S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Coolant loss

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 04:35 PM
RFS
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant loss

Do any of you have a radiator anti-freeze level sitting at the 'min' level? I do. And when I add about 2/3 of a cup of antifreeze/distilled water to bring it midway toward 'max', after about 1000 miles it's back down to 'min'. The dealer pressurized it and found no problems. Just wondering if my '13 S6 is normal or not.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've added about a litre of coolant over 7k miles. Eventually the dealer did a TSB and it stopped using coolant.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by RFS
Just wondering if my '13 S6 is normal or not.
It doesn't sound normal to me. The coolant has to be going somewhere. First item to check is the coolant reservoir cap. A bad seal will cause a leak. Second is a visual check of all the hoses. Look for stains. It could be something simple like a loose clamp.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tenspeed
It doesn't sound normal to me. The coolant has to be going somewhere.
Ditto. A properly-functioning cooling system/engine will use absolutely no coolant. Insist that they figure out the root cause.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Ditto. A properly-functioning cooling system/engine will use absolutely no coolant. Insist that they figure out the root cause.
Ditto to the google power. Document it with the dealer IMMEDIATELY by a specific service complaint for it (if not already done). I topped off my '00 and casually mentioned it once and the dealer topped it off the second time before I got serious about it. That cost me in the end as my buyback was calculated to first dealer-documented mileage not first my-documented mileage. As a percentage of my out-of-pocket that was actually quite substantial (though the overall buyback was still reasonable).

I have desperately been hoping that Audi was past all this, but in absolute honesty it's a large part of why I flat out refused to buy a '13 S6. No more first model year cars for me!!!!
Old 02-03-2014, 06:10 AM
RFS
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
Ditto to the google power. Document it with the dealer IMMEDIATELY by a specific service complaint for it (if not already done). I topped off my '00 and casually mentioned it once and the dealer topped it off the second time before I got serious about it. That cost me in the end as my buyback was calculated to first dealer-documented mileage not first my-documented mileage. As a percentage of my out-of-pocket that was actually quite substantial (though the overall buyback was still reasonable).

I have desperately been hoping that Audi was past all this, but in absolute honesty it's a large part of why I flat out refused to buy a '13 S6. No more first model year cars for me!!!!
I forgot to mention that after the pressure checked out ok, they did replace the reservoir. I'm not showing any visual signs of seepage. The dealers not very close, so in April when I get my "annual service" I'll have them take care of it.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

can't emphasize enough the need to document this with your dealer each and every time you notice it low. Even if they can't find anything, bring it in and have it documented that you brought it in with a complaint of coolant loss. Had the same issue with my S4. Coolant would be at minimum or below with no signs of leaking anywhere. Multiple trips to dealership with no explanation. Eventually my thermostat crapped out on me about 5k or so outside of the b2b warranty and because I walked in with multiple dealer invoices showing my numerous complaints about mysterious coolant loss and this was a part directly attached to that system, they took care of it. Otherwise, I was looking at a $3k or so repair.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:47 PM
RFS
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Brooklyn
can't emphasize enough the need to document this with your dealer each and every time you notice it low. Even if they can't find anything, bring it in and have it documented that you brought it in with a complaint of coolant loss. Had the same issue with my S4. Coolant would be at minimum or below with no signs of leaking anywhere. Multiple trips to dealership with no explanation. Eventually my thermostat crapped out on me about 5k or so outside of the b2b warranty and because I walked in with multiple dealer invoices showing my numerous complaints about mysterious coolant loss and this was a part directly attached to that system, they took care of it. Otherwise, I was looking at a $3k or so repair.
Good point. When they replaced the reservoir, they did not document it. I didn't bring it up, because they've been excellent in responding to, AND solving any and all my concerns...and I had no reason to expect they hadn't solved the loss of coolant problem. Neither did they. This WILL be fixed in April (my 1 yr svce appt'm't). Thx.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by RFS
This WILL be fixed in April (my 1 yr svce appt'm't). Thx.
Just so you know, my dealer and Audi Master Tech were *AWESOME* but they had the car in MANY times and it kept leaking. Tech would find and fix one place, then coolant would be low in a few weeks and he'd find and fix another place. By the end he swore he had to have it fixed because there flat weren't ANY more coolant lines or fittings that he hadn't touched - but at that point it was take a buyback or hope he was right, and I took the buyback.

I'm being brutally honest with you - if you don't document everything IN AUDI'S SYSTEM you can get screwed. I hope you don't and I hope your tech finds and fixes your leak easily but I'm telling you that there is NO way to guarantee it'll happen at your next service visit or your next 6 service visits. I've been there and done that! My guy was really good but it's not a binary function - it's plumbing. Clean up the engine, drive it for a few weeks and look for the tracks, try fixing that area, clean the engine, drive it for a few weeks, look for tracks, repeat ad nauseam.

I can tell you don't want to hear it, so I'll shut up, but this is the voice of PAINFUL experience speaking. Sincere best of luck, and fingers crossed that I'm wrong.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:19 PM
RFS
AudiWorld Member

Just so you know, my dealer and Audi Master Tech were *AWESOME* but they had the car in MANY times and it kept leaking. Tech would find and fix one place, then coolant would be low in a few weeks and he'd find and fix another place. By the end he swore he had to have it fixed because there flat weren't ANY more coolant lines or fittings that he hadn't touched - but at that point it was take a buyback or hope he was right, and I took the buyback.

I'm being brutally honest with you - if you don't document everything IN AUDI'S SYSTEM you can get screwed. I hope you don't and I hope your tech finds and fixes your leak easily but I'm telling you that there is NO way to guarantee it'll happen at your next service visit or your next 6 service visits. I've been there and done that! My guy was really good but it's not a binary function - it's plumbing. Clean up the engine, drive it for a few weeks and look for the tracks, try fixing that area, clean the engine, drive it for a few weeks, look for tracks, repeat ad nauseam.

I can tell you don't want to hear it, so I'll shut up, but this is the voice of PAINFUL experience speaking. Sincere best of luck, and fingers crossed that I'm wrong.
Why wouldn't I want to hear it? If I didn't want to hear it, I wouldn't have made this post. Thx to ALL of you.