S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Rough upshifts in manual mode while accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 10:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough upshifts in manual mode while accelerating

Hi All,

I've had this issue since day 1 on my '17 S6. In manual mode only, the upshifts seem to be rough under moderate to hard acceleration. Very similar to a true manual when coming out of gear and you don't let off the throttle enough (almost like a clunk). This happens typically in higher RPM ranges, but nowhere near redline. If I ease off the gas a bit, it's better. Auto mode in D or S is flawless. Dealer says this is normal (i.e. no codes thrown), but I can't really find anyone having mentioned it as a "feature" of our transmission or else I am not searching for the right keyword.

Thanks,
Ved
Old 03-15-2018, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

I haven't noticed any clunking on my car with maybe just 1 exception, that I don't even remember how it happened... and I almost exclusively use it in manual mode too. This DCT is not nearly as sophisticated as the PDK on my ex-Porsche, but not that bad. Also, not nearly as quick either. What you could try if you have VCDS is to calibrate the clutches, although they're supposed to be calibrated properly from the factory, but it's an easy enough procedure you do with the engine running and in P. Search for it if interested. By the way, you can be a bit more specific, trying to duplicate such instance, and some of us could try to duplicate for you in our cars. The way I interpreted your issue is you're letting the throttle off when shifting, when you absolutely don't have to do that on a DCT. But maybe I was reading your statement wrong. Once you detail your issue, we can comment further.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi elp_jc,

Thanks for the reply. I really don't do anything fancy to make this happen. Simply accelerating hard while shifting up closer to 4+K RPM in manual will almost always cause the clunk. It is as if the gears have too much force on them while they are sliding away from each other - it feels like the out direction. If I accelerate easy or ease off the pedal after hard accel right before shifting, the problem is reduced and sometimes not detectable. Down shifts work perfectly.

Clutch plates then? And why only in manual? Could I have enough wear on the gears already to be concerned?

I was not aware of the vcds clutch calibration procedure - will look for it.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Okay, I get it now. And no, it doesn't sound normal to me, since DCTs excel at shifting under load; that's what they do best. And no, with a 2017 car, no way your gears are worn ot anything. Definitely sounds like a calibration issue. If you have VCDS, try it; it should help a lot in your case. What you're describing was very prevalent on my Porsche before tranny was at operating temperature, and I sometimes feel it on my car, but once fully hot, it works fine. I almost always use the tranny in S (manual) mode, which is when it's probably more prone to having that behavior until fully hot. Maybe we should use normal mode until oil temperature starts showing up (around 150ºF), since shifts are more relaxed. Bottom line is you don't really seem to have a mechanical issue; I bet a calibration will improve things. And with such a new car, it'll be the way it should feel; hopefully it'll be to your satisfaction. I can honestly tell you this tranny is not anywhere near my departing PDK, unfortunately, but I MUCH prefer it to a regular auto, like the ZF8 being used now on almost everything, including the RS7. Good luck, and keep us posted. Let me know if you don't find the tranny calibration thread; I probably have it bookmarked somewhere. Take care.

EDIT: Found a thread over VCDS, but I'm sure saw another over AZ. Here's the VCDS one: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...arbox_(DSG/0B5)

Last edited by elp_jc; 03-16-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

If you are manually shifting at 4K RPM or higher I expect that you would have a feeling very similar to that of a standard transmission. While it is hard to define what a "clunk" is without hearing it, the car definitely does shift hard in manual mode at higher RPMs. My S7 does it and the other S6 and S7 cars I have driven have also done it.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

19hole - Sigh. Perhaps I am overstating the clunk. The problem is that passengers don't seem to feel it, so its not a big enough judder. Most of the feeling seems to be coming out of the gas pedal.

If what you describe as hard (or rough, my version) only happens in manual, then that is probably it. The bottom line is that when in auto, the shifting is smooth, while in manual with decent amount of throttle, it is absolutely not. I have to presume that the computer modulates the throttle just enough in auto to let up ever so slightly before a shift? I have no other explanation assuming its not intentional.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I feel the same thing. I wonder if the transmission wants to be rev’d that high. Seems like it doesn’t.