S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Throttle Lag and 2 footed driving

Old 04-15-2017, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Lag and 2 footed driving

Hi. I just purchased my first Audi, a new 2017 S6. I really enjoy the car, but two things bother me. One is a serious delay in throttle response and the other is the fact the engine seems to seriously back off if you even touch the brake. I'm a two footed driver, using one foot for the brake and the other for the throttle. Several times I've pulled into traffic only to have the car back off and almost cause a crash, just by barely touching the brake pedal. I know the APR upgrade to the ECU is advertised as enabling two footed driving, and is also reputed to significantly improve throttle response. However I don't want to void my warranty so I am considering the RaceChip upgrade which can be removed prior to servicing. Does it too enable two footed driving and improve throttle response?
Old 04-15-2017, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Unfortunately, most modern cars disable the throttle when the brake pedal is pressed. You can thank the nitwits who can't tell one pedal from the other but still complained when their car "ran away from them", into a garage wall or family member.

As for the throttle delay, it's a known issue. What year is your car? The early ones were terrible in this respect and later models seem better. Earlier cars can be updated by the dealer to mitigate the issue, but it's an uphill battle to demonstrate the issue to a service tech. My 2013 is significantly better now than it once was, but not perfect. Putting it in Sport Mode when you need to make a hole in traffic does help.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree that the later firmware versions have reduced the throttle lag after brake application, but it's still there. It's really too bad that aftermarket tunes can't totally remove this behavior.

In situations where I anticipate getting back on the throttle after slowing down, I make an effort to minimize using the brakes and rely on downshifting early to slow me down so that I don't have to use the brake. This mostly alleviates the throttle lag. It's not ideal but seems to work...
Old 04-15-2017, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. My car is a 2017 model with less than 2000 miles on it. That's why I'm looking for something that would not void my warranty. Guess I'll just need to adapt my driving style.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by RobC
I agree that the later firmware versions have reduced the throttle lag after brake application, but it's still there. It's really too bad that aftermarket tunes can't totally remove this behavior.

In situations where I anticipate getting back on the throttle after slowing down, I make an effort to minimize using the brakes and rely on downshifting early to slow me down so that I don't have to use the brake. This mostly alleviates the throttle lag. It's not ideal but seems to work...
Pull the shifter back into S mode before accellerating and before going into a right turn corner. It is more responsive at higher RPM. If this car had the ZF HP transmission like the RS7, it would be less of a problem, since the torque converter helps with the low RPM lag.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 100 Likes on 76 Posts

I hate the throttle lag on my 2016, too. I feel like its probably the twin turbos winding up...as when you press the gas, it feels like it (silently) winds up and ten delivers the power. Annoying for a 90k car. I have found as well that if I leave it in dynamic or S mode...it is diminished. To my logic - when you leave it in S - the ECU tells the turbos to no back off or the cylinder management changes.

So when i want the quick power - S it is.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by parkstr8
I hate the throttle lag on my 2016, too. I feel like its probably the twin turbos winding up...as when you press the gas, it feels like it (silently) winds up and ten delivers the power. Annoying for a 90k car. I have found as well that if I leave it in dynamic or S mode...it is diminished. To my logic - when you leave it in S - the ECU tells the turbos to no back off or the cylinder management changes.

So when i want the quick power - S it is.
It's not turbo lag because stomping on the gas from a standstill results in very quick throttle response and power (yeah there is "some" lag compared to NA). The very noticeable lag results when you get on the throttle immediately after brake application. It's been opined that this programming was intentional to prevent accidental throttle application (ie. Audi & Toyota unintended acceleration) or is a result of the DSG being in the wrong gear (I don't buy this one as it happens in manual mode too).