S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Windshield Crack & Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 05:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gk1
$140 doesn't sound like a calibration. Just seems like they cleared the fault codes which will be generated when the rain sensor/ lane departure camera is disconnected.
It may be the case. Per the work order, they calibrated the adaptive headlight system. That is verbatim.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:21 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by c7s62016
It may be the case. Per the work order, they calibrated the adaptive headlight system. That is verbatim.
That is even more strange. Adaptive headlights shouldn't need any recalibration after windshield replacement.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do insurance companies ding you for windshield replacement like they would for an accident? I've heard yes and no. I had a crack repaired using Allstate package, no cost but there is still a small round hole, like a very small chip, unfortunately right in middle of screen on driver's side. Also wondering if structural integrity is an issue now after the repair.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by gtsl55
Do insurance companies ding you for windshield replacement like they would for an accident? I've heard yes and no. I had a crack repaired using Allstate package, no cost but there is still a small round hole, like a very small chip, unfortunately right in middle of screen on driver's side. Also wondering if structural integrity is an issue now after the repair.
It depends on your policy. If you have glass coverage, it often waives your deductible. Some insurance companies have specific requirements for replacement, i.e. size of the chip and its location. Cracks are usually not an issue for coverage.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Might also depend on the state.

For example, in South Carolina the law requires insurance companies to cover ALL glass on cars with $0 deductible. This is to ensure nobody decides not to repair a window due to cost, thereby endangering others on the road.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just did mine through Safelight and Geico. The windshield replacement was actually really good. The VIN looked a little mangled...but OEM Audi glass was used and the overall install looked great. The car is at the dealer now for calibration. I didn't have any warning lights come on but when the tech tried to engage the ACC...it said unavailable. He thinks the Safelight guy forgot to plug it in. I will let you guys know the results of this in the next couple days.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Windshield Replacement on A8L 2013

Audi is full of crap when trying to get you to play these calibration fees. I had my tires replaced and they claimed I needed the guidance system re-calibrated for $800. I decline and the system works the way it has always worked. Then I got a crack in my windshield. Again, Audi quoted me $2K for replacement and then re-calibration of the guidance system. Again crap. Safelite did it no problem with no calibration needed. In fact, it if calibration was going to be needed Safelite had their own machine and only charged $300. So rather than paying $2K that Audi quoted, I paid $415 for the new windshield and not calibration. These dealers are ripping us off!
Old 08-25-2017, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bostoncrna
I had to replace my windshield as well. You are correct that the ENTIRE lane departure system needs to be recalibrated. This includes an alignment. It's about $1300 and insurance covered it. I had to pay the bill and submit for reimbursement.
I had a windshield replacement and did not get a realignment. My Lane departure warning is working just fine
Old 11-15-2017, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Actually, that's almost exactly how it worked for me and my A6 last winter. My insurance company arranged for an OEM windshield through their contracted glass company (who purchased it from an Audi dealer) and they came out and installed it in my driveway. My glass coverage paid 100% with no deductible. The installer had done many Audis for dealers and after 45 minutes, all went well. The ACC camera housing popped right off and went back on the same way with no calibration issues then or since. I checked and Audi dealers in my area don't actually do installs - they contract with auto glass shops for windshield replacements.
Hi SnagIt, I have the same vehicle and the same need with an 8" crack ... did you have to insist on OEM glass for your car with your insurance company or their preferred installer? I am getting a quote from the dealer too, but the dealer said when I asked, if the ACC camera, and lane departure electronics, needed to be recalibrated, "Yes they typically do".

But you indicated that the glass comes with a housing or something that the camera can only fit in one way correct? So as long as I get the OEM 4G0845099BNVB - w HUD, w Driver Assist, it should be a fairly straightforward replacement. Rain sensors aren't affected, and you haven't had issues or feature malfunctions since?
Old 11-16-2017, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by JRomulus
Hi SnagIt, I have the same vehicle and the same need with an 8" crack ... did you have to insist on OEM glass for your car with your insurance company or their preferred installer? I am getting a quote from the dealer too, but the dealer said when I asked, if the ACC camera, and lane departure electronics, needed to be recalibrated, "Yes they typically do".

But you indicated that the glass comes with a housing or something that the camera can only fit in one way correct? So as long as I get the OEM 4G0845099BNVB - w HUD, w Driver Assist, it should be a fairly straightforward replacement. Rain sensors aren't affected, and you haven't had issues or feature malfunctions since?
Yes, I had to insist on OEM glass but I don't have HUD. I believe only Audi can source the layered HUD version windshield. I can only speak to the standard glass as to calibration (not necessary). As to the rain sensor, the inexpensive, removable sensor pad must be replaced with the new windshield or the rain sensor will not work correctly. I've had no issues since the windshield replacement.