S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Serial SAME airshock failures?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serial SAME airshock failures?!?

Anyone had issues with back to back airshock failures? I had suspension issues LAST March which was traced by VCSD as well as the dealership to the FRONT passenger airshock which was replaced at a cost of about $1200. Guess what, air suspension failure again today, VCSD scan, RIGHT FRONT!

Cheap aftermarket part? Faulty diagnosis and actually a wiring/loom/connector issue?

Old 03-15-2019, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cschmelz
Anyone had issues with back to back airshock failures? I had suspension issues LAST March which was traced by VCSD as well as the dealership to the FRONT passenger airshock which was replaced at a cost of about $1200. Guess what, air suspension failure again today, VCSD scan, RIGHT FRONT!

Cheap aftermarket part? Faulty diagnosis and actually a wiring/loom/connector issue?
Nope, repeat failure of SAME air shock. Replacement $1,100 and being installed today..... Guess they aren't making them like they did in 2013?!?

Old 03-15-2019, 08:56 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Nope, repeat failure of SAME air shock. Replacement $1,100 and being installed today..... Guess they aren't making them like they did in 2013?!?
That's a shame. Unfortunately it happens sometimes. You are just the unlucky one.
I remember a couple decades ago I bought a brand new pair of speakers from a high end place and when I got them home one of the speakers was blown. I remember being very upset since they said they would only repair (by replacing the blown driver), not replace the whole unit. After talking to the person who would actually do the repair he assured me sometimes it happens even on brand new things, but after he repairs it it will be good as new. Ive had those speakers for over 20 years.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gk1
That's a shame. Unfortunately it happens sometimes. You are just the unlucky one.
I remember a couple decades ago I bought a brand new pair of speakers from a high end place and when I got them home one of the speakers was blown. I remember being very upset since they said they would only repair (by replacing the blown driver), not replace the whole unit. After talking to the person who would actually do the repair he assured me sometimes it happens even on brand new things, but after he repairs it it will be good as new. Ive had those speakers for over 20 years.
Difference is, company paid for your early mortality in your speaker....I get the luxury of paying for Audi's or Audi's suppliers failure on the air strut to the tune of $1,200!

Old 03-15-2019, 09:36 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Difference is, company paid for your early mortality in your speaker....I get the luxury of paying for Audi's or Audi's suppliers failure on the air strut to the tune of $1,200!
Wait, they are making you pay for the second replacement!!!??? It isn't covered under repair warranty?
Old 03-17-2019, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gk1
Wait, they are making you pay for the second replacement!!!??? It isn't covered under repair warranty?
YUP!

Though I don't have the car back yet, so it open to some discussion...
Old 03-19-2019, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So they did the right thing and checked and rechecked connectors and wiring and all functioned 100%. Really does appear to be the air strut.

Which begs the question: Same strut, 11 months apart then REPLACEMENT is dead on arrival. QA much?
Old 03-19-2019, 08:02 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

So they did the right thing and checked and rechecked connectors and wiring and all functioned 100%. Really does appear to be the air strut.

Which begs the question: Same strut, 11 months apart then REPLACEMENT is dead on arrival. QA much?
I'm still shocked (no pun intended) beyond belief that the original repair didn't come with a 12 month repair warranty. That is pretty basic.
If anything ask for goodwill...maybe they will meet you halfway.

Last edited by gk1; 03-19-2019 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So had mentioned last repair was 11 months ago to service writer, think initially on intake his coffee hadn't kicked in yet becuase on pickup they told me "Extended warranty picked up $1200, you owe $635" and when I said it was odd that Audi didn't warranty their work, he called other dealdership and I walked out for zero dollars...Whew...
Old 03-21-2019, 06:58 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

So had mentioned last repair was 11 months ago to service writer, think initially on intake his coffee hadn't kicked in yet becuase on pickup they told me "Extended warranty picked up $1200, you owe $635" and when I said it was odd that Audi didn't warranty their work, he called other dealdership and I walked out for zero dollars...Whew...
Excellent! Glad to hear it. Chalk that failed one up to infant mortality. Here's to hoping you get a good long service life out of the new one. 🍻 🍸

Quick Reply: Serial SAME airshock failures?!?