S7 Discussion forum for the Audi S7

On the fence about the S7 due to potholes - am I crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 10:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On the fence about the S7 due to potholes - am I crazy?

Hi all, frequent lurker and current owner of a 2010 A5. Hit 109K on the mileage and starting to think it might be time to take the value and put it towards another CPO Audi.

Got my eye on a 2013 S7 that I test drove yesterday (wow!) and absolutely love it. However, I live in NJ and the potholes on the highways over here can be awful during the months surrounding the winter, as I'm sure many of you know. The S7 I'm looking at has 20" wheels on it currently which worries me and apparently others around here based on some of the posts I've seen.

I'd have no problem going out and getting a set of wheels just for winter - is it even possible to do something like 17" with a big tire? Do others have the same issue and work through it? What's the average cost on putting together a "winter" wheel set at 19"? Are people really hitting potholes and destroying their wheels, sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow in the snow?

I'm really eager to pull the trigger on the S7 - but as you can see by my rambling list of questions, I want to be practical about whether or not it's something I can really do and not have to worry about in the winter.

Thanks all!

Last edited by uberwgn; 05-13-2016 at 06:43 AM.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Pot hotels.... HA! Sorry about that. Pot holes!
Old 05-12-2016, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by elonepb
Hi all, frequent lurker and current owner of a 2010 A5. Hit 109K on the mileage and starting to think it might be time to take the value and put it towards another CPO Audi.

Got my eye on a 2013 S7 that I test drove yesterday (wow!) and absolutely love it. However, I live in NJ and the potholes on the highways over here can be awful during the months surrounding the winter, as I'm sure many of you know. The S7 I'm looking at has 20" wheels on it currently which worries me and apparently others around here based on some of the posts I've seen.

I'd have no problem going out and getting a set of wheels just for winter - is it even possible to do something like 17" with a big tire? Do others have the same issue and work through it? What's the average cost on putting together a "winter" wheel set at 19"? Are people really hitting potholes and destroying their wheels, sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow in the snow?

I'm really eager to pull the trigger on the S7 - but as you can see by my rambling list of questions, I want to be practical about whether or not it's something I can really do and not have to worry about in the winter.

Thanks all!
Look at tirerack.com. They test fit so they have tried each of the wheels that they are selling and guarantee fitment. You'll be able to tell what size fits based on their recommendations. Looks like they recommend 19 inch wheels
Old 05-12-2016, 12:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mjfloyd1
Look at tirerack.com. They test fit so they have tried each of the wheels that they are selling and guarantee fitment. You'll be able to tell what size fits based on their recommendations. Looks like they recommend 19 inch wheels
Thanks I did check there and the total price for tires & wheels was actually more than what some of my local dealers were offering for their packages.

Would less than 19" fit?

And is this really a big enough thing to be a dealbreaker? Interested to hear from other S7 owners in the Northeast who deal with pot holes.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

I live in the Chicago area and run the factory 21" wheel setup in the summer and a 20" wheel with the Conti DWS 06 for winter wheels. I have hit a few pot holes with the 21's and so far so good. If I am on a road that is in generally crappy condition, I increase my following distance to the car ahead so I have a bit more time to react to any upcoming major rough spots. A real nasty one will take out a 18" wheel too so I say go for the car and keep your eyes on the road. Novel concept for many drivers, sadly.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

You'll probably find some good pot hotels in Colorado, Oregon, or Washington.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks I did check there and the total price for tires & wheels was actually more than what some of my local dealers were offering for their packages. Would less than 19" fit? And is this really a big enough thing to be a dealbreaker? Interested to hear from other S7 owners in the Northeast who deal with pot holes.
I'd ask them if they are willing to test fit a wheel. If they will, I'd go local.
I've bent a 18 inch wheel - cheap Chinese- on a giant pothole here in the Midwest...
Old 05-12-2016, 05:26 PM
OBP
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks all!
I am from NJ too and did not get an S7 for a number of reasons. Ended up with an MB CLS. Riding on 18 inch AMGs - was afraid to go 19 inches for the same reasons that make you concerned. I run an exclusive winter set of 18 inch AMGs on Blizzaks and another set of good weather 18 inch AMGs on OEM Contis. Hit a few potholes but nothing has happened to my wheels as yet. I run my tire inflation pressure at least 10% above OEM recommendation which is what I do on all my cars. Gives me a little more assurance of survivability. Also, I got the tire and wheel protection package so if anything happens, I will be spending time but not money at the dealers. Hope you find a solution which works for you. Where in NJ are you - I am in Bergen Cty.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:00 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Thanks I did check there and the total price for tires & wheels was actually more than what some of my local dealers were offering for their packages.

Would less than 19" fit?

And is this really a big enough thing to be a dealbreaker? Interested to hear from other S7 owners in the Northeast who deal with pot holes.
19" is the minimum to clear the front brakes. I think one person found one design of 18" that barely fit but why risk it and no clue what design it was. As it is even with 19" I have gouges on the inner barrel where you can see either a rock or piece of road salt got stuck. It sucks, but such is life. I would rather have these minor issues than not having an S6/7 at all.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gk1
19" is the minimum to clear the front brakes. I think one person found one design of 18" that barely fit but why risk it and no clue what design it was. As it is even with 19" I have gouges on the inner barrel where you can see either a rock or piece of road salt got stuck. It sucks, but such is life. I would rather have these minor issues than not having an S6/7 at all.
Thanks I guess you just live with it or you get an SUV for the winter months.

Quick Reply: On the fence about the S7 due to potholes - am I crazy?