S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Winter Setup Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I hear the same thing from people using "all"-season tires: "Hell, they usually plough the roads here. It's all in how carefully I drive anyway. Winter tires are just a waste of money". My philosophy is to buy the best equipment possible for the worst possible conditions. Studded Hakka 7s in a narrower section width on 19s make me extremely happy when the going gets tough. If that means I have to take it relatively easy when it's merely cold and dry out, so be it. To each their own, YMMV, etc, etc.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone's interested I have a set of the USA rims 19" with 265 35 19 blizzak deals lm 25 with 75% tread

Last edited by saxon; 12-03-2016 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
I hear the same thing from people using "all"-season tires: "Hell, they usually plough the roads here. It's all in how carefully I drive anyway. Winter tires are just a waste of money". My philosophy is to buy the best equipment possible for the worst possible conditions. Studded Hakka 7s in a narrower section width on 19s make me extremely happy when the going gets tough. If that means I have to take it relatively easy when it's merely cold and dry out, so be it. To each their own, YMMV, etc, etc.

I agree, all-seasons will squeak you by, but if you actually bought an S6, your probably at least a tad bit of an enthusiast. All seasons are not going to cut it in the summer for most of us. And NO winter tires are not a waste of money, especially if you have summer tires on your S6. I however do think you should pick the best "overall" choice.

Yea, I personally never have been a "OMFG... I got to get my winter tires on, and they have to be able to plow through 2 feet of snow with zero issues." Ever see the " I got to go get bread and milk!" on you tube?

Even though I've driven in the winter with the stock OEM summer tires, the Summer OEM tires on the S6 really should be switched out to a winter tire.
I just don't think you need to bring a machine gun to a knife fight.

... Alas, you are correct though, to each his own.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Stock width will be just fine for winter tires. 10mm(1cm) isn't going to be a night and day difference despite what some people here think. I ran stock 265/35/20 winters on my previous S8 and it plowed through everything rural Ontario had to offer.

I currently have stock size Blizzaks on my S6 right now and expect it to be just fine
Old 12-04-2016, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm in the same boat with a 2017 S6 where I would like to put winter tires on the car. Would like to use the same rims if possible. Current OEM tires are are Pirelli 255/35/R20 summer. Was thinking about running a same size or very close in size winter tire setup. Pirelli Sottozero, Bridgestone Blizzak, Dunlop all come in the same size on tire rack. I would prefer to lean toward the performance side with the winter setup. Any input or insight into which brand is better and if running the same size is ok
Old 12-04-2016, 07:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just last week I made the decision to not buy winter tires... going to see how I fare with a set of all seasons from BF Goodrich. Just threw them on last week as my original Pirellis had @25k on them. I'm in Central Jersey and I always have my Escalade as a back up if the snow is real bad. Hopefully I won't be regretting it.

On a different note the bread/milk video is always funny. Vic the comedian in the video lives right in my neighborhood.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Michelin Alpin PA4 - good performance/winter compromise.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Darren Coogan
...Stock width will be just fine for winter tires....I currently have stock size Blizzaks on my S6 right now and expect it to be just fine
It IS "fine", but speaking from direct experience, going slightly narrower absolutely improves snow traction - that's why every tire manufacturer has recommended doing just that since time immemorial....

245s, 255s and 265s all fit well on the OEM rims, too...
Old 12-05-2016, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by dc1430
I'm in the same boat with a 2017 S6 where I would like to put winter tires on the car. Would like to use the same rims if possible. Current OEM tires are are Pirelli 255/35/R20 summer. Was thinking about running a same size or very close in size winter tire setup. Pirelli Sottozero, Bridgestone Blizzak, Dunlop all come in the same size on tire rack. I would prefer to lean toward the performance side with the winter setup. Any input or insight into which brand is better and if running the same size is ok
The same rolling diameter wheel/tire combo to that stock size in 19" is 255/40R19. I wanted to make sure my winter wheel setup was the same rolling diameter as my stock 20's.

That is the size I'm rolling with Pirelli Sottozero 3's on my replica wheels.

To the people out there talking about snow, and not needing a Winter tire performs better in cold temps as well. You really don't want to use a summer only tire below 45F.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe its not narrower, but higher that helps most.