S6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi S6 produced from 2019

2020 Audi S6 revealed

Old 04-10-2019, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2020 Audi S6 revealed

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/04/20...4hp-v6-diesel/

Looks pretty good, but predictable
Old 04-11-2019, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

https://www.quattrodaily.com/world-p...n-two-flavors/
Old 04-11-2019, 07:45 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Interesting....and the other shoe drops...TDI for ROW explains better why no V8. Too bad for US.
Even though the RS5 motor has more reported torque than the outgoing 4.0T they should have easily been able to push the 4.0T up to at least 500+ in non-RS guise. oh well
Old 04-11-2019, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

It does look quite good. Certainly no surprise on the gasoline engined version. The handling, ride and steering should be a big step up from the C7. Performance should be better - less weight over front axle, same power, more torque, but feel will be different given engine / transmission types.

But the wheels have fallen off in Europe. The diesel engine offers no performance advantage over the previous C7 A6 3.0 TDI bi-turbo (Competition edition), yet is substantially more expensive than that model. More expensive than the previous C7 S6 with the V8, which had significantly better performance. The 0-100km/h figure for the diesel S6 is 5.0 seconds, versus 5.1 seconds for the A6 55 with the 3.0TFSI engine. Ridiculous decision making.

And the SQ5, and impending S4 and S5, is using the same diesel engine as the S6, although not sure how the electric compressor works across the model range. It appears it is not just for applying boost below the turbocharger, but at any engine speed (for limited duration) so may have impressive throttle response. For a diesel. But the new diesel SQ5 is rated as faster than the new diesel S6. Insane decision making.

On the major German forums, this decision by Audi has been received with horror and disdain. But then BMW have already withdrawn the M550i xDrive from Europe - only the quadruple turbocharged M550d xDrive remains. Leaving Mercedes the only manufacturer with a gasoline engine in this class with the AMG E53. Both the diesel BMW and Mercedes have more performance, considerably more performance. Whilst VAG will want their customers to buy a Porsche Panamera 4S with the Audi 2.9L TT engine instead (Porsche are now not using any diesel engines), not too many in Europe are going to do that.

They are all struggling to meet the EU fleet average CO2 targets that start in 2020. Much tougher than CAFE in the US.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

At least they brought back real exhaust tips, albeit quad exhausts, vs hexagonals.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
It does look quite good. Certainly no surprise on the gasoline engined version. The handling, ride and steering should be a big step up from the C7. Performance should be better - less weight over front axle, same power, more torque, but feel will be different given engine / transmission types.

But the wheels have fallen off in Europe. The diesel engine offers no performance advantage over the previous C7 A6 3.0 TDI bi-turbo (Competition edition), yet is substantially more expensive than that model. More expensive than the previous C7 S6 with the V8, which had significantly better performance. The 0-100km/h figure for the diesel S6 is 5.0 seconds, versus 5.1 seconds for the A6 55 with the 3.0TFSI engine. Ridiculous decision making.

And the SQ5, and impending S4 and S5, is using the same diesel engine as the S6, although not sure how the electric compressor works across the model range. It appears it is not just for applying boost below the turbocharger, but at any engine speed (for limited duration) so may have impressive throttle response. For a diesel. But the new diesel SQ5 is rated as faster than the new diesel S6. Insane decision making.

On the major German forums, this decision by Audi has been received with horror and disdain. But then BMW have already withdrawn the M550i xDrive from Europe - only the quadruple turbocharged M550d xDrive remains. Leaving Mercedes the only manufacturer with a gasoline engine in this class with the AMG E53. Both the diesel BMW and Mercedes have more performance, considerably more performance. Whilst VAG will want their customers to buy a Porsche Panamera 4S with the Audi 2.9L TT engine instead (Porsche are now not using any diesel engines), not too many in Europe are going to do that.

They are all struggling to meet the EU fleet average CO2 targets that start in 2020. Much tougher than CAFE in the US.
I was taken aback reading the announcements today about the S6 and S7 going TDI in Europe. Even the USA gasoline version is baffling. Same engine as the RS5. So now S models share engines with RS models. Not sure what to make of that, but it confirms to me that the brand is kinda done for me for now. Seems like we are clearly witnessing the beginning of the end for ICE cars coming out of Germany. The decision to pick up a '19 C63S looks better every day as the last hurrah to a quickly ending era. Are you saying that the S4 and S5 once they go back on sale in Europe will be TDIs as well? Holy Moly! I'm warming up more and more to performance EVs, simply because the ICE cars are getting neutered badly. Rumor is the next generation C63 is gonna be a 4-cylinder hybrid powertrain. Could be interesting if it's high-revving like the new DTM 4-cylinder engine, but still. So many moving parts in these powertrains today. Waiting for somebody to come out with a 2+2 GT Coupe EV and I might seriously consider going EV in a few years.

Last edited by superswiss; 04-11-2019 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well be a M5 next for me, NOT a v6 fan at all....sad to see this https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-audi-s...-hp-1833978798
Old 04-12-2019, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
I was taken aback reading the announcements today about the S6 and S7 going TDI in Europe. Even the USA gasoline version is baffling. Same engine as the RS5. So now S models share engines with RS models. Not sure what to make of that, but it confirms to me that the brand is kinda done for me for now. Seems like we are clearly witnessing the beginning of the end for ICE cars coming out of Germany.
Possibly. Not sure if they’re be completely doing away with ICE cars (at least not for the foresee able future), but the trend is definitely more about fuel efficiency hence the smaller engines, turbochargers vs superchargers, and more e-trons variations coming.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

OK I read the article but still not clear if USA gets the S6 avant?
Old 04-12-2019, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I do not think we ever will, but always hope for it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2020 Audi S6 revealed