S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Newbie APR question

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie APR question

Hi S6 people,

This might be a dumb question; I apologize if so.

I'm looking at buying a 2014 Audi S6 that has an APR Stage 1 badge on it, but I'm not sure whether the previous owner paid for the APR ECU flash, or if they just paid for the badge. The S6 is being sold by a dealer and they don't know one way or the other. In fact, nobody at the dealership even knows what APR is. Is there any easy way to determine whether the ECU has actually been upgraded without putting it on a dyno or test-driving another S6 that I know is stock and comparing the performance?

Thanks in advance for any replies!
Old 03-06-2018, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Apr

APR will have the vehicle vin in their database if it has been flashed
Old 03-06-2018, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Excellent. I'll contact APR and ask them. Thanks!
Old 03-07-2018, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with the car on but engine not running push and hold the cruise control button. If it starts flashing its tuned. Let go of the button when it blinks once slowly and it's in stock mode. If you keep holding the cruse button down it should start to blink twice with a pause. If you let it gone at this moment it will be in tuned mode.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by itdoesitallroad
with the car on but engine not running push and hold the cruise control button. If it starts flashing its tuned. Let go of the button when it blinks once slowly and it's in stock mode. If you keep holding the cruse button down it should start to blink twice with a pause. If you let it gone at this moment it will be in tuned mode.
Huh, that's good to know. I'd assumed the tune would be an "always-on" type of deal. Thanks for the info!

At any rate, APR already got back to me and they don't have the VIN in their database, so it looks like the previous owner was a poseur who just paid for the badge, not the tune. To be honest, I'm actually a little relieved about this - I'm more comfortable buying a car that hasn't been upgraded, and from the test drive it felt very fast, obviously, but maybe not "535hp fast". I'm buying the car this weekend and the first thing I'll do is get that APR badge removed.

Thanks for the responses, guys.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or get the tune. I've been tuned for 2 years/22,000 miles and two track days. I love it and no issues.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Not all APRs offer you the option flashes offer you the option. My 2014 A6 can not be switched between stock and "enhanced" , but my 2010 A6 did. I asked APR about it and they said it was not an option for my year.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:01 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by amikep1@verizon.net
Not all APRs offer you the option flashes offer you the option. My 2014 A6 can not be switched between stock and "enhanced" , but my 2010 A6 did. I asked APR about it and they said it was not an option for my year.
True but OP is asking about an S6 which AFAIK always has free fully loaded EMCS switching from APR.
From APR website....
"- Add APR EMCS Program Switching (Fully Loaded)NoneNo Additional Charge"
Old 03-11-2018, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you have any warranty left, it'd be way better if it wasn't tuned, meaning you still have your warranty intact. Any tune automatically voids your powertrain warranty, and some Audi dealers won't even touch anything else due to the 'TD1' flag. If car was tuned and never serviced since then, and you make a claim unrelated to the powertrain, maybe it woudln't come up (not sure). But any powertrain claim would for sure get you flagged. Once warranty is over, then it's less of a risk. Good luck.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the responses, guys. I bought the S6, and unfortunately it is out of warranty. It's still below the mileage limit but past the 3-year mark. As I mentioned, APR doesn't have my VIN on file so I'm guessing it's just the stock tune, but once I get home I'm still going to try the cruise control button configuration thing to make sure. I just want to make sure, since I suppose it's possible the APR VIN registry thing doesn't apply to Canadian models or something.

Even if it's "only" stock, holy cow do I love this car.

I can't even imagine needing that extra 100hp, but since it does already have the APR Stage 1 badge on the trunk....