S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

S6 Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S6 Steering Wheel

Hey guys,

Quick question on the 2016-2017 Audi S6.

Is the flat bottom steering wheel thicker than the round steering wheel (cold weather package)?

Is anything else different between them?

Someone told me that S6 flat bottom wheel is same tickness as the one in RS7. Not sure about this.

Can anyone with experience please opine on this?

Thanks a bunch!!!!
Old 10-16-2016, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I believe it is thicker than the round one. Likely the same thickness as the RS7. Flat bottom is not heated.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I currently have a loaner Q5 (S-Line package). The flat-bottomed wheel (which is half-perforated) is definitely thicker and more nicely-shaped than my heated wheel. I still can't understand why Audi can't add heat to these wheels - they are really nice.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thicker than round wheel, yes. Same as RS7, yes, in shape/thickness. But the RS has perforated leather wrap.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Does anyone have the flat bottom wheel and wish they had the round / heated? I agree on not using the heated wheel very much. Have had it in a few cars and think I turned it on like 3 times and all 3 times then had to turn it off a few mins later as it was annoying.

So I would like the flat bottom wheel I think. That said, the CPO car I have found which is perfect in every way (even has the B&O) has the round / heated wheel. I don't think I want to go through the headache and potential safety concern of swapping out the wheel. Any other pros/cons to the two wheels?
Old 12-08-2016, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I loves me my heated wheel - hedonistic in every respect. Of course, I live in the Great White North, so YMMV. As I noted above, it's disappointing that Audi couldn't add a simple heating element to the flat-bottomed wheel. Regardless, I wouldn't switch, even for better aesthetics and "hand feel". The heated wheel isn't terrible, in fact it's pretty good. Just not as good as the sport wheel.

As an aside, the thermostat will adjust as you drive. Just as you think it's getting uncomfortably warm and consider turning it off, it goes into a very pleasant maintenance mode. The only time I turn it off is during the summer or when it's unseasonably warm.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
I loves me my heated wheel - hedonistic in every respect. Of course, I live in the Great White North, so YMMV. As I noted above, it's disappointing that Audi couldn't add a simple heating element to the flat-bottomed wheel. Regardless, I wouldn't switch, even for better aesthetics and "hand feel". The heated wheel isn't terrible, in fact it's pretty good. Just not as good as the sport wheel.

As an aside, the thermostat will adjust as you drive. Just as you think it's getting uncomfortably warm and consider turning it off, it goes into a very pleasant maintenance mode. The only time I turn it off is during the summer or when it's unseasonably warm.
DeerHunter - Thanks for these thoughts. Your comments actually make me more interested in this car. The flat bottom just looks so damn cool and is a really distinct look for a street car that Audi seems to have perfected....sans the heating unit of course.

On the heating functionality, do you have to flip a switch / button yourself or is it the kind of thing that comes on automatically below a certain temp setting that the user can specify or some other method?
Old 12-08-2016, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SilverTT2000
On the heating functionality, do you have to flip a switch / button yourself or is it the kind of thing that comes on automatically below a certain temp setting that the user can specify or some other method?
There's a button on the wheel to turn it on/off (it replaces the multi-function button on the right side). The thermostat function, once on, is automatic. In other words, it works harder when the cabin is cold and hardly at all when warm.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
I currently have a loaner Q5 (S-Line package). The flat-bottomed wheel (which is half-perforated) is definitely thicker and more nicely-shaped than my heated wheel. I still can't understand why Audi can't add heat to these wheels - they are really nice.

This is the same thing as the "Comfort seating package" w/the perforated diamond stitching... They can a do have a flat bottom steering wheel with the "Cold Weather Package" (Heated steering wheel).

...It is only available in the S8. ;-) so simply upgrade to the S8! Haha. ;-)
Old 12-08-2016, 07:23 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeS6
This is the same thing as the "Comfort seating package" w/the perforated diamond stitching... They can a do have a flat bottom steering wheel with the "Cold Weather Package" (Heated steering wheel).

...It is only available in the S8. ;-) so simply upgrade to the S8! Haha. ;-)
The US S8 doesn't come with a flat bottom steering wheel at all...

Quick Reply: S6 Steering Wheel