S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Windshield Crack & Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 03:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Crack & Replacement

So, got the first crack on the windshield today. Normal highway driving... nothing special. Guess that was just my luck today or lack of...

Getting the OEM windshield to replace it through a third party since the dealership doesn't do it themselves.

I know the lane departure camera sits right behind the windshield. Am I looking at a possible re-calibration scenario by replacing the windshield by default? Or drive for few days (after the new windshield is installed) & see whether there is an issue before making a decision here?

Anyone had to re-calibrate their lane departure cameras? I was curious on pricing & I posed a question to the dealer. According to them it is a 5 hour job that might cost around $800 - for recalibration that is.. Wanted to check & see whether anyone had any experience going through this.

Appreciate your time.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had to replace my windshield as well. You are correct that the ENTIRE lane departure system needs to be recalibrated. This includes an alignment. It's about $1300 and insurance covered it. I had to pay the bill and submit for reimbursement.

Originally Posted by c7s62016
So, got the first crack on the windshield today. Normal highway driving... nothing special. Guess that was just my luck today or lack of...

Getting the OEM windshield to replace it through a third party since the dealership doesn't do it themselves.

I know the lane departure camera sits right behind the windshield. Am I looking at a possible re-calibration scenario by replacing the windshield by default? Or drive for few days (after the new windshield is installed) & see whether there is an issue before making a decision here?

Anyone had to re-calibrate their lane departure cameras? I was curious on pricing & I posed a question to the dealer. According to them it is a 5 hour job that might cost around $800 - for recalibration that is.. Wanted to check & see whether anyone had any experience going through this.

Appreciate your time.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

I have the camera in my A6 and since it's fixed and mounted in the plastic housing that is removed for the windshiled replacement, it did not require an alignment. The housing pops off, back on in only one way and didn't affect the camera positioning. Perhaps the A7 is diifferent.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by c7s62016

Appreciate your time.
Could you imagine Audi designing something that took 5 hours on each car to do, in the factory. My guess is it takes less than 10 minutes, but I understand the dealer has to pay a fortune for the alignment screen, that the car has to face to be aligned.

Sadly my windshield is cracked, as well. I have matrix headlights, head up display and lane assist, which all add to the complexity of the replacement.

Last edited by MadAboutCars; 06-25-2016 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I was visiting my Audi dealer a few months ago, and the person in line ahead of me had recently had their windshield replaced by a 3rd party glass company and they messed up the cameras.

The Audi service advisor was on the phone with the insurance company explaining to them how much technology was involved and why they had to recalibrate after the windshield was replaced.

It might be possible to change a windshield without harming the calibrations, but I'm guessing it must be done in a very cautious manner? Bottom line, if I ever need a windshield replaced I'm going to have it done at the dealership so there is someone present who can guide the installer.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i will long for the good old days when Safelight could come to my driveway and replace my A6 windshield in 20 minutes at no out of pocket cost to me.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 75 Fox
i will long for the good old days when Safelight could come to my driveway and replace my A6 windshield in 20 minutes at no out of pocket cost to me.
Actually, that's almost exactly how it worked for me and my A6 last winter. My insurance company arranged for an OEM windshield through their contracted glass company (who purchased it from an Audi dealer) and they came out and installed it in my driveway. My glass coverage paid 100% with no deductible. The installer had done many Audis for dealers and after 45 minutes, all went well. The ACC camera housing popped right off and went back on the same way with no calibration issues then or since. I checked and Audi dealers in my area don't actually do installs - they contract with auto glass shops for windshield replacements.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

In the VA area, the dealers DO NOT replace the windshield. The only choice is to go through an 3rd party. Since I knew about the sensor issues, I decided to take it to the dealer have the 3rd party do the work on dealer's premises. The cost of OEM windshield was fully covered by my insurance. It was around $1200.

It turned out to be a good call. When I went in to pick up the car & started the car, all kinds of warning appeared on the dashboard. This includes, automatic headlights, rain sensors/wipers etc...

It was getting late & I decided to get a loaner & leave the car with the dealer to get the errors worked out. The next day they calibrated the required sensors and sent me the bill noting that the cost was around $140. I called the 3rd party & let them know what had occurred since their tech left the dealership. The 3rd party agreed to pick up the repair cost.

I am happy to answer any specific questions you may have. Lane assist was not one of the affected sensors.

I also miss the good ole' days of a simple windshield replacement. This was way too much work.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:38 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

$140 doesn't sound like a calibration. Just seems like they cleared the fault codes which will be generated when the rain sensor/ lane departure camera is disconnected.

Quick Reply: Windshield Crack & Replacement