S7 Discussion forum for the Audi S7

Counting down the seconds on delivery...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Counting down the seconds on delivery...

Hey guys - I haven't posted yet, but I ordered a 2016 S7 back in July. I am pretty sure the boat hit the port in Davisville early yesterday morning. Any ideas on how quickly the key will be in my pocket? I'm getting anxious.

Anyway, I went through the paces on luxury performance sedans earlier this year and, to be honest, Audi was at the bottom of my list...I just didn't know that much about them when I started the process. Back in February, I considered a fully-loaded Infiniti Q50S hybrid, but despite the amenities, all of the reviews had one glaring conclusion...it just wasn't fun to drive. I checked it out at the Cleveland auto show and moved on. I eventually drafted a list that included the BMW 750Li, Lexus GS350, Mercedes E63AMG and a slew of Audis (S6, S8, RS7.) I even test-drove the Tesla Model S P85D, where they let me do the 0-60 launch in Insane Mode. I cut the list pretty quickly, based on features and reviews, until I ultimately got behind the wheel of the E63AMG, as well, and it rocked...but it proved to be too much car for someone who's going to have kids in there on occasion. I couldn't justify the $30K price overage when compared to the Audi, either. Loved the sports adaptive seating (and the throaty sound that you RS7 owners might recognize), though.

I visited Audi, hoping to test drive an S6 or an S8, but on the phone, they told me those things rarely stay on the lot long enough for that sort of experience. They're almost always ordered. They did have an S7 with the rear sport differential, however, and I had not really considered it as an option, due to the 4-seater configuration. I asked if the handling was similar to the S6 and they assured me it was. We went out to the lot and jumped into a 2016 Daytona Gray S7. I fell in love at first sight and the drive only further convinced me. Even though I originally planned to buy much later, I ordered the next day. I never thought I'd love the look of a hatchback so much.

The only lingering question for me was the color...I knew I wanted the black optics package, and I really wanted the 21" option (the rims were mesmerizing), but you can't find radials (again, Cleveland) with that size. I went with the 20" brushed titanium. The exterior choice was originally Sepang Blue, but I decided I didn't want to draw that much attention on the highway. Plus, they didn't have the exact color on any car in the lot, so I couldn't check it out up close. In reading some other posts on the site, I probably would have loved it, as well, but again, I plan to drive fast. Let the money go to Audi, not the great state of Ohio. I currently drive a Charger R/T in black, which blends in nicely at 80+ MPH, but I didn't want another black car. I ended up with the Daytona Gray Pearl...beautiful color, with great contrast against the black finish.

Anyway, I'm excited to join the club. I found an older post where a guy walked through identifying the ship from Ingolstadt, tracking it on marinetraffic.com, etc. I can't bring myself to call and pester anyone beyond my casual internet stalking, though.

Looking forward to becoming a more active member on the boards. I'd love tips/feedback/stories from 2016 S7 owners...advice on service, observations on the car, how you guys think it compares to the other rides you considered. Anything, really. This is my first "holy crap" car...and I plan on keeping it until it's legislated out of existence!
Old 10-16-2015, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats and good post. Enjoyed reading it. Just sold my Q7, still have the Q5, but my dream car one day once kids are older is an S7. Yours sounds perfect. Don't forget to post some pics when you take delivery!!!
Old 10-16-2015, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations! Good to know you picked the S7, after having evaluated even the Tesla P85D and Merc E63AMG, both of which are marvelous vehicles and super luxurious. But definitely value for your buck going with the S7, with it's perfect balance between performance, features, luxury, comfort and most of all, looks and price!. You won't regret it, as most of us on here will attest to.

Pictures please, once you've got the fobs in your pocket.
Old 10-25-2015, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

2016 S7 in Daytona Pearl with the 20" black optics package.

I love the rear lines on the car. You can't see the honeycomb insert above the diffuser, but the black finish on the exhaust is perfect.

The S7 badges are a nice touch on the door inserts. I opted for the premium textile mats, as well.

You can't see from the shadows, but I went with the carbon twill inlays. It's not the most popular choice, I understand, but I thought it gave the car more of an edge.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:37 PM
RAF_S7

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on the car.

Ive had my S7 for 3 weeks, and I still drive it with a huge grin on my face!

The only thing that I couldn't get was the back optics package, as its not an option here in the UK (OK on the RS7 though)

Are you going to put any custom touches to it (drivetrain or body?)
Old 10-26-2015, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by jkwelsh
Congrats on the car.

Ive had my S7 for 3 weeks, and I still drive it with a huge grin on my face!

The only thing that I couldn't get was the back optics package, as its not an option here in the UK (OK on the RS7 though)

Are you going to put any custom touches to it (drivetrain or body?)
You know, it's funny - I added an aftermarket JL sound system to my Charger (six speakers, amp and sub), but it was such a production that I swore I'd never make any changes like that to another new car. For one, the shop had a tight parking lot and I nicked a retaining wall backing out of my space, so I had to repair a nice gouge two weeks after buying the thing. They also made some strange splice in the cabling for the driver door speaker, so I had to bring the car back two or three times to get the connection fixed. Finally, something they did caused a total electrical failure (lost connection to the bus), which triggered all sorts of fun events, including defaulting the car to limp-in mode. Safe to say, I won't be letting anyone but Audi touch the S7.

The only other thing I considered adding to the Dodge was the Mopar-style racing stripe...the car is an R/T, not SRT, so I didn't feel too guilty about that. But the irony of car ownership is that once you're old enough to afford a high performance ride, you're too old to be putting racing stripes and flames on it.

The dealer asked if I wanted Quattro decals on the door...I asked if they were badges, which look cool to me, but since they were actual decals, I said forget it. Stickers on a nice car look like "Fallen Angel" tattoos on a princess.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Congratulations for ordering your new S7. You will love this car. I bought a Q50S hybrid when they first came out, felt light and not much fun to drive. Trading for my S7, ordered in Jan. and picked it up at my dealer in April. I'm still impressed driving it and still loving it. Getting 5000 service in a few weeks and then APR tune, can't wait. You made a good choice and I'm sure you will be happy driving that new S7.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Congrats! She's a real beauty.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Congratulations! She looks great!
Old 11-24-2015, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Update?

So let's hear an update now that you've had the car a few weeks. Are you loving it? I just ordered almost the identical car - same color, with black optics package and sports package. Now I'm stuck waiting until February/March.