S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Random stalling on 2016 S6

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random stalling on 2016 S6

My first post in this forum. I'm looking for ideas on a really odd stalling issue with my 2014 S6. The car was bought in Jan 2015 and has barely 15K miles on it. I've come to the point I'm seriously considering getting rid of this car if this issue can't be solved.
The car ran fine in 2015 and 2016. It suffered a small rear collision in June 2016

Starting April 2017, the following problems started.
  1. ar stalled while driving inside a parking garage. Symptom: engine on but not running. Hitting the start button would not start the engine or shut it down. Dash was on, MMI screen was out. Warning lighs on in dash (two yellow lights on left end of the dash). Car remained in this stage (lights and dash on, not starting or shutting down) for at least 20 minutes. Waving the key fob at the dash panel (where there is a )))) mark) eventually caused the car to turn off. Then it restarted normally and behaved fine.
  2. Within a few days, the car stalled while driving home. I was slowing down to stop at a stop sign. Car stalled a few feet from the intersection. Same pattern as above. After 10-15 minutes it started.
    1. At this point I brought the car in for the first time
  3. Car was parked in office garage. At the end of the day, I got into car, started it – same symptoms as above. Car was in park the entire time. After a few minutes, it started and behaved normally. Car was brought in for second time
  4. Car was parked in home garage. I tried to start it in the morning – it fired and then stalled. Car was in park the entire time. I had some meetings I did from home. After a few hours, I got back into the car and it started normally. Car was brought in for third time
  5. Car was parked in home garage. I tried to start it in the morning – it fired. As I was moving the shifter from Park, it stalled. I moved the shifter back to Park, car showed same symptoms as above. Eventually I moved it from Park to Drive and back. Then it started normally. Car was brought in for fourth time.
For the first two incidents, the car was moving. The last 3 incidents: the car was stationary - I had just started it.
After incident 3: the dealer replaced the engine relays.
After incident 4: the dealer replaced the battery.
After incident 5: the transmission has been reprogrammed.

The dealer has been fairly responsive about this issue. They assign their best tech to my car each time, the guy has the history. For incident 5, they had someone from Audi come in and look at the car. There have been no error codes. They've checked the wiring, the start button etc - everything looks fine.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Transmission, more specifically the clutch not behaving normally?
Old 11-15-2017, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe a leaking injector? If the leak is big enough, it can fill the cylinder and hydrolock the engine (luckily, at idle, it likely will only stall and not bend anything). After awhile, the fuel will leak past the rings and into the oil. Has your oil level changed? Open the fill cap and see if there's any smell of fuel.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the responses. My initial assumption was also that this may be a transmission issue. However the last three times it has stalled right after start so I am no longer sure. In any case, the dealer reprogrammed the transmission during the last visit, the car shifts much better now (less jerky). I will look into the leaking injector hypothesis.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Car stalled for the seventh time this year. This time I managed to video the behavior, and got the Audi tech on the phone while sitting in the car. A particular sequence of steps got the car to shut down and then start.
The service department at the dealer brought in an expert tech from Houston to help diagnose the problem - eventually they diagnosed this as a defective comfort module and replaced it.
I just got the car back after 2 weeks. Fingers crossed - if this happens again I intend to ask Audi for a swap or buyout.