirin S6
It costs $499 and covers you for 5 years. If your windshield cracks they will replace it with OEM glass up to 5 times per year for 5 years.
Sounds like a good deal to me. At $100 a year if you replace the windshield once, you're ahead. You can drop your regular insurance glass coverage.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jascooper

I look at this another way. With Audi care I drop off my car in the morning. They give me a loaner and they call me when its done and I pick it up after work. I can make more money at work instead of changing my own oil and I know its done correctly. To me the ease the process with audi care is what does it for me.