S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Squeaking Steering column

Old 06-21-2016, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking Steering column

My S6 is 2.5 months old and as the weather as gotten warmer here in the NE, I have noticed a pesky/annoying load squeaking in my steering column as I turn the wheel (in either direction). So, I took it in for service.
The car has been there for 2 days now and they have reproduced the problem, but can't seem to stop it. The Audi dealer shop foreman called me to discuss that they are in contact with AoA for direction on how to fix it and I shouldn't expect the car back until weeks end. :-(

Has anyone else had this problem with the steering column squeaking?
Old 06-21-2016, 06:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had an issue where my front left tire was squeaking. They just had to lube the intermediate shaft
Old 06-21-2016, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't know what they did, but there was a TSB to fix this issue on mine. The squeak hasn't come back since it was done about 8 months ago.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by RobC
Don't know what they did, but there was a TSB to fix this issue on mine. The squeak hasn't come back since it was done about 8 months ago.
So you happen to have that TSB? I have the rubbing sound and am bringing my A6 in for service this Thursday.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had this too (in my first year of ownership). The steering wheel, IIRC, was making contact with the plastic in the column. They did something to fix it, screwed up re-installing the wheel and had to order a new one. Hasn't made a peep since.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had the same issue. They had to replace the intermediate shaft bearing for me under warranty. Once that was serviced, never had the issue again.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Well, a quick Google search revealed this:

https://www.cars.com/articles/2009-2...1420682548245/

TSB 481566
Old 07-08-2016, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm finally picking my car up today. It was in service for 3 weeks awaiting on a entirely new steering column from Germany.
Let's hope its fixed. I am nervous that they had to take the whole dash and steering system apart in my 3 month old car.

Originally Posted by gee2dasahn
I had the same issue. They had to replace the intermediate shaft bearing for me under warranty. Once that was serviced, never had the issue again.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ExSkyPup24
My S6 is 2.5 months old and as the weather as gotten warmer here in the NE, I have noticed a pesky/annoying load squeaking in my steering column as I turn the wheel (in either direction). So, I took it in for service.
The car has been there for 2 days now and they have reproduced the problem, but can't seem to stop it. The Audi dealer shop foreman called me to discuss that they are in contact with AoA for direction on how to fix it and I shouldn't expect the car back until weeks end. :-(

Has anyone else had this problem with the steering column squeaking?
I had this problem. Its hard to describe what the noise was on the internet. Do you notice it when you are parked and you are slowly backing up and turning the wheel? If so thats what mine was and I was going to have them look at it at my 5k service but one day about a month ago it was just gone and hasn't returned. It was super annoying though and did bother me. Sorry I know this doesn't help you but.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I had the senior tech take a look at my "rubbing", "squeaking" steering wheel and told me this: there is a plastic(?) bushing attached to the shaft that dries out and lightly binds over time and causing the sound. It can be lubricated but the noise returns eventually. He told me the fix is to replace it but until it's redesigned, the noise will return when the bushing dries out. Simple fix but will last only a few years or so. He said replacing the steering rack or the shaft were overkill (they tried a few of those) but again, the included new bushing will also eventually dry out. So, I have the new bushing and no rubbing noises. For now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Squeaking Steering column