S7 Discussion forum for the Audi S7

DIY S7 Battery Replacement

Old 09-26-2018, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default DIY S7 Battery Replacement

Just successfully replaced the original battery in my 2013 S7 (5 years and 88,000 miles later, not bad IMO). Process was simple as described in other posts. Replaced it with a Super Start Platinum Group Size 49 900CCA battery from Orielly's, $189. Basically just hooked up the jump terminals under the hood to my battery charger before proceeding to remove the battery in the trunk (which involves removing the air suspension canister first, then the battery bracket, and finally the battery). Just remember to cover the battery cables with rubber gloves to prevent short-circuiting the electronics before removing the old battery and replacing it with the new and remember to reconnect the breathing tube to the new battery. Easy job that only took 20min and no battery reset steps required!

Last edited by peytonel; 09-26-2018 at 11:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
09S5 (01-29-2021)
Old 12-03-2019, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default time tested

Just wondering how well your battery (and power management) is doing after a year or so since you replaced your battery. I am curious due to the concerns over not resetting the BEM system using a scanner device.

thanks,
TexasMyke (12-03-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RTulum
Just wondering how well your battery (and power management) is doing after a year or so since you replaced your battery. I am curious due to the concerns over not resetting the BEM system using a scanner device.

thanks,
Absolutely no issues since doing it!
09S5 (01-29-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI peytonel -- just curious, how's your battery as of now (Jan '21)? (since you didn't reset the BEM system) -- did you just hook up your battery charger to the underhood jump terminals -- did you set battery charger to "full charge" setting (if not to what setting?) -- everywhere else on the web seems to say you MUST reset your BEM system -- this is good to know for people who don't have the equipment to reset the cars "BEM system" -- if it works sounds good to me
Old 01-21-2021, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Rick McDowell
HI peytonel -- just curious, how's your battery as of now (Jan '21)? (since you didn't reset the BEM system) -- did you just hook up your battery charger to the underhood jump terminals -- did you set battery charger to "full charge" setting (if not to what setting?) -- everywhere else on the web seems to say you MUST reset your BEM system -- this is good to know for people who don't have the equipment to reset the cars "BEM system" -- if it works sounds good to me
Nearly 2.5 years later absolutely no issues (car still doesn't know the battery swapped happened). Simply set the charger to full charge (non-trickle), swapped it out, and that was it! Absolutely no way I would let a dealer do this and charge me hundreds. Just be extra careful and make sure you cover the battery terminal connectors with something non-conductive (one at a time) after you hook up the charger. Rubber gloves work great!
The following 2 users liked this post by peytonel:
09S5 (01-29-2021), DragonS6 (07-21-2023)
Old 01-30-2021, 10:11 PM
RAF_S7

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Not resetting the BEM doesn’t stop the battery functioning, as a battery.

What it does mean is that the battery is not being optimally charged, since these cars have an intelligent charging system.

The reason you got 5 years and 88k miles out of the original battery is because the BEM system monitored and charged the battery, based on the changing battery characteristics as it aged.

Without resetting the BEM when you installed the new battery, your unlikely to get 5 years and 88k miles of life out of the current battery

Old 01-31-2021, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jkwelsh
Not resetting the BEM doesn’t stop the battery functioning, as a battery.

What it does mean is that the battery is not being optimally charged, since these cars have an intelligent charging system.

The reason you got 5 years and 88k miles out of the original battery is because the BEM system monitored and charged the battery, based on the changing battery characteristics as it aged.

Without resetting the BEM when you installed the new battery, your unlikely to get 5 years and 88k miles of life out of the current battery
Did you read my original post? I paid $189 for the battery and a few minutes of my time. Everything with these cars doesn't have to be a science project. I'm already 44,000 miles and near 3 years on the swap so we'll see. I'll definitely post again when I have to swap it (if I keep it that long). By not having to take the car to the dealer, I am already ahead. Some friendly advice, paying extra to swap a battery is just as lame as paying hundreds a month to drive these cars and not buying dogecoin and bitcoin every month. Trust me, buy enough dogecoin and bitcoin so when these cars crap out you can swap them out as easily as swapping the battery. 👍
DragonS6 (07-21-2023)