S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Why can't I start my car with my phone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why can't I start my car with my phone?

Seriously? Why isn't this feature on our cars? It's relatively old technology and it is very useful.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Probably because, in order of importance:
  1. Manufacturers don't want to deal with the liability (theft, accidental start in the garage suffocating the occupants, etc.)
  2. Cold idling is about the worst thing you can do to your engine. Fuel gets past the rings and washes lubricant off the cylinder walls and permanently dilutes the oil. Neither is good in terms of wear.
  3. Idling is wasteful (zero mpg) and polluting

The second item is the primary reason I never let my car idle to warm up. If it's winter, I put on a pair of gloves and a jacket, then ignite the seat and steering wheel heaters (if present). In summer, I crack the sunroof and the windows until the A/C starts blowing cold. Then I drive, gently, until all the fluids and mechanical bits are at operating temperature.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by edporsche
Seriously? Why isn't this feature on our cars? It's relatively old technology and it is very useful.
Why not head over to Chevy, I believe they might offer something like that if you really want it.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife has a tahoe with remote start. It is a nice feature. Not sure the sarcasm/snobbery is necessary.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by mirin S6
My wife has a tahoe with remote start. It is a nice feature. Not sure the sarcasm/snobbery is necessary.
Because this is the same stuff you hear in the same sentence as "the cupholders suck". These cars arent built around gimmicks, they are built to be driven at 130mph+ on the autobahn. Gimmicks are for American cars. Really. Not snobbery, just reality.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by edporsche
It's not something you tend to see OEM in German cars, much more common in American and Japanese. Seem to recall reading that it had something to do with German law. We have other cars that have it; it's not something I ever use or miss in the S6.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HyperS4
Because this is the same stuff you hear in the same sentence as "the cupholders suck". These cars arent built around gimmicks, they are built to be driven at 130mph+ on the autobahn. Gimmicks are for American cars. Really. Not snobbery, just reality.
Audi offers plenty of gimmicks. I'd rank active lane assist above remote start, on the gimmick scale.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 95 Likes on 44 Posts

As pointed out by Deerhunter, I think the primary reason it's not a common OEM feature lies with the car manufacturers' (and most everyone else's) emphasis these days on being "Green". Remote start means more pollution and wasted fuel. At the same time, 3rd party remote start solutions are available for those who want it, i.e. Viper, DEI, etc. (it's possible to add to our cars but not easy or inexpensive to install).

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...rk-on-our-cars
Old 06-07-2013, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have no reason to remotely start my car... ever.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't care about this feature. What's pathetic is my wife's Escalade doesn't even have keyless. You can't get it on any level Escalade. $75K SUV and she has to pull out the keys. That's a fricking joke.

Quick Reply: Why can't I start my car with my phone?