S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Turbo Failure at 99k Miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Failure at 99k Miles

Folks I don't know if anyone has experienced this or plans on keeping their S6 as long as I have but my 2013 S6 at just under 99k miles apparently has a turbo failure. I've been quoted $10k for this repair. $6K+ for parts and $3k+ in labor. All of this now 4 days before I was due to pick up my new SQ5. I don't see anything out there on the web about anyone having a similar failure. Now I'm skeptical about the diagnosis, but if accurate shocked that an S series car is having this failure this early. I've done all my service at Audi as scheduled. I drive the majority of my miles not he highway back and forth to work so not a lot of stop and go miles. The only thing I've read out there on VW's is that often mechanics look to replace turbo's vs really finding the problem which is often elsewhere but takes much more diagnosis. This experience is now giving me pause about another Audi. All benz E class and C class before my S6 and never had a repair on them, let alone something of this magnitude. Feel like the 70's when my Dad had to put money in his Ford's every year at inspection like clockwork.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Turbo Failure

Originally Posted by Wolfepack88
Folks I don't know if anyone has experienced this or plans on keeping their S6 as long as I have but my 2013 S6 at just under 99k miles apparently has a turbo failure. I've been quoted $10k for this repair. $6K+ for parts and $3k+ in labor. All of this now 4 days before I was due to pick up my new SQ5. I don't see anything out there on the web about anyone having a similar failure. Now I'm skeptical about the diagnosis, but if accurate shocked that an S series car is having this failure this early. I've done all my service at Audi as scheduled. I drive the majority of my miles not he highway back and forth to work so not a lot of stop and go miles. The only thing I've read out there on VW's is that often mechanics look to replace turbo's vs really finding the problem which is often elsewhere but takes much more diagnosis. This experience is now giving me pause about another Audi. All benz E class and C class before my S6 and never had a repair on them, let alone something of this magnitude. Feel like the 70's when my Dad had to put money in his Ford's every year at inspection like clockwork.
I have had many Audis, but in recent years, I have only leased them. I learned my lesson with an '08 S4 Avant. The engine was wonderful, but after about 60,000 miles problems kept coming up and no fixes were cheap. While I have been a longterm Audi fan, I will not own one past warranty.
An example: a headlight bulb burned out. $400 at an independent. A cold start mechanism was malfunctioning, $800. I could go on and on. These cars are an extravagance, and you just can't leave yourself vulnerable to Audi's history.
I think it's the same with any of the German makes. Lease the car with the maintenance problem and call it a day. If you think the lease payments are too high, look for another car. These cars are not Hondas!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by dpcompt; 01-20-2018 at 07:31 PM. Reason: misspell
Old 01-20-2018, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spend $5k for a pair of new, OEM RS7 turbos, and install them yourself. Another $2k for APRs tune file, and you’ll be enjoying way more power for less money. Hell, you may even look on your turbo failure as serendipitous.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well you got twice the life (miles) that I did. Just found out I blew the turbos at 49k.

I was also very close to trading it for an SQ5. Got about the same estimate from the dealer...

First major repair across several German brands (BMW, Audi, Porsche). Disappointing to say the least.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, at basically 100K, your turbos did GREAT. Plus, keep in mind you bought a FIRST YEAR model, which you should NEVER do, if you care about reliability. And to make matters worse, it was the first year for the V8TT engine AND inverted heads, so a lot of potential issues. By now, such engines are pretty much tried and true, so even on a first year (like the SQ5 engine), there's a lot less chances for anything going wrong. Having said that, for what I've read, if turbos get to 100K miles even now, consider yourself lucky.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I also had My turbos fail

But mine actually blew up. The shaft on the passenger side turbo snapped in half and threw impeller peices everywhere including into the other turbo destroying it got RS7 turbos from Germany for 3600, replaced the intercooler and cleaned all the metal peices put of the intake side. Got the APR stage 3 tune and love it.