S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

S6/S7 Winter Tire/Wheel Question

Old 05-16-2018, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S6/S7 Winter Tire/Wheel Question

I know there have been quite a few threads on winter tires/wheels for the S6/S7 but hoping for the group’s expertise on a few issues. My recently acquired 2016 S6 will be my first car where I intend to get dedicated winter tires (I have previously “made do” with Continental ExtremeContract DWS all-seasons on my cars). I’ve cross posted in the C7 S6 and S7 threads assuming that the answer is probably the same for both cars.1) Is it worthwhile to invest in a full set of tires and wheels for the winter or just get a set of tires and switch them out on the OEM wheels twice a year? For background, I have the OEM 20” titanium finish wheels on the car. 2) If the recommendation is just tires, how much of a process is it to get the tires swapped out twice a year? I would assume that the whole package would need to be re-aligned and balanced after each transfer? Any thoughts on approximate cost?3) If the recommendation is to get both wheels and tires, any recommendations on good (but not terribly expensive) wheels? TireRack seems to have an extensive selection in 19” wheels (my preferred size for winter tires) but I don’t know the first thing about wheels. I am also assuming that there is little benefit to the Audi recommended winter combo package (7.5x19 ET33 alloys, 235/45 R19 Continental ContiWinterContacts) at $3200? Seems overpriced but thought I would ask if anyone knows of any unique benefits with this package.4) What equipment would you recommend to change out the tires/wheels on my own if I go with a full set of winter tires/wheels? I would assume it can be done with the standard tire change kit that comes with the car but I am sure there is a better way. I am also concerned about over-torqueing the bolts with just the standard tire iron. 5) Finally, with respect to tires, TireRack and the threads seems split on Pirelli Sottozero 3 or Bridgestone Blizzaks. Any recent experience from the NE region from this past winter that might sway me one way or the other?Thanks to all in advance.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default winter tires

I bought a set of Audi 19" wheels from a person upgrading and got an extra set of summer tires to boot. It is best for the tires and probably cheaper than dynamic balancing twice a year to just buy wheels and tires. Tire choice depends on whether you want to go toward performance winter tires (good in light snow) or tires more geared to heavier snow, giving up some performance. After speaking with Tire Rack I chose the former and got Michelin Arctic Alpin PA4. I've had 4 seasons on these, maybe 20K miles and have been delighted with the performance and ride quality. They are actually quieter than the summer Pirelli P zeros and I feel like I am driving a tank in snow. Remember that braking distance on ice and snow is the key parameter to consider and that all cars become 4-wheel drive :-) when the brakes lock the wheels.

Originally Posted by EmoryHockey22
I know there have been quite a few threads on winter tires/wheels for the S6/S7 but hoping for the group’s expertise on a few issues. My recently acquired 2016 S6 will be my first car where I intend to get dedicated winter tires (I have previously “made do” with Continental ExtremeContract DWS all-seasons on my cars). I’ve cross posted in the C7 S6 and S7 threads assuming that the answer is probably the same for both cars.1) Is it worthwhile to invest in a full set of tires and wheels for the winter or just get a set of tires and switch them out on the OEM wheels twice a year? For background, I have the OEM 20” titanium finish wheels on the car. 2) If the recommendation is just tires, how much of a process is it to get the tires swapped out twice a year? I would assume that the whole package would need to be re-aligned and balanced after each transfer? Any thoughts on approximate cost?3) If the recommendation is to get both wheels and tires, any recommendations on good (but not terribly expensive) wheels? TireRack seems to have an extensive selection in 19” wheels (my preferred size for winter tires) but I don’t know the first thing about wheels. I am also assuming that there is little benefit to the Audi recommended winter combo package (7.5x19 ET33 alloys, 235/45 R19 Continental ContiWinterContacts) at $3200? Seems overpriced but thought I would ask if anyone knows of any unique benefits with this package.4) What equipment would you recommend to change out the tires/wheels on my own if I go with a full set of winter tires/wheels? I would assume it can be done with the standard tire change kit that comes with the car but I am sure there is a better way. I am also concerned about over-torqueing the bolts with just the standard tire iron. 5) Finally, with respect to tires, TireRack and the threads seems split on Pirelli Sottozero 3 or Bridgestone Blizzaks. Any recent experience from the NE region from this past winter that might sway me one way or the other?Thanks to all in advance.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

Although not the ideal tire, I have used the Michelin A/S 3+ on my S7 year round. It is a good compromise and I don't need to change tire/wheels twice a year. Winters in New England can vary quite a bit, but with the snow we had this year I had no issues driving.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you for the responses. What do folks use for service jacks, stands, etc. if they are putting their own sets on? Is it easier just to have an independent shop do it?
Old 05-17-2018, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

I also decided to an all-around tire, and I'm happy with the Conti DWS06s. They have all the grip I need on the streets, plus they're way better on the rain and on the cold than any summer tire, plus quieter, cheaper, and last much longer. A summer tire on a heavy beast of a sedan like the S6 makes no sense to me, but to each his own.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I just bought all new rims and tires. Bought sweet 20" rims and Continental DWS06 tires. They are amazing in the Dry, Wet and Snow so I never have to change tires or wheels out. I will probably do something like plasti-dip my rims for winter just to protect the black chrome finish.